PDA

View Full Version : Using A Mirror to Dazzle Someone?

Palanan
2018-11-17, 12:25 PM
Are there any rules for using a small mirror to dazzle someone with reflected sunlight?

I’m aware this isn’t remotely optimal, but I’m planning for this to come up in my session tonight. If there aren’t any rules per se, I’m thinking of making this a full-round action for a ranged touch attack, with the target dazzled if successful.

Does this sound workable? I’m not looking for magical alternatives, just wondering if this is a reasonable houserule for using a mirror.

Zaq
2018-11-17, 12:33 PM
I don't think you'll find rules support. Making something up should be pretty easy, though.

Your touch attack idea is kind of clunky but seems overall mostly reasonable, or you could make it a save of some kind (Fort to match the flare spell or Reflex because you're reacting to something being aimed at you), maybe DC 10 or 10 + user's DEX or something. Assuming that the conditions are right, at least. I wouldn't let you do this with a torch unless you're already targeting something with light sensitivity. I think you'd probably need sunlight or some equivalent most of the time.

You're 100% right that this really isn't going to ever be optimal. I honestly don't know why WotC bothered writing the dazzled condition into the game. It's just something to keep track of that basically never matters.

Palanan
2018-11-17, 01:11 PM
Excellent, thanks--just the sort of feedback I was looking for.

The other side of this is that the mirror will probably give away the owner's position. Should this give something like a -5 or -10 to Hide checks while trying to dazzle someone?

Selion
2018-11-17, 01:36 PM
Are there any rules for using a small mirror to dazzle someone with reflected sunlight?

I’m aware this isn’t remotely optimal, but I’m planning for this to come up in my session tonight. If there aren’t any rules per se, I’m thinking of making this a full-round action for a ranged touch attack, with the target dazzled if successful.

Does this sound workable? I’m not looking for magical alternatives, just wondering if this is a reasonable houserule for using a mirror.

Pathfinder has almost exactly what you are searching for (the only difference is that you use your weapon's blade instead of a mirror).
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/blinding-flash-combat

heavyfuel
2018-11-17, 07:16 PM
I'd just rule as an Aid Another. Hit ac 10 (with -4 due to improvised weaponry) to make enemy take -2 to atk

Though to be fair I always allow for ranged aid another

zlefin
2018-11-17, 07:26 PM
in pathfinder you can use the dirty trick maneuver to cause dazzled
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/Gamemastering/Combat/#TOC-Dirty-Trick

Crake
2018-11-18, 02:27 PM
in pathfinder you can use the dirty trick maneuver to cause dazzled
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/Gamemastering/Combat/#TOC-Dirty-Trick

Except you can also use dirty trick to make someone blinded, so why not just do that?

Selion
2018-11-18, 04:35 PM
Except you can also use dirty trick to make someone blinded, so why not just do that?

The rule itself specifies that the dm is arbiter of what can be accomplished with a dirty trick,depending on situations.

Doctor Awkward
2018-11-18, 05:57 PM

The best method is likely to simply houserule in a mundane version of the flare cantrip, since the purpose of that spell is to do exactly what you want: hit someone with a burst of light in order to mess with their vision. Perhaps have it last a round or two rather than a minute, with a Fortitude DC of 12 or 13 to negate.

The idea of making it a touch attack, or allowing a Reflex save to negate, places the onus of defense on the person being affected. This suggests that they are using their wits and reflexes to literally "dodge" a beam of light that is headed at them. Even for D&D such a feat is insanity. This is why the flare spell is a Fortitude save. You cannot react to this in time to avoid it, but you can withstand it.

Crake
2018-11-18, 06:16 PM
The rule itself specifies that the dm is arbiter of what can be accomplished with a dirty trick,depending on situations.

Ultimately, yeah, but you know, shoot for the stars, at least you'll hit the moon. Might as well ask your DM if you can use it to blind, and he might say yes, otherwise, he'll say no and go for dazzled instead, but may as well go for the chance. If you don't ask you're sure to not get blind.

I mean, this is the SUN we're talking about. That thing'll blind you for a moment if it randomly gets shone right into your eye.