PDA

View Full Version : So Ive just mastered my wereboar curse. What now?

Kefvin
2018-11-18, 02:58 PM
As the title says I've mastered my curse and I now own it so to speak. I am a player in a team of 5 other adventurers.

Me and my DM have been discussing how the lycantropy mechanics should work. We've tentatively agreed on the following that he found on some forum:

"He can make a conscious decision to transform into a half-wereboar state (boosting AC and Str, giving him a Tusk Attacks) but has to pass a Cha Save every turn or loses control and fully transforms. If he is in the full Wereboar state he gains further bonuses but drops all weapons and must make a Cha Save with disadvantage in order to control his actions, if failed I make him attack the closest creature."

Im wondering if there are any other DMs who've had a player turn into a wereboar/wolf/rat and has any other rule etc. If so please post in this thread. Tomorrow is the first time we play where I can CHOOSE to transform as opposed to being forced to do a wisdom save every time I take damage, which admittedly has been fun, but sometimes not so good for the morale of my fellow party members.

All the best / Kefvin

Unoriginal
2018-11-18, 03:35 PM
What do you mean by "mastered my wereboar curse"?

Do you mean your PC surrendered to it? Or your DM gave you the option to stay in control despite the curse not allowing it?

Kefvin
2018-11-18, 03:42 PM
What do you mean by "mastered my wereboar curse"?

Do you mean your PC surrendered to it? Or your DM gave you the option to stay in control despite the curse not allowing it?

My DM gave me control over it after having succeeded in not transforming by making 9 successful wisdom saves.

The Aboleth
2018-11-18, 08:06 PM
It seems like you don't actually have control beyond the first transformation because you're still rolling saves. I haven't had a lycanthrope in any of my groups yet, but if I were to let my players have control over the curse I'd rule they no longer had to roll saves.

If I were you, I'd lobby your DM to give you total control. Maybe at the cost of not being able to FULLY transform anymore (because doing so means you're giving control over to "the beast" and thus losing your human* ability to reason), if your DM is cautious about making you too OP. Half-transformation at-will would be a good compromise, I think.

Alternatively, maybe work with your DM to develop a sidequest that gives you total control? Obviously make sure the party is ok with it first, but that might be the best solution for all involved especially if your party members are tired of the curse's drawbacks when you can't control it.

*or Elven, or Halfling, or Dragonborn, etc.

Gastronomie
2018-11-18, 08:17 PM
As DM I would classify mastering the curse as a sort of Wonderous Item that you are attuned to (meaning you can only be attuned to two other magic items - a method of balancing it up). Once per day, as a bonus action, you gain a massive boost including resistance to nonmagical and non-silver weapons, better attacks, and so on. Consider making it scale with level or unlock new abilities as the campaign progresses.

I don't like the idea of losing control. First off that's not mastering the curse, and second, losing control is not a fun experience for the player.

The Aboleth
2018-11-18, 08:58 PM
As DM I would classify mastering the curse as a sort of Wonderous Item that you are attuned to (meaning you can only be attuned to two other magic items - a method of balancing it up). Once per day, as a bonus action, you gain a massive boost including resistance to nonmagical and non-silver weapons, better attacks, and so on. Consider making it scale with level or unlock new abilities as the campaign progresses.

I don't like the idea of losing control. First off that's not mastering the curse, and second, losing control is not a fun experience for the player.

As a DM, let me just say I like this idea so much I'll probably use it in my campaign if any of my players contract lycanthropy.

Tvtyrant
2018-11-19, 02:37 AM
As the title says I've mastered my curse and I now own it so to speak. I am a player in a team of 5 other adventurers.

Me and my DM have been discussing how the lycantropy mechanics should work. We've tentatively agreed on the following that he found on some forum:

"He can make a conscious decision to transform into a half-wereboar state (boosting AC and Str, giving him a Tusk Attacks) but has to pass a Cha Save every turn or loses control and fully transforms. If he is in the full Wereboar state he gains further bonuses but drops all weapons and must make a Cha Save with disadvantage in order to control his actions, if failed I make him attack the closest creature."

Im wondering if there are any other DMs who've had a player turn into a wereboar/wolf/rat and has any other rule etc. If so please post in this thread. Tomorrow is the first time we play where I can CHOOSE to transform as opposed to being forced to do a wisdom save every time I take damage, which admittedly has been fun, but sometimes not so good for the morale of my fellow party members.

All the best / Kefvin

I would probably stick the rage/frenzy restrictions on it. While transformed you can't cast or do complex actions, after the fight you suffer a level of exhaustion. I would even let you fully transform but you can't use a weapon and gain 2 levels of exhaustion afterwards.

So now it is kind of like a rage/wildshape baby.