PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Barbarian: Path of the Rage Mage - Please Critique

superninja109
2018-11-17, 03:29 PM
deleted........

JNAProductions
2018-11-17, 04:09 PM
So, as an action, make a check. Then, roll a d20, and get a totally random result from it?

Hard. Pass.

theVoidWatches
2018-11-17, 04:16 PM
I like it. But maybe consider swapping out one of the upcasting features for one that would let you control what you're casting a little? It could let you choose a number within your strength modifier of the number rolled, maybe.

theVoidWatches
2018-11-17, 05:09 PM
Rather than lower the DC, I would say just make it a limited use thing, where you can do it a certain number of times per rage. Maybe once per point of your strength modifier (minimum once) during each rage.

jiriku
2018-11-17, 06:47 PM
I agree, needs better names. Raging Magical Blows sounds like an angry sex technique. That's going to generate some really unfortunate jokes around the gaming table.

This is a really funny read. It gave me quite a few chuckles. But some of your random spell effects could cause a complete TPK in the wrong circumstances. I would categorically never play in a group that included a member of this class. A bad string of luck could lead to you killing half the party in a fireball and then leaving the rest incapacitated in a hypnotic pattern while the enemy picks them off one by one. Which would then lead to the players taking you out back and beating you with sticks. Friends don't let friends play rage mages.

jiriku
2018-11-18, 01:49 PM
It's not my particular cup of tea, but at this point I at least wouldn't run in terror if another player brought in a rage mage character. Players who like randomness and enjoy seeing their characters caught up in self-inflicted difficulties (and there are a lot of players like that) would probably find it pretty interesting.