PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Assorted Magic Items (AKA abusing item creation rules)

rferries
2018-11-19, 09:20 PM
Amulet of Power
This bejewelled amulet is inscribed with three tiny sigils. It grants its bearer a +3 bonus to their caster level.
Strong conjuration; CL 13th; Craft Wondrous Item, create magic tattoo; Price 58,500 gp.

Helm of Good Hope
This golden helm radiates an aura of powerful hope. The bearer and all her allies within 30 feet gain the benefits of the good hope spell and are immune to crushing despair and similar effects.
Moderate enchantment; CL 7th; Craft Magic Arms & Armour, good hope; Price 84,000 gp.

Ring of Glibness
The bearer of this silver ring gains the benefits of glibness.
Moderate enchantment; CL 7th; Forge Ring, glibness; Price 63,000 gp.

Ring of Powerful Build
The bearer of this iron ring gains the Powerful Build special quality. They are treated as being their own size category or one size category larger, whichever would be more beneficial to them for a given purpose (grapple checks, weapon damage, etc).
Faint transmutation; CL 1st; Forge Ring, enlarge person; Price 4,000 gp.

Ring of Slight Build
The bearer of this mithral ring gains the Slight Build special quality. They are treated as being their own size category or one size category smaller, whichever would be more beneficial to them for a given purpose (Hide checks, size modifier to attacks and Armour Class, etc.).
Faint transmutation; CL 1st; Forge Ring, reduce person; Price 4,000 gp.

AOKost
2018-11-23, 06:49 AM
Ring of Powerful Build
The bearer of this iron ring gains the Powerful Build special quality. They are treated as being their own size category or one size category larger, whichever would be more beneficial to them for a given purpose (grapple checks, weapon damage, etc).
Faint transmutation; CL 1st; Forge Ring, enlarge person; Price 4,000 gp.

I've always wondered, what would happen if a creature with Powerful Build put on or had some form affect/effect that gave them that 1/2 size increase. Would it give any additional benefits? Bonus to Strength, penalty to Dex for increase in size as well as other standard differences in size change? Would the item have no affect at on them at all?

Goaty14
2018-11-23, 10:11 PM
Assorted Magic Items (AKA abusing item creation rules)

You mean the custom item creation guidelines, which you're proving why they're guidelines by virtue of this thread's existence...

Thank you! Will definitely use as a source for the future.

I've always wondered, what would happen if a creature with Powerful Build put on or had some form affect/effect that gave them that 1/2 size increase. Would it give any additional benefits? Bonus to Strength, penalty to Dex for increase in size as well as other standard differences in size change? Would the item have no affect at on them at all?

Two of the same benefit from the same source don't stack, and instead overlap. If a Goliath put on the ring, it wouldn't do anything until he was reincarnated into a Kobold, at which point it would apply as normal.

"1/2 size increase" is not a term. Thus the "0.5 + 0.5 = 1" logic (that I think you are using) does not apply.

rferries
2018-11-24, 03:00 AM

You mean the custom item creation guidelines, which you're proving why they're guidelines by virtue of this thread's existence...

Thank you! Will definitely use as a source for the future.

Two of the same benefit from the same source don't stack, and instead overlap. If a Goliath put on the ring, it wouldn't do anything until he was reincarnated into a Kobold, at which point it would apply as normal.

"1/2 size increase" is not a term. Thus the "0.5 + 0.5 = 1" logic (that I think you are using) does not apply.

As Goaty14 said, generally benefits don't stack - this is most obvious with bonus types (e.g. enhancement, deflection, etc, with dodge being a notable exception). It usually applies to non-bonus benefits too - in this case many spells specify that different types of size-affecting magic don't stack. The designers were aware that munchkins exist haha.

With that said, size increases really only benefit martials, so I'd be inclined to allow leeway in that area. Another +4 on grapple checks doesn't seem overpowered when casters can rewrite reality itself, plus it allows for Hercules-type epic characters that can battle Colossal monsters in close combat.

If it matters, I should also say that Powerful Build wasn't written consistently in different books. For simplicity I use the version that gives "all the benefits of a larger size except for Strength", whereas some versions apply only to certain checks, +/- weapon damage, +/- natural weapon damage, etc.