PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Combat Expertise, Riposte, and charging

Mars Ultor
2018-11-17, 08:48 PM
I’m playing a Fighter/Rogue, he’s got a +8 Base Attack Bonus. Amongst his feats are Power Attack, Improved Trip, Knock-down, Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, Shock Trooper, and Riposte.

My thought was that I would charge into battle the first round using “Heedless Charge” from Shock Trooper and do enough damage to potentially Knock-down my foe. That would allow me to put points into Power Attack, but keep my to hit bonus high by taking seven points away from my AC (normally 23). However, I’d take the remaining point of Base Attack Bonus and using Combat Expertise put it toward AC. That would “activate” the Riposte feat, which allows me an Attack of Opportunity against the first opponent that attacks and misses me that round. Being attacked by a prone person would somewhat negate the lowered AC in that round.

That led to the question of whether or not that’s actually possible. Combat Expertise can be used as part of an “attack action” or “full attack action” in melee combat. Does the attack part of a charge count as an attack action? One of the other players says it’s not possible because of the “attack action” clause, however I’m thinking an “attack action” is just an attack, it’s not something different from an attack made as a standard action.

Is this just peculiar wording, or are the attacks made as part of charge different, and can’t be combined with Combat Expertise?

Also, Combat Expertise remains in effect until your next action. Riposte says the first opponent to attack and miss that round. I’m assuming if I use Combat Expertise on my initiative in Round 1, and someone attacks me and misses in Round 2 before my turn, Riposte is still active. That’s correct? Wouldn't it make sense to keep one point of BAB in Combat Expertise most of the time just to keep Riposte in effect?

Finally, normally Attacks of Opportunity are a repeat of your previous attack, you can’t make changes. Does that mean that if I charge using Shock Trooper and have seven points devoted to Power Attack, if I’m allowed an Attack of Opportunity because of Riposte, I’d add my extra Power Attack damage to that attack?

Necroticplague
2018-11-18, 06:03 AM
That led to the question of whether or not that’s actually possible. Combat Expertise can be used as part of an “attack action” or “full attack action” in melee combat. Does the attack part of a charge count as an attack action? One of the other players says it’s not possible because of the “attack action” clause, however I’m thinking an “attack action” is just an attack, it’s not something different from an attack made as a standard action.

Is this just peculiar wording, or are the attacks made as part of charge different, and can’t be combined with Combat Expertise?

Combat Expertise says 'the attack action', which is a specific standard action using action. So a normal charge doesn't allow for Combat Expertise to occur.

If it could do what you want, that would mean that, on a full-attack, you could change your Expertise amount on each hit so you gain the full benefits while taking almost no real penalties (a penalty to attack on an attack that probably wasn't gonna hit anyway). It would also make specifying that you could use it on a full-attack redundant, since you could use it on the attacks that full-attack consists of.