PDA

View Full Version : Looking for alignment restricted classes

Pleh
2018-11-18, 01:14 PM
Specifically base classes. PrCs are a little more than I was looking for at this point.

I'm exploring variant rules for 3.5 (in this case Generic Classes) and I came across an idea.

Title Feats. Title feats have alignment requirements or codes of conduct because certain conduct just interferes with the power you're drawing from.

For example, you could take the Paladin title as a feat, becoming bound to the Paladin's Code and gaining Smite, Lay on Hands, and Detect Evil. This is open as a feat with no prereqs (but the benefits are lost for breaking the Code).

Instead of Smite per day, you get Paladin Points. Each point charges your next attack with Smite damage. You gain paladin points with your morning meditation rituals (probably in the ballpark of 3+character level) and you get bonus points when you're exceptionally well behaved (you can lose points for bad behavior). You can spend points to Lay on Hands and you Detect Evil at will as long as you have at least 1 point unspent.

The cool thing is that Paladin becomes a Title that can be assumed by a Warrior, Expert, or Spellcaster.

Similarly, Monk is a title for Generic classes. Monk code is about self control and dematerialism mixed with charity towards others. Benefits are Monk AC bonus (still unarmored) and a bonus Good Save, plus you can spend Ki Points to perform Stunning Fist or Flurry of Blows.

Note these are very rough initial concepts. I'm less concerned with how to build the title feats correctly.

I'm more looking to find classes that could potentially offer Title feats.

So far, I've got Paladin, Monk, Knight, and Druid/Shaman.

Are there any other base classes with distinct abilities and/or flavor that are normally restricted by code of conduct?

DeTess
2018-11-18, 01:59 PM
Crusader and incarnate have some changes based on the pc's allignment.

Troacctid
2018-11-18, 02:16 PM
Bard and Barbarian are right there in core.

Incarnate, Soulborn, Warlock, Dread Necromancer, Death Master...

RedMage125
2018-11-18, 02:28 PM
How has no one mentioned cleric yet? It's by far the most restricted class, by alignment or race, in the game.

A cleric may not be of an alignment more than "one step" away from deity's alignment (if he has a deity). In addition, the only way a cleric can be True Neutral is if his deity is (which leads some people to wonder if deity-less clerics are permitted to be Neutral).

Deities who list specific races in their portfolio may ONLY have clerics of those races (clerics of Moradin can ONLY be dwarves).

A cleric may not cast spells with an alignment descriptor that are opposite his own OR HIS DEITY'S.

A cleric produces a more powerful alignment aura that corresponds to the deity's alignment, not his own.

So a level 10 lawful evil cleric of Wee Jas has a strong lawful aura, but only a faint evil one (as any other 10 HD humanoid). He may also not cast spells with the Good descriptor, even though his fellow cleric (lawful neutral) of the same goddess may cast both good and evil spells. Also, a level 10 neutral good cleric of Heironious has a strong lawful aura, even though he is not lawful.

Pleh
2018-11-18, 03:44 PM
Crusader and incarnate have some changes based on the pc's allignment.

How has no one mentioned cleric yet? It's by far the most restricted class, by alignment or race, in the game.

A cleric may not be of an alignment more than "one step" away from deity's alignment (if he has a deity). In addition, the only way a cleric can be True Neutral is if his deity is (which leads some people to wonder if deity-less clerics are permitted to be Neutral).

Deities who list specific races in their portfolio may ONLY have clerics of those races (clerics of Moradin can ONLY be dwarves).

A cleric may not cast spells with an alignment descriptor that are opposite his own OR HIS DEITY'S.

A cleric produces a more powerful alignment aura that corresponds to the deity's alignment, not his own.

So a level 10 lawful evil cleric of Wee Jas has a strong lawful aura, but only a faint evil one (as any other 10 HD humanoid). He may also not cast spells with the Good descriptor, even though his fellow cleric (lawful neutral) of the same goddess may cast both good and evil spells. Also, a level 10 neutral good cleric of Heironious has a strong lawful aura, even though he is not lawful.

Right. The "Wildcard" Alignments.

I forgot to mention I had thought of them, but I'm not sure where to go with them yet, because it's kind of a "Code of Conduct buffet" with them.

"You're heavily restricted... to whatever set of rules you like."

I guess I could do a "Cleric Title of [Domain]" since Spellcaster doesn't give you domains. Then any character could be a cleric, gain domain powers and follow the "code of the domain."

Could do something similar with Incarnate, crusader, and favored soul.

Bard and Barbarian are right there in core.

Incarnate, Soulborn, Warlock, Dread Necromancer, Death Master...

And then the Chaotic "Code of Coduct."

"I solemnly swear that I am up to no good."

I'm having some trouble applying the idea of Titles or particular Code of Conduct for them. "Honor amongst thieves." "Question Authority." "Snitches get stitches."

But it feels more like the common thread among these characters is their resistance to externally imposed codes of conduct. Which works, but it makes it harder to determine what benefits a Title feat would grant for defying these conventions.

I guess I had been thinking that the freedom of these lifestyles is already the benefit. You aren't bound by rules of more "decent individuals."

But I suppose I could go the other direction and make another set of Branded feats that do something similar to Title feats, but instead of imposing Codes of Conduct, you basically gain infamy and the troubles that come from being ostracized from civilization.

Thurbane
2018-11-18, 04:12 PM
Hexblade (CW): Any non-good
Mountebank (DMC) Any non-good
Samurai (CW): Any lawful

Zaq
2018-11-18, 07:37 PM
On mobile, so I forget—don’t Wu Jen have an alignment restriction? Nonlawful, I think? Or was that only in OA and not in CArc?

Pleh
2018-11-18, 07:47 PM
On mobile, so I forget—don’t Wu Jen have an alignment restriction? Nonlawful, I think? Or was that only in OA and not in CArc?

Yes, Comp Arc says, "wu jen are any nonlawful."

Goaty14
2018-11-18, 08:12 PM
Healer (Miniatures Handbook): Any Good

Pleh
2018-11-18, 08:54 PM
If you've got them, keep them coming. Getting a bigger picture of what classes had these sorts of restrictions only serves to give me better context for what their effect on the game was.

I appreciate all the input so far.