PDA

View Full Version : bags of holding.

dsuursoo
2007-09-20, 10:26 AM
so, i got to thinking, since i've never heard it discussed...

what happens when you turn a bag of holding inside out?

can you turn it inside out it the first place?

Keld Denar
2007-09-20, 10:28 AM
so, i got to thinking, since i've never heard it discussed...

what happens when you turn a bag of holding inside out?

can you turn it inside out it the first place?

Do not question the construction of the multiverse!

/head asplodes

DaMullet
2007-09-20, 10:29 AM
As specified in the books, when you turn the bag inside out, everything fall out. It cannot be used magically until it is righted.

Sengir
2007-09-20, 10:31 AM
Bag of Holding
If the bag is overloaded, or if sharp objects pierce it (from inside or outside), the bag ruptures and is ruined. All contents are lost forever. If a bag of holding is turned inside out, its contents spill out, unharmed, but the bag must be put right before it can be used again. If living creatures are placed within the bag, they can survive for up to 10 minutes, after which time they suffocate. Retrieving a specific item from a bag of holding is a move action—unless the bag contains more than an ordinary backpack would hold, in which case retrieving a specific item is a full-round action.

Emphasis mine

Kaelaroth
2007-09-20, 10:39 AM
It kills everyone? Acts as a black hole, sucking absolutely everything in the multiverse inside it's weaving?

I think stuff falls out... and it just looks like a normal bag. Then you put it back in, and it regrows.

Duke of URL
2007-09-20, 10:45 AM
It becomes a gnidloh fo gab.

Telonius
2007-09-20, 11:55 AM
Huh. You know, I never thought about this possibility before, but suppose you turn a bag of holding inside out. It no longer functions as a bag of holding. If you put that bag inside a portable hole, or vice versa, then nothing would blow up (since the bag isn't functional).

I'm sensing the possibility for some very evil bets and devilish contract wording.:smallamused:

AKA_Bait
2007-09-20, 12:01 PM
Huh. You know, I never thought about this possibility before, but suppose you turn a bag of holding inside out. It no longer functions as a bag of holding. If you put that bag inside a portable hole, or vice versa, then nothing would blow up (since the bag isn't functional).

I'm sensing the possibility for some very evil bets and devilish contract wording.:smallamused:

I'm not sure that it not functioning would stop the blowing up. It still IS a bag of holding, the item is still imbued with the magic, it just isn't working at the moment.

Similar question: If my bag of holding got Dispelled and was nonfunctional for a few minutes, could I put it in a portable hole without the hole blowing up for the time it's magic is supressed?

(Dispelling on a Bag of Holding or a H's Handy Haversack just struck me as a really, really good way to screw with the PC's. "I take a potion" "Weren't you keeping those in the bag of holding?" "Yeah...")

Machete
2007-09-20, 12:24 PM
Wait a second. Blinding flash of obvious.

Bag of holding full of wood turned inside out, instant barracade!
Full of water, instant extinguisher.
Full of marbles, something out of scooby doo.
Full of Alchemists fire from above, instant bomb.

Oh yes, there will be blood.

AKA_Bait
2007-09-20, 12:33 PM
Wait a second. Blinding flash of obvious.

Bag of holding full of wood turned inside out, instant barracade!
Full of water, instant extinguisher.
Full of marbles, something out of scooby doo.
Full of Alchemists fire from above, instant bomb.

Oh yes, there will be blood.

Remember that bags of holding do have weight and size limits. You'd need a pretty big bag of holding dedicated to just wood for that to be much of a barricade.

It has always been a question of how it spills out when you turn it inside out, as if you have the biggest one it's concievable you could get buried in what you just dumped out.

Chaos Bringer
2007-09-20, 12:35 PM
I was thinking about grappling enemies in it and sundering the bag. According to the SRD it would immediatly destroy whatever is inside. Something to add to the permadeath thread?

Telonius
2007-09-20, 12:52 PM
With most enemies that won't be an issue - just grapple them in there and wait ten minutes. That has the advantage of not destroying the loot.

I did this in a joke campaign once. We were in the forest of Merfwud (umlaut over the u), on a mission from Guido the Elven King. We came upon a halfling and 13 dwarves - Sleepy, Happy, Grumpy, Dopey, Sneezy, Bashful, Doc, Sleazy, Greasy, Cheesy, Queasy, Breezy, and Bob. We waited until they were asleep, and snapped them up into the Bag of Holding one by one. Good times! :smallbiggrin:

Chaos Bringer
2007-09-20, 01:05 PM
With most enemies that won't be an issue - just grapple them in there and wait ten minutes. That has the advantage of not destroying the loot.

My DM LOVES recurring villians. Permanatly destroying them would be absolutely hilarious for my group.

Skyserpent
2007-09-20, 01:21 PM
Everything in the bag falls out?