PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Multiclass Help - Lv. 5 Swash Rouge

graphicnovel10
2018-11-19, 11:49 AM
Hey guys! This topic is my first post on Giant, but I've read a lot from this form, and I need advice.

Our campaign is DnD 5e within the new Eberron content. I've been playing as an Eladrin Elf whose a Swashbuckling Rouge named Elisana Von Erwhich. She has reached Lv. 5.

However, I feel as if she needs to expand her abilities and dip into other levels besides rouge.

Our current party is

Channeling Blood Hunter (Order of the Mutant)
Orc Barbarian (Path of the Ancestral Guardian)
Swiftstride Shifter Monk (Way of the Kensi) and occasionally... Tiefling Paladin (Oath of Crown)

The backstory for Elisana: Long story short, she worked for the house of Lyrander working on airships until the one she was on crashed and created many damages and incurred many bills for Lyrander. Now she's SOL trying to find work. She enjoys her gold and due to her Eladrin nature: is flaky, flighty and a tad bipolar.

I've never multi-classed before, but I think staying pure rouge will decrease my interest her in abilities and her versatility. Plus most of the group choose the mobile feat (we don't coordinate well) so the need for a rouge diminished. Her two top stats are Dexterity and Charisma. She also has an inspiring leader feat.

I'm debating between melee (Fighter) or magical (Bard/Sorcerer/Warlock?)

I believe for the goodness of the group, I should go towards magic because we don't have very many magical options, but many melee fighters. However, I do want it to make sense with her background.

If I could get some other opinions, I would appreciate it. No one in the group has ever multiclassed, and the DM wants to remain partial in suggesting options. All sourcebooks are okay to use, including UA. Homebrew is a possibility, but it is slim.

I appreciate all responses! Thank you. :)

Trustypeaches
2018-11-19, 11:57 AM
If you're looking for a caster, I'd either go Hexblade Warlock or College of Swords Bard.

The former offers more to you as a melee attacker and blaster, while the latter makes you a more well rounded spellcaster. Honestly though you're not going to be able to offer a whole lot in combat as a 1st / 2nd level spellcaster at levels 6-7. It'll give you some out of combat utility though.

Man_Over_Game
2018-11-19, 02:10 PM
Hey guys! This topic is my first post on Giant, but I've read a lot from this form, and I need advice.

Our campaign is DnD 5e within the new Eberron content. I've been playing as an Eladrin Elf whose a Swashbuckling Rouge named Elisana Von Erwhich. She has reached Lv. 5.

However, I feel as if she needs to expand her abilities and dip into other levels besides rouge.

Our current party is

Channeling Blood Hunter (Order of the Mutant)
Orc Barbarian (Path of the Ancestral Guardian)
Swiftstride Shifter Monk (Way of the Kensi) and occasionally... Tiefling Paladin (Oath of Crown)

The backstory for Elisana: Long story short, she worked for the house of Lyrander working on airships until the one she was on crashed and created many damages and incurred many bills for Lyrander. Now she's SOL trying to find work. She enjoys her gold and due to her Eladrin nature: is flaky, flighty and a tad bipolar.

I've never multi-classed before, but I think staying pure rouge will decrease my interest her in abilities and her versatility. Plus most of the group choose the mobile feat (we don't coordinate well) so the need for a rouge diminished. Her two top stats are Dexterity and Charisma. She also has an inspiring leader feat.

I'm debating between melee (Fighter) or magical (Bard/Sorcerer/Warlock?)

I believe for the goodness of the group, I should go towards magic because we don't have very many magical options, but many melee fighters. However, I do want it to make sense with her background.

If I could get some other opinions, I would appreciate it. No one in the group has ever multiclassed, and the DM wants to remain partial in suggesting options. All sourcebooks are okay to use, including UA. Homebrew is a possibility, but it is slim.

This is actually quite a painful situation you're in. Swashbucklers have a lot of issues going into spellcasting, as you either miss out on main action attacks (terrible), or you can't afford to use your Bonus Action attacks (problematic, but not terrible).

You still have a (select few) routes you could go.

Talk to your DM about allowing you to use Charisma as your spellcasting modifier for a Bladesinger. They already have Performance, you're already an Elf, and Lore-wise it's not far off. Bladesingers mesh extremely well with Swashbucklers, and will help fill in the need for both a spellcaster and a tanky melee fighter.

Hexblade is an option that will get you some higher AC and a possible shield. Booming Blade + Swashbuckler is a solid combo, and something you'll greatly enjoy.

Paladin, with many options. You won't get much spellcasting, though.

Talk to your DM about changing subclasses. With the situation of the team, he may be willing to change your subclass to Arcane Trickster, which will fill in a lot of the gaps your team has. Additionally, Eladrin are considered more magical than most elves, so you may be able to use that in your favor.

MThurston
2018-11-19, 02:25 PM
Here is the thing about dipping into other classes as a rogue, spells don't count towards S.A.. it has to be a finesse weapon or a ranged weapon.

Also for every 2 levels you take you lose our on a sneak attack die.

With that 5 levels of rogue will make you lose 2d6 sneak attack, so make it count.

Fighter can be nice so that you can get a fighting style, surge, second wind and a second attack.

Hexblade is nice if you have a good cha. It adds a hex into the equation. This will make up for the one if the sneak attack dice. It also works with not have a S.A. opportunity.

The issue is bonus actions. Fighter is the only one that leaves them open. With Hexblade you will need it to move hex and cast some spells.

Trustypeaches
2018-11-19, 03:58 PM
Hexblade is nice if you have a good cha. It adds a hex into the equation. This will make up for the one if the sneak attack dice. It also works with not have a S.A. opportunity.

The issue is bonus actions. Fighter is the only one that leaves them open. With Hexblade you will need it to move hex and cast some spells.If you're a swashbuckler you aren't so starved for bonus actions, since you aren't always using them on Disengage, and you aren't always commited to using your second hand attack (in fact if you dip Swashbuckler you should probably just Sword and Board for the extra AC).

Also keep in mind that Warlock dip gets you Booming Blade, which adds a 1d8 to your melee strikes even without the Rider. That's at least 1 die of sneak attack covered.

Trustypeaches
2018-11-19, 04:00 PM
Also you don't need great Charisma to get good stuff out of a Warlock dip (14 should be enough).

Booming Blade and Hex don't benefit from your spellcasting stat, neither does Hexblade's Curse. You can easily stick with DEX if you so choose while getting a bit of spellcasting and a solid damage boost.

Willie the Duck
2018-11-19, 10:36 PM

Than hopefully you won't consider it too pedantic when I point out that the word you are looking for is 'rogue' (a scamp, thief, or scoundrel) not 'rouge' (pink cheek makeup).

Vexacia
2018-11-21, 03:48 AM
Bard, easily. I would in fact recommend against Hexblade rather than for it, as Hexblade primarily offers very selfish benefits and your group is already very chaotically and selfishly built.

With a respectable Charisma (as an Eladrin whose highest stats are Dex/Cha I'm assuming you've got at least a 16 Charisma), you can reasonably reliably use a whole bunch of utility spells and you've got at least 3 Inspiration dice. Your group would absolutely love it if your opening salvo turn 1 is dropping a Faerie Fire on the enemy and then throwing some Inspiration onto one of your buddies.

Your group is also very light on utility and control, which Bard handily offers solutions for in the form of spells like Minor Illusion, Silent Image, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Dissonant Whispers, Hold Person, Blindness/Deafness, Silence, and others.

Your group will also love the occasional Healing Word pickmeup to bring someone who is down and making death saving throws immediately back into the fight.

Out of combat, a Bard dip or split will also help shore up your social game (and help you potentially weasel your way into more gold than you'd otherwise be able to wrangle out of people without magic, using spells like Suggestion or Enthrall or Friends).

Dip 3 for subclass & additional expertise. Valor if you want a shield, Swords if you want TWF.

If you like what you've been getting from Bard so far, split (no longer a dip at this point, let's be honest) all the way to Bard 6 for Extra Attack which is just amazing for Rogues.

If you really like what you've been getting by Bard 6, split one further to Bard 7 for 4th level spells.

If your game is still going after that (character level 12, or a really long time from now), you'll personally have a much better feel for if you want more Rogue features or more Bard features and spells than any advice we could possibly offer you right now.

CTurbo
2018-11-21, 04:16 AM
I played a Swashbuckler with a single level of Draconic Sorcerer and it was a great combo. Sorcerer gave me 13+Dex AC, Booming Blade and 3 other cantrips, and two spells a day. I took Mage Hand, Minor Illusion, Control Flames, Shield, and Charm Person

Bloodcloud
2018-11-21, 02:02 PM
Sorcerer, and when you get metamagic you can use subtle spell and quicken spell. Take primarily spells that provide utility rather than damage.

Booming/greenflame blade are your cantrip. They mesh with sneak attack well and will keep your at-will damage somewhat to scale. Quicken gives you the bursts you need, subtle allows you to keep roguing while magicking.

Not sure about subclass, but given the wide need for spells, divine soul might be the top choice. Gold dragon would augment your greenflame blade and keep you with decent hp. Storm could be a lot of fun, because you will be in melee a lot anyway.

stoutstien
2018-11-21, 09:11 PM
An other option is just grabbing magic initiate or ritual caster. Rogue's have at least one spare feat slot and this way you don't have to sacrifice sneak attack dice.

graphicnovel10
2018-12-01, 12:45 PM
This is actually quite a painful situation you're in. Swashbucklers have a lot of issues going into spellcasting, as you either miss out on main action attacks (terrible), or you can't afford to use your Bonus Action attacks (problematic, but not terrible).

You still have a (select few) routes you could go.

Talk to your DM about allowing you to use Charisma as your spellcasting modifier for a Bladesinger. They already have Performance, you're already an Elf, and Lore-wise it's not far off. Bladesingers mesh extremely well with Swashbucklers, and will help fill in the need for both a spellcaster and a tanky melee fighter.

Hexblade is an option that will get you some higher AC and a possible shield. Booming Blade + Swashbuckler is a solid combo, and something you'll greatly enjoy.

Paladin, with many options. You won't get much spellcasting, though.

Talk to your DM about changing subclasses. With the situation of the team, he may be willing to change your subclass to Arcane Trickster, which will fill in a lot of the gaps your team has. Additionally, Eladrin are considered more magical than most elves, so you may be able to use that in your favor.

Thank you for your suggestions! I'll speak with the DM about blade-slinging; it makes sense. Honestly, I wanted to play Eldarin for the season changes, and my magical "aura" is a significant part of my backstory which would make sense of channelling it to magic subclasses. Otherwise, Hexblade is a possibility, I just don't know how to do the whole patron-esque thing.

Our group had more options initially, but we've had our fair share of drop-outs and fill-ins to the core group we have now. Thanks for the help again!

graphicnovel10
2018-12-01, 02:09 PM
Bard, easily. I would in fact recommend against Hexblade rather than for it, as Hexblade primarily offers very selfish benefits and your group is already very chaotically and selfishly built.

With a respectable Charisma (as an Eladrin whose highest stats are Dex/Cha I'm assuming you've got at least a 16 Charisma), you can reasonably reliably use a whole bunch of utility spells and you've got at least 3 Inspiration dice. Your group would absolutely love it if your opening salvo turn 1 is dropping a Faerie Fire on the enemy and then throwing some Inspiration onto one of your buddies.

Your group is also very light on utility and control, which Bard handily offers solutions for in the form of spells like Minor Illusion, Silent Image, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Dissonant Whispers, Hold Person, Blindness/Deafness, Silence, and others.

Your group will also love the occasional Healing Word pickmeup to bring someone who is down and making death saving throws immediately back into the fight.

Out of combat, a Bard dip or split will also help shore up your social game (and help you potentially weasel your way into more gold than you'd otherwise be able to wrangle out of people without magic, using spells like Suggestion or Enthrall or Friends).

Dip 3 for subclass & additional expertise. Valor if you want a shield, Swords if you want TWF.

If you like what you've been getting from Bard so far, split (no longer a dip at this point, let's be honest) all the way to Bard 6 for Extra Attack which is just amazing for Rogues.

If you really like what you've been getting by Bard 6, split one further to Bard 7 for 4th level spells.

If your game is still going after that (character level 12, or a really long time from now), you'll personally have a much better feel for if you want more Rogue features or more Bard features and spells than any advice we could possibly offer you right now.

I was thinking about going fighter at one point for the the TWF. So being a sword bard + swash makes sense. So now I'm really torn between Sword Bard, Bladeslinger, or Sorcerer. Eldarin = intate magic...

OracularPoet
2018-12-01, 02:36 PM
Storm Sorcerer fluffs well with Lyrandar, even though you’re not technically dragonmarked. BB right off the bat, eventual twinning, though still not really optimal. Glamour Bard would be flavorful as an eladrin, and interacts well with a fast party. Level 6 you could command foes to lie prone before your melee-heavy comrades.

On edit: lore bard cutting words is on-point for charismatic swashbuckler, as well. Could reasonably look forward to grabbing counterspell to help your party, eventually.

djreynolds
2018-12-01, 03:28 PM
What magic are looking for?
Anything specific. If it's just booming blade, that 1 level draconic sorcerer suggested above is quite good.

Do you want invisibility, or darkness, or fly or fireball? Or haste. Ritual stuff or healing.

What are you stats? Could you wait til your next ASI to bump up one, so you meet the prerequisites?

Why magic? What skills expertise do you have?

dspeyer
2018-12-02, 02:34 AM
Your party's short on magic. I'd suggest sorcerer -- for the metamagic. Quickened Booming/GF Blade is basically a third attack, which goes well with a mostly violent build (remember that cantrips scale with *character* level), and Subtle Spell is handy if you're doing any sort of stealth or deception.