PDA

View Full Version : Good but potentially unknown games

somedudeguy
2018-11-18, 06:18 PM
Hey, I'm new here so I thought I might as well make myself useful and arrive bearing gifts! Hopefully this thread can be a place for people to put up some recommendations for games they think are worth playing, but not a lot of people know about.

I'll start it off with one card game and one computer game.

The card game is called Sentinels of the Multiverse. It's a cooperative card game where all the players take on the role of a superhero. Each hero has their own deck full of equipment and powers to represent their abilities. The players team up to defeat one of several villains. The villain deck runs itself and will play a card each turn before all the heroes go. These cards have a powerful effect to mess up the heroes, either by damaging them, destroying their equipment, making a new minion they have to fight, or many more annoying things. Each villain is different but usually the heroes win by doing enough damage to reduce the villain's health to 0 before they all get defeated. It plays a lot like the horde variant of magic, if anyone is familiar with that. The publishers are super cool and have a ton of background story about the world. There's also a digital version you can find on Steam, and it's cross compatible with mobile devices so you can play on your phone with someone else on PC.

The video game is called Unloved. It started as a mod for Doom 2, but was converted into a stand alone game a couple years ago. It's kind of a survival horror/FPS/roguelike hybrid. You explore a maze of rooms in what has to be one of the spookiest environments I have ever seen in a video game (seriously, look up some screenshots. Every room positively oozes "something is very wrong here"). The thing to differentiate it between most other FPS games is that the enemies are terrifying! A single demon sneaking up behind you can easily take a third of your health off before you have time to turn around and shoot it. The roguelike part comes in that after each run you get "trinkets" to enhance your characters ability: more starting ammo, higher total health, faster reload time, etc. These are permanent and persist between runs, so finding a combination that works for you and then melting down stuff you don't need to upgrade the stuff you want is a big part of the game. The "best" part: there's an AI director that spawns more enemies in response to you picking up stuff, including the keys you have to pick up to beat the level. It leads to a very tense atmosphere as you're running around constantly checking in every direction and evaluating whether you really need to pick up that health pack right now, since there's an equal chance of it causing a few mooks to spawn now, or else adding monsters to a massive wave of death that will spill out from the next door you open. I will say that it's not really worth buying unless you have a friend or two who also are interested, since it's a lot less fun solo and not many people play it anymore, but if it sounds interesting I'm always up for a game.

Starwulf
2018-11-18, 07:49 PM
We already have a 4 page thread devoted to this topic that is active and still on the first page of this subset of the forums, it can be found here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?572303-What-are-your-favorite-games-that-nobody-s-heard-of