PDA

View Full Version : Making A Good SwashPark

Afgncaap5
2018-11-18, 05:26 PM
Swashpark
n. A park for Swashbucklers, derived from the term Skatepark or Skate Park.

If you've got a Swashbuckler, or other mobility-minded players who like climbing, jumping, swinging, capering, and cavorting during combat, what should you toss in to fight scenes? I mean, a few things are a must...

-Impressively spiraling staircase
-chandeliers for swinging upon and/or dropping onto enemies
-tables or other potentially-mobile surfaces for standing on
-about twelve level 1 commoners with short swords and 21 hit points between them

...but when I started just listing environmental elements, I felt like I was missing something.

Something to add *flow* to the environment.

I don't know if it's a macguffin to chase, a bar for ducking behind, or the ability to set most of the background on fire, multiple similar doors for farces, or something more intrinsic to the concept, but designing a space for that kind of buckled swashing seems to have some ephemeral, intangible, and yet wholly vital element that I can't quite get right. Any suggestions?

Saintheart
2018-11-18, 08:43 PM
How about movement in the environment itself?

e.g. the fight is happening in a giant clockwork mechanism, with cogs rolling round and round for people to hang onto at 10:00 a.m. and leap off onto another mechanism at 2:00 pm.

Changes in vertical levels, the equivalent of escalators. Grab a rope, cut it below you, and go whizzing up onto another level.

Sudden changes in the floor: lots of marbles rolled across smooth surfaces, etc.

The ability to make sudden changes in the environment that change the nature of the fight: the "rolling wheel" swordfight in Pirates of the Caribbean, that sort of thing.

I'm also positive, in passing, that there's a set of rollerskates in Eberron, but I can't find it at the moment.