PDA

View Full Version : A webcomic about a haunted amusement park: Dead to Ride!

DeadToRide
2018-11-20, 03:15 AM
I started this webcomic in 2011 with a friend, Paul Spencer. Originally in black and white, it only ran for a little while before we went on an unexpected hiatus. We've just started up again, and would love it if people would check it out!

It's about an amusement park that is built on the gates of hell and staffed by the undead. Let me know what you think! Any thoughts or constructive criticism that helps us out would be awesome.

Oh, my account is super new, so can't post links yet? If you still want to check us out the web address is the usual thing with a deadtoride in the middle and a .com at the end.

Hope that's okay.

DeadToRide
2018-11-22, 12:11 AM
Hi all! We just dropped an update today! Eventually I'll be able to post links/images, until then I'll just leave these cryptic messages and hope you can find your way there =)

keybounce
2018-11-22, 02:03 PM
A contract that says "must be alive to file a complaint"? Bwa-ha-ha.

DeadToRide
2018-11-22, 08:52 PM
A contract that says "must be alive to file a complaint"? Bwa-ha-ha.

Hey! Glad you like it!!

smuchmuch
2018-11-23, 11:21 AM
This is fairly amusing.

A link for people who would need it: You Must Be This Dead to Ride (https://deadtoride.com/strip/baggins)

keybounce
2018-11-23, 08:01 PM
And, caught up.

But what do you have against D&D? And a GM that allows a TPK because a healer rolled low is not a good GM.

DeadToRide
2018-11-23, 11:31 PM
This is fairly amusing.

A link for people who would need it: *You Must Be This Dead to Ride*

Hey, awesome! I'm glad you found something in there you like! Really great of you to link us up, super appreciated!

DeadToRide
2018-11-23, 11:40 PM
And, caught up.

But what do you have against D&D? And a GM that allows a TPK because a healer rolled low is not a good GM.

Hey! Thanks for reading all the way through, that really means a lot! Hope you like it enough to stay caught up. I implemented an RSS feed yesterday, www.deadtoride.com/feed if you use a feed reader.

As far as D&D, we have nothing against it! Quite the opposite, the first time we met was over the tabletop. I actually GM'd our last campaign together, but I've since moved further away and have kids now, so it's tough to catch up and play these days. If we didn't care for D&D it wouldn't be in the strip at all.

I agree 100% that it would be a terrible way to GM a game (and as a GM I almost always bent the laws of physics to make sure everyone was having a good time), but the joke I was going for was more that Dante was so bad that he killed the group, not that Richard Sparkles is a mean GM.

Also, we didn't want to turn the whole comic into a long running campaign. We wanted to have it in there but not really turn away readers that aren't into it, so that's where we landed. That said, Richard Sparkles illustrious high-stakes D&D table will definitely be making more appearances, and Dante may even get a redemption arc =).

Thanks again for checking us out, makes my day to see people comment and critique! Motivation to keep going forward.

DeadToRide
2018-11-25, 08:48 PM
New strip today, continuing our "labyrinth" arc:

https://www.deadtoride.com/storage/strips/2018_11_26_00_25_57_Whatkindofmagic.png

keybounce
2018-11-28, 12:07 AM
Hey, some of us like David Bowie :-).

After all, didn't he give her everything she asked for? He told her how to phrase a wish, etc.

DeadToRide
2018-11-28, 06:33 AM
Hey, some of us like David Bowie :-).

After all, didn't he give her everything she asked for? He told her how to phrase a wish, etc.

We love Bowie! Thanks for reading! The labyrinth arc continues tomorrow =)

DeadToRide
2018-11-28, 06:39 PM
Latest strip here!

https://www.deadtoride.com/storage/strips/2018_11_29_00_56_10_DestructiveReasoning.png

Willie the Duck
2018-11-29, 02:10 PM
Okay, so then for what did Theseus need the ball of twine?

sihnfahl
2018-11-29, 06:31 PM
Okay, so then for what did Theseus need the ball of twine?
Translation issues, perhaps.

It's clear that the Minotaur was housed in a maze based off the descriptions.

DeadToRide
2018-11-29, 09:23 PM
Yeah, the guy is just being a pedant.

I think a Labyrinth and a Maze were probably the same thing way back in the day but they had one name for both things; Labyrinth. Around the time of the Renaissance the term Maze started being used more due to rise in popularity of hedge mazes, and was used in artistic depictions of the Labyrinth from then on. Prior to that, Labyrinths were most commonly depicted with a unicursal design, as seen on Cretian coins of the era.

Like I said, it's entirely pedantic and the terms are interchangeable.

keybounce
2018-11-30, 12:32 AM
So the Liar says "Labyrinth" and is corrected to "Maze"; then says you may ask one question, which obviously also was false.

Equally, the truthful one said that one always lies and the other always tells the truth.

Why have we not seen a story looking at the whole "I lied when I said one of us always told the truth" aspect?

DeadToRide
2018-11-30, 02:01 AM
We tried fixing up the obvious logical paradoxes after they were pointed out elsewhere, but decided it was ultimately going to require more exposition than we had room for, so we've decided we're just going to continue forward and hope people can look past them and get to the joke.

I'll almost definitely try and recompose the thing in the future, but we've got a bunch of work to catch up on at the moment so we can take a break over Christmas.

keybounce
2018-11-30, 07:40 PM
Funny thing is, there is no logical contradiciton (at least not an obvious one) so far -- the truthful one has been truthful, and the liar may have lied on everything.