PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Lizardfolk: Interesting builds and class ideas are welcome and encourage.

Sakumo1Uchiha
2018-11-19, 11:56 PM
As the title says I am possibly thinking of making a lizardfolk character in the future and is looking for some ideas.

Trustypeaches
2018-11-19, 11:58 PM
Make a lizardfolk swamp witch, Circle of Spores

Naanomi
2018-11-20, 12:16 AM
Classic is moon-Druid; turn into something with a bigger bite

I like a Lizardfolk Monk also... the bite-Master

stoutstien
2018-11-20, 12:22 AM
Str cleirc work well. Ask I'd dm
if they ok with a con or Prof based natural armor if it important rp wise.
I like the idea of a order domain lizardfolks

Sakumo1Uchiha
2018-11-20, 12:27 AM

I like a Lizardfolk Monk also... the bite-Master

Would be interesting a Life Cleric [Shaman for lizard flavor] Lizardman

CTurbo
2018-11-20, 12:37 AM
Yeah Lizardfolk Monk would be great! The bite starts off better and would scale as the Monk's unarmed attack. The racial armor is wasted though.

I do like a Lizardfolk Cleric as well.

Sakumo1Uchiha
2018-11-20, 12:40 AM
Yeah Lizardfolk Monk would be great! The bite starts off better and would scale as the Monk's unarmed attack. The racial armor is wasted though.

I do like a Lizardfolk Cleric as well.

Well you are getting into scraps up close sooooo

McSkrag
2018-11-20, 12:57 AM
A moon druid / zealot barbarian would be all about total savagery for their deity.

DarkKnightJin
2018-11-20, 01:02 AM
Well, considering that I've pulled some of the Lizardfolk "if it's dead, I can eat it, right?" mentality into a Naga (Amonkhet) Eldritch Knight character idea, by having them Catapult a flask of oil at an enemy, then light that enemy up with something like Fire Bolt or Burning Hands.. Then have a char-broiled snack at the end of combat.
Waste not, want not.

JellyPooga
2018-11-20, 06:02 AM
One of my favourite Lizardfolk builds I saw somewhere on this forum was a Lizardfolk Grappler, based on the crocodilian tactic of grabbing prey from ambush, dragging it somewhere it's at a disadvantage, then mauling it to death (death-roll optional!).

I think there's probably a few ways to do it, but Totem Barbarian (Eagle) works well enough for a basic build. Take Mobile feat to increase speed and avoid difficult terrain. Bonus Action Dash, grapple, drag foe off somewhere, then wail onn them.

Barbarian (Elk)/Rogue is a little better. It's faster and has higher Athletics and Stealth (for that real "ambush predator" feel). It works from the remarkably low level of 3 (Bar 1/Rog 2 is the basic set-up, going to Bar 5 ASAP, then probably increasing Rog to grab extra SA and features). I like this build becaue A) it gets going quickly B) Bar/Rog is a solid MC anyway C) you devil-fast (30ft basic +10ft Mobile +10ft Barb +15ft Elk = 65ft x2 Dash = 130ft); you can start from ambush 50ft away and still have enough movement to drag an unsuspecting victim 40ft away from the safety of his companions).

Another option would be Shadow Monk, utilising it's innately higher speed and Shadow Step to achieve much the same goal of "Surprise! Grapple. Drag. Maul". The Str focus required makes it somewhat MAD, buuuut a little dip of Rogue for Expertise in Athletics could mitigate that somewhat. This build is a bit of a late starter, unfortunately, though the usual Lizardfolk Monk shenanigans can always be used up until the build really hits its stride.

Aett_Thorn
2018-11-20, 06:18 AM
Lizardfolk moon Druid that turns into dinosaurs as their beast forms is always fun. No DM expects a random Allosaurus.

xroads
2018-11-20, 10:29 AM
Are you more interested in an OP build or a RP build?

If the latter, I say bust the mold. Make a lizardfolk glamour bard with a charlatan background. There is a lot of RP opportunity in portraying a very non-standard lizardfolk. And bounded accuracy will make sure you remain effective in your party.

GooeyChewie
2018-11-20, 10:47 AM
One of my favourite Lizardfolk builds I saw somewhere on this forum was a Lizardfolk Grappler, based on the crocodilian tactic of grabbing prey from ambush, dragging it somewhere it's at a disadvantage, then mauling it to death (death-roll optional!).

The summer Monster for Every Season has a Lizardfolk Human-Wrestler. I recommend that mini!

Mr.Spastic
2018-11-20, 11:04 AM
I like the thought of a sorcerer build but draconic sorcerer is a bit redundant, it would still be fun though. They make great rangers with their survivalist mindset. Monks are fun, as others have mentioned. Druids are good to, I really like moon to turn into an alligator. Barbarians are fun. I like the idea of wizard because of the armor. A warlock would be fun, I would imagine a hag as the one who they made a pact with as they live in swamps. I like the idea of a rogue, scout would be a great choice. I like the thought of a paladin, but don't know what would be a good choice.

Sakumo1Uchiha
2018-11-20, 11:15 AM
I"m seeing some very interesting ideas for possible characters I think I saw something about a rogue(scout)/Ranger(Hunter) emulating a crocodile in the swamps or forests and waiting for hours for prey in complete silence and camoflage for the kill.

Sakumo1Uchiha
2018-11-20, 11:25 AM
Are you more interested in an OP build or a RP build?

If the latter, I say bust the mold. Make a lizardfolk glamour bard with a charlatan background. There is a lot of RP opportunity in portraying a very non-standard lizardfolk. And bounded accuracy will make sure you remain effective in your party.

Maybe a mix between Rp and OP?

Guy Lombard-O
2018-11-20, 11:33 AM

... the bite-Master

Seconded. I added in a single level barbarian dip. He doesn't get angry, he goes into a feeding frenzy.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-11-20, 12:12 PM
Lizardfolk are good candidates for the elusive Strength-Monk, since their unarmed strikes remain scary even when Martial Arts is turned off. Something like Fighter 1-2/Long Death or Open Hand Monk 18-19, say.

They're also good for DIPPING Monk on an otherwise Dex-based build--you can get a good AC without having to pump Wisdom, and a 1d6 bite as a bonus action is a fair deal more appealing than 1d4. Something like Monk 1/Ranger 5/Monk +3, maybe.

Floogal
2018-11-20, 12:44 PM
Some lizardfolk Fighter/monk multiclass builds I suggested in the multiclassing thread. The first one can be modified to use lizardfolk instead of human. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?502248-Ultimate-Optimizer-s-Multiclassing-Guide&p=23285979&viewfull=1#post23285979)

Other generic mechanical thoughts:
- Check with your GM, but a lizardfolk with defensive fighting style and wearing simple leather armour should have an AC of 14+dex. They're wearing armour, but have a racial ability to use their unarmoured AC if it's better than what they're wearing.

- Grapple & shield builds, you've still got a decent attack with your hands full.

- Hungry Jaws is a rare case of being a bonus action attack that doesn't require taking the attack action. Great for barbarian to keep your rage going, if you had to use your action for something else that turn. Battlemaster fighter can add an nasty maneuver to an extra attack, and a paladin can dash up to the enemy and still get off a smiting attack.

Sakumo1Uchiha
2018-11-20, 12:58 PM
Some lizardfolk Fighter/monk multiclass builds I suggested in the multiclassing thread. The first one can be modified to use lizardfolk instead of human. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?502248-Ultimate-Optimizer-s-Multiclassing-Guide&p=23285979&viewfull=1#post23285979)

Other generic mechanical thoughts:
- Check with your GM, but a lizardfolk with defensive fighting style and wearing simple leather armour should have an AC of 14+dex. They're wearing armour, but have a racial ability to use their unarmoured AC if it's better than what they're wearing.

- Grapple & shield builds, you've still got a decent attack with your hands full.

- Hungry Jaws is a rare case of being a bonus action attack that doesn't require taking the attack action. Great for barbarian to keep your rage going, if you had to use your action for something else that turn. Battlemaster fighter can add an nasty maneuver to an extra attack, and a paladin can dash up to the enemy and still get off a smiting attack.

Ranger (Hunter) to make some kind of swamp/forest stalking ambush predator like the idea of emulating the crocodile/alligator strategy of attacking from concealment for massive damage.

Unoriginal
2018-11-20, 01:00 PM
Bard Lizardfolk. They don't have emotions, but they understand they can get food if they play on the ones of the warm-bloods.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-11-20, 02:05 PM
Bard Lizardfolk. They don't have emotions, but they understand they can get food if they play on the ones of the warm-bloods.
One of my all-time favorite characters was kinda similar. He had no idea what these squishy little mammals were going on about, and no idea why it freaked them out so much when he smiled at them, but he was just delighted to be there.