PDA

View Full Version : Basic question concerning two weapon fighting damage.

Mark8147
2018-11-19, 06:55 AM
So I've played my first few sessions of 5e and I'm totally hooked, but have a few questions regarding the damage of my dual weild fighter. So this is what I've been doing so far. I have +2 proficiency and +4 dex.

Roll d20 and add +6 (proficiency and dex) to see if I hit.

Attack with my main hand and roll a d6 for damage.

Use a bonus action to use two weapon fighting.

Roll d6 for damage and add +6 for my ability modifier.

Is that right or do I need to roll another d20 to see if my second attack hits? Am I also calculating my ability modifier correctly and adding it to the right values?

Unoriginal
2018-11-19, 07:09 AM
You have to roll separately for each attacks. And unless you have a feature for it, you don't add your DEX mod to damage for the secondary attack.

Also you never add proficiency to damage.

So it's:
-first attack +6 to hit, 1d6+4 damage
-second attack +6 to hit, 1d6 damage

Mark8147
2018-11-19, 07:16 AM
You have to roll separately for each attacks. And unless you have a feature for it, you don't add your DEX mod to damage for the secondary attack.

Also you never add proficiency to damage.

So it's:
-first attack +6 to hit, 1d6+4 damage
-second attack +6 to hit, 1d6 damage
Thanks very much, for two - weapon fighting it says I add my ability modifier to the damage of my second had attack. So that's +6?

Unoriginal
2018-11-19, 07:54 AM
Thanks very much, for two - weapon fighting it says I add my ability modifier to the damage of my second had attack. So that's +6?

It's +4. You never add proficiency to damage

Lombra
2018-11-19, 08:04 AM
The Ability Modifier is the bonus that one of your six Ability Scores gives you, the Proficiency Bonus is another independent modifier that scales with character level as shown by the class tables.

Mark8147
2018-11-19, 08:52 AM
Thanks everyone, so, for two-weapon fighting, do I need to roll a second d20 to see if my second attack lands or do I only do it once for both attacks?

Aett_Thorn
2018-11-19, 09:13 AM
Thanks everyone, so, for two-weapon fighting, do I need to roll a second d20 to see if my second attack lands or do I only do it once for both attacks?

You need to roll separately for each attack. If you get the Extra Attack feature at level 5, then you’d make three different Attack rolls (two for your main hand attacks, and one for your off-hand attack).

Mark8147
2018-11-19, 09:43 AM
OK all sorted. Thank you all for the info.

KorvinStarmast
2018-11-19, 05:10 PM
If your character is a Fighter, and has chosen the Two Weapon Fighting style, then yes you add dex damage (bonus) to a successful attack.

sophontteks
2018-11-20, 12:26 PM
Also important. Your offhand attack uses up your bonus action. So when you attack with 2 weapons you've used up both your attack action and your bonus action, leaving you with only movement and a reaction left for your turn.

Since you only have one bonus action, you can only ever attack with your offhand weapon once per turn, even if you have multiple attacks, and even if you gain a second attack action.