PDA

View Full Version : If any, what is the most optimal Rogue (any Archetype) multiclass?

Expected
2018-11-20, 08:59 AM
My planned character will be a High Elf Arcane Trickster Rogue with 8-17-15-14-12-8 at level 1 and Elven Accuracy (+1 Dex) at level 4. I plan to fish for criticals using Find Familiar/Versatile Trickster. I will be primarily in melee range with either a dagger/rapier/shortsword and an empty hand/shield (depending on my multiclass choice, if i choose to multiclass).

My questions are: Should I multiclass? If so, why? Pure Arcane Tricksters get a spell that is not from the schools of enchantment or illusion at level 20 (although they get Stroke of Luck, which I find to be extremely underwhelming).

If not, what would be the most optimal multiclass that allows me to do the most damage in combat while still retaining the utility and RP ability of the Rogue? I am not going to be the party face but I would like to use Illusion spells (such as Friends + Disguise Self, Charm Person, etc.) and also contribute to conversations while engaging in roguish behaviors. I was thinking either Arcane Trickster 15/Champion 5 (for Extra Attack and the increased probability for a critical hit, albeit with 8d6 which averages 28 damage and 56 damage with a critical) or Arcane Trickster 18/Bladesinger 2 (for +Int modifier to AC, +10ft, and advantage on concentration checks twice before having to short rest). If I do this, should I take the 4 points from Wis and place it into Int to maximise Bladesong? I realize this would have my Wis at 8 and make me susceptible to often failing Wis saves. What are your thoughts? Harsh criticism is appreciated--I desire to make the best Arcane Trickster Rogue possible.

Gipu
2018-11-20, 09:04 AM
Divine Soul Sorcerer. Obviously.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/harrypotter/images/b/b3/Grindelwald_evita_a_captura.gif/revision/latest?cb=20180804032547&path-prefix=pt-br
Subtle Metamagic and a hidden Sorcerer

"Sometimes the spark of magic that fuels a sorcerer comes from a divine source that glimmers within the soul. Having such a blessed soul is a sign that your innate magic might come from a distant but powerful familial connection to a divine being. Perhaps your ancestor was an angel, transformed into a mortal and sent to fight in a god’s name. Or your birth might align with an ancient prophecy, marking you as a servant of the gods or a chosen vessel of divine magic.
A Divine Soul, with natural magnetism, is seen as a threat by some religious hierarchies. As an outsider who commands celestial power, these sorcerers can undermine the existing order by claiming a direct tie to the divine.
In some cultures, only those who can claim the power of a Divine Soul may command religious power. In these lands, ecclesiastical positions are dominated by a few bloodlines and preserved over generations."

Sorcerer King, The overlord!

The Overlord is cursed by Elder Evil's Curse. He gets angry every time that He casts a spell.

https://i-h2.pinimg.com/564x/c1/ee/bc/c1eebca2bfc59010f5795130c390a45e.jpg

Character Background:

https://i-h2.pinimg.com/564x/92/fb/4a/92fb4a5644283d534704655dd4d4116f.jpg

Guild: Dimir

Background
Feature: False Identity
You have more than one identity. The one you wear most of the time makes you appear to be a member of a guild other than House Dimir. You have documentation, established acquaintances, and disguises that allow you to assume that persona and fit into the secondary guild.

Whenever you choose, you can drop this identity and blend into the guildless masses of the city. Consider why you're embedded in the secondary guild. Create a story with your DM, inspired by rolling on the following table or choosing a reason that suits you.

Character Traits:
I don't talk about the thing that torments me. I'd rather not burden others with my curse.

Character Ideals:
I'm a monster that destroys others monsters, and anything else that gets in my way (Evil)
I like to know my enemy's capabilities and weaknesses before rushing into battle. (Lawful)

Character Bounds:
There's evil in me, I can feel it. It must never be set free.

https://cdna.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/000/667/476/large/chang-youl-park-sh-de.jpg?1443929368

The Sorgue (Sorcerer/Rogue)
Divine Soul Sorcerer 7 / Arcane Trickster Rogue 3
Medium humanoid (humanoid) V.human, LAWFUL EVIL
Armor Class 16 (18 with haste, 23 with shield)
Hit Points 52 (32 HP +25 Aid)
Speed 30ft, fly 50ft (120 fts with haste and Longstrider)
If It uses his action (120), cunning action (120), haste (120) and move action(120) It moves 480ft per turn.
Initiative +3

V. Human
STR
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA
20 (16 + 4 Darkgift)
Proficiency +4

Saving Throws CHA +9, CON +3

Spellcasting: DC 17 (8 + 4 Proficiency +5 Charisma)
Spell attack +9 (+4 Proficiency +5 Charisma)

Skill Prociency: Knowledge Arcana +11 (Expertise, +1d4 with Guidance), Deception +9 (+13 If Skill Empowerment Spell), Stealth +11 (Advantage on Stealth and apply Disadvantage on Perception against him, Cloak of Elvenkind, +21 with Pass without trace).

The Sorcerer Prince is an 7th-level Sorcerer. Its spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 17, +9 to hit with spell attacks).

Cantrips (at will):. Minor Image, Minor Image, Toll of Dead, Firebolt, Booming Blade, Mold Earth (He knows all cantrips and 1st level spells from sorcerer, cleric and Wizard list, Mizzium Aparatus Item)
1st level (4 slots):
2nd level (3 slots): Pass withut Trace, Suggestion
3rd level (3 slots): Haste, Counterspell, Dispel, Nondetection(Dimir), Tidal Wave
4th level (1 slots): Dimension Door, Greater Invisibility, Freedom of Movement

ACTIONS

+7 Ranged attack at 600', subtle spells to cast spell while It's hidden.

The Overlord has amazing action economy and speed, It can attack and move out the enemy's range/hide or just cast Distant Dimension door (1.000) ft and use his actions to move/hide. It's too efficient.

2 shots (action and haste) + cunning action + move action

1 shot (action) + cunning action + haste action + move action

1 shot (haste) + cunning action + move action + Spell (Action)

Itens:

Cloak of Elvenkind (Uncommon magic item)
Mizzium Aparatus (Uncommon magic item)
Bracers of Archery (uncommon magic item)

Cloak of Elvenkind:
While you wear this cloak with its hood up, Wisdom (Perception) checks made to see you have disadvantage. and you have advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks made to hide, as the cloak's color shifts to camouflage you. Pulling the hood up or down requires an action.

Mizzium Aparatus:
Innovation is a dangerous pursuit, at least the way the mages of the Izzet League engage in it. As protection against the risk of an experiment going awry, they have developed a device to help channel and control their magic. This apparatus is a collection of leather straps, flexible tubing, glass cylinders, and plates, bracers, and fittings made from a magic-infused metal alloy called mizzium, all assembled into a harness. The item weighs 8 pounds.

While you are wearing the mizzium apparatus, you can use it as an arcane focus. In addition, you can attempt to cast a spell that you do not know or have prepared. The spell you choose must be on your class's spell list and of a level for which you have a spell slot, and you must provide the spell's components.

You expend a spell slot to cast the spell as normal, but before resolving it you must make an Intelligence (Arcana) check. The DC is 10 + twice the level of the spell slot you expend to cast the spell.

On a successful check, you cast the spell as normal, using your spell save DC and spellcasting ability modifier. On a failed check, you cast a different spell from the one you intended. Randomly determine the spell you cast by rolling on the table for the level of the spell slot you expended. If the slot is 6th level or higher, roll on the table for 5th-level spells.

If you try to cast a cantrip you don't know, the DC for the Intelligence (Arcana) check is 10, and on a failed check, there is no effect.

Feature and Spells know:

Background Feature
Font Of Magic (17)
Metamagic
MM: Subtle Spell
MM: Distant
Divine Magic
Favor Of The Gods
Empowered Healing
Expertise
Sneak Attack
ASIs: Skulker, Sharptrooper
Sorcerer 8 +1 Divine Soul Spells Know

Master of Magic

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/25/0d/15/250d15e6bbf3ee64db3f54a7a5c3ecb3.gif

The Divine Soul has the best spell list of the game and Mizzium Aparatus allows him to cast every spells from his list. The Arcane Trickster allows the Overlord to cast wizard spells.
The Overlord has high Arcana Knowledge check, +11 with advantage and Guidance Spell apply +1d4 if It needs.

It automatically knows all spells from level 1 (DC 12).

Also, Subtle Metamagic (To avoid counterspell and It avoids detect his spellcasting), Distant Metamagic to dominate those spells.

Mizzium Aparatus
Uncommon Magic Item
Innovation is a dangerous pursuit, at least the way the mages of the Izzet League engage in it. As protection against the risk of an experiment going awry, they have developed a device to help channel and control their magic. This apparatus is a collection of leather straps, flexible tubing, glass cylinders, and plates, bracers, and fittings made from a magic-infused metal alloy called mizzium, all assembled into a harness. The item weighs 8 pounds.
While you are wearing the mizzium apparatus, you can use it as an arcane focus. In addition, you can attempt to cast a spell that you do not know or have prepared. The spell you choose must be on your class's spell list and of a level for which you have a spell slot, and you must provide the spell's components.
You expend a spell slot to cast the spell as normal, but before resolving it you must make an Intelligence (Arcana) check. The DC is 10 + twice the level of the spell slot you expend to cast the spell.
On a successful check, you cast the spell as normal, using your spell save DC and spellcasting ability modifier. On a failed check, you cast a different spell from the one you intended. Randomly determine the spell you cast by rolling on the table for the level of the spell slot you expended. If the slot is 6th level or higher, roll on the table for 5th-level spells.
If you try to cast a cantrip you don't know, the DC for the Intelligence (Arcana) check is 10, and on a failed check, there is no effect.

1st-Level Spells
d6 spell
1 burning hands
2 chaos bolt
3 color spray
4 faerie fire
5 fog cloud
6 thunderwave
2nd-Level Spells
d6 spell
1 blur
2 gust of wind
3 heat metal
4 Melf's acid arrow
5 scorching ray
6 shatter
3rd-Level Spells
d6 spell
1 fear
2 feign death
3 fireball
4 gaseous form
5 sleet storm
6 stinking cloud
4th-Level Spells
d4 spell
1 confusion
2 conjure minor elementals
3 Evard's black tentacles
4 ice storm
5th-Level Spells
d4 spell
1 animate objects
2 cloudkill
3 cone of cold
4 flame strike

Master of Deception
https://i-h2.pinimg.com/564x/45/1a/64/451a642b08ddc8b0ebb2608f210776a2.jpg

It's from the Dimir Guild. The Overlord can infiltrate everything that he needs.

It has +21 Stealth check with advantage and apply disadvantage on perception check against him (Cloak of Elvenkind).
Sublte Metamagic allow his to cast those spells without be noticed or know the origin.
It can just cast Subtle Metamagic +Suggestion just to dominate his mind.

The Overlord is undetectable, +21 stealth check, nondetection avoids see invisible/true seeming, Cunning Action allow him to use a Hide Action as bonus action.
Pass without Trace spell (Overlord's concentration), Skulker feat and Nondetection Spell are The Key of The Assassination.

The Skulker feat is too powerful here:

"You can try to hide when you are lightly obscured from the creature from which you are hiding.
When you are hidden from a creature and miss it with a ranged weapon attack, making the attack doesn't reveal your position.
Dim light doesn't impose disadvantage on your Perception checks relying on sight."

Before the assassination starts, He casts his defensive subtle spells. Blink, Disguise Self, Longstrider, Sanctuary, Freedom of Movement

If you want to assassinate someone, you just cast Subtle Dispel Magic (Removing his buffs) and prepare an attack at 600'.
Now, The Overlord attacks with their Longbow with Shorptrooper feat to apply +10 damage
If his miss, the attack doesn't reveal his position. If It hits, It deals average 28 damage, That attack is a haste action.
Now he cast 2 options:

1) Continue the attack, It deals his second shot (Action), using his cunning action and move action to move out of enemy's range. It's 99% chance to the enemy dies.

2) Cast distant dimension door (1.000) or just use his action, cunning action and move action to move out of the enemy's range.
Repeat it until the enemy is dead.

Social encounter:

https://i-h2.pinimg.com/564x/d6/a1/91/d6a1917720f52b188811068984b289d4.jpg

High charismatic character, High Deception Skill Check (Expertise) and Subtle Metamagic allows him to dominates into social enconter.

Subtle Divination spells allows the Overlord to know questions about the "Anything".

The Sorcerer can cast SUBTLE Metamagic + Suggestion spell to control a social encounter easily and without be noticed.
Subtle Guidance spell is always a good choice here.

The King of The Sea and the Storm

"Son, be careful with the storm!"
"The storm whispers my name, father"

https://i-h2.pinimg.com/564x/be/65/59/be65592866a409db4a6644e609e1ba42.jpg

The reduced visibility of the sea and the tempest is perfect to make field to an assassination.

It has survival proficiency to predict the Weather.
Now, The Overlord uses his Skulker feat to abuse of Stealth/Hide (+21 check).
The visibility is reduced to 60' and He can abuse of Hide easily.

Trustypeaches
2018-11-20, 09:09 AM
Oh god he’s spreading onto other posts!

On topic though, I’d say 2 levels of Bladesinger Wizard multiclass would be good. Get +2/3 AC pretty consistently with Bladesinging, 3 more spells slots, 10 more spells known, Ritual Casting (don’t have to spend slots on Find Familiar).

NecroDancer
2018-11-20, 09:15 AM
So 2 level of fighter is nice for the action surge. If you take 3 levels of fighter you could get the champion ability that lets you crit on 19-20s. However i’d HIGHLY recommend staying as a rogue. You’d get more spells and better sneak attack.

A cool multiclass could be around 5 levels of Ranger for the extra attack and some nice Ranger spells (pass without trace is god-like on a rogue) however you’d have to have decent wisdom and it’s a lot of levels.

Trustypeaches
2018-11-20, 09:19 AM
So 2 level of fighter is nice for the action surge. However i’d HIGHLY recommend staying as a rogue. You’d get more spells and better sneak attack.

A cool multiclass could be around 5 levels of Ranger for the extra attack and some nice Ranger spells (pass without trace is god-like on a rogue) however you’d have to have decent wisdom and it’s a lot of levels.Action Surge isn’t amazing for Rogues since they can’t double up Sneak Attack.

Hitting to level 3 and getting Battlemaster, however, is really really really good for Rogues. Riposte is nasty with Sneak Attack.

Unoriginal
2018-11-20, 09:25 AM
Action Surge isn’t amazing for Rogues since they can’t double up Sneak Attack.

They can get more chances of hitting, though. Only one sneak attack, but much more likely to land.

Can't say I recommend only 2 levels of fighters, though.

nickl_2000
2018-11-20, 09:26 AM
One level of Wizard can really expand you utility with rituals, a spellbook, and spells prepared (shield!)

Two levels can net you War Magic Wizard for arcane Deflection and Tactical Wit.

Personally I would do 2 levels of War Magic at some point.

Trustypeaches
2018-11-20, 09:28 AM
They can get more chances of hitting, though. Only one sneak attack, but much more likely to land.

I mean yeah, Rogues still get something out of Action Surge, everyone does.

But they don’t benefit from it tremendously the way some other classes / archetypes do. I wouldn’t go Fighter 2 over Fighter 1 just for Action Surge on a Rogue, personally. Unless, of course, I was working towards Fighter 3 for sweet sweet Riposte and Precision Strike.

solidork
2018-11-20, 09:30 AM
Action Surge isn’t amazing for Rogues since they can’t double up Sneak Attack.

Hitting to level 3 and getting Battlemaster, however, is really really really good for Rogues. Riposte is nasty with Sneak Attack.

You can actually use Action Surge to pull of the much lauded Haste trick, where you use one of your actions to ready an attack.

I'd personally stick with Rogue until 11 in order to get Reliable Talent, but that might just be me.

Galadhrim
2018-11-20, 09:30 AM
My planned character will be a High Elf Arcane Trickster Rogue with 8-17-15-14-12-8 at level 1 and Elven Accuracy (+1 Dex) at level 4. I plan to fish for criticals using Find Familiar/Versatile Trickster. I will be primarily in melee range with either a dagger/rapier/shortsword and an empty hand/shield (depending on my multiclass choice, if i choose to multiclass).

My questions are: Should I multiclass? If so, why? Pure Arcane Tricksters get a spell that is not from the schools of enchantment or illusion at level 20 (although they get Stroke of Luck, which I find to be extremely underwhelming).

If not, what would be the most optimal multiclass that allows me to do the most damage in combat while still retaining the utility and RP ability of the Rogue? I am not going to be the party face but I would like to use Illusion spells (such as Friends + Disguise Self, Charm Person, etc.) and also contribute to conversations while engaging in roguish behaviors. I was thinking either Arcane Trickster 15/Champion 5 (for Extra Attack and the increased probability for a critical hit, albeit with 8d6 which averages 28 damage and 56 damage with a critical) or Arcane Trickster 18/Bladesinger 2 (for +Int modifier to AC, +10ft, and advantage on concentration checks twice before having to short rest). If I do this, should I take the 4 points from Wis and place it into Int to maximise Bladesong? I realize this would have my Wis at 8 and make me susceptible to often failing Wis saves. What are your thoughts? Harsh criticism is appreciated--I desire to make the best Arcane Trickster Rogue possible.

Since you are planning to be in melee often, fighter to add a shield and defensive fighting style is very helpful. Action surge is beautiful on an arcane trickster when you can hide, cast hold person and force the save at disadvantage, then action surge and sneak attack crit. If you are going to be in melee anyway, you might also think about taking sentinel so that you can get your second sneak attack as a reaction (depending on your DM's interpretation, you can also get it off of attacks towards you if you have mirror image, although some don't allow that). For third level fighter you have two very good options. If you are crit fishing with Elvin Accuracy champion is really nice (especially with advantage frequently with you have stated you will be looking for). Battlemaster is also excellent. Take Riposte and get a second sneak attack off turn when they attack you and miss (which they will much more with your defense fighting style and shield). You are extremely tanky with uncanny dodge and evasion, and your action economy is very efficient with multiple uses of your action, bonus action, and reaction. I played this build with the champion set up and had a blast.

CheddarChampion
2018-11-20, 09:35 AM
I think you have already laid out a few good goals. So I'll just say that's it's worth it to stay an Arcane Trickster until level 14 for the haste spell. Or getting 5 levels in wizard earlier on.

Haste let's you pull off 2 sneak attacks in a round as long as you can flank: attack with haste action on your turn, then ready another attack so that you strike on another turn in the same round. Different turn -> another chance to sneak attack.

And factoring in slippery mind, I'd say take 15 levels of AT and then 5 in champion or 2/3/5 bladesinger and fill the rest with AT. More wizard levels-> more versatility.

And of course, with those stats pick up Resilient (Constitution) at level 8.

NecroDancer
2018-11-20, 09:42 AM
A neat idea would be to pick up the feat magic initiate or ritual caster for some extra versatility.

Expected
2018-11-20, 12:31 PM
On topic though, I’d say 2 levels of Bladesinger Wizard multiclass would be good. Get +2/3 AC pretty consistently with Bladesinging, 3 more spells slots, 10 more spells known, Ritual Casting (don’t have to spend slots on Find Familiar).

I was thinking that, too. I just wasn't sure if AT 15/Champion 5 would be better.

So 2 level of fighter is nice for the action surge. If you take 3 levels of fighter you could get the champion ability that lets you crit on 19-20s. However i’d HIGHLY recommend staying as a rogue. You’d get more spells and better sneak attack.

A cool multiclass could be around 5 levels of Ranger for the extra attack and some nice Ranger spells (pass without trace is god-like on a rogue) however you’d have to have decent wisdom and it’s a lot of levels.

That is a great suggestion. If I do decide to multiclass for more than 3 levels, Extra Attack seems to be a vital feature to get, unless I use Booming Blade instead, that is.

I agree with this. That's why I am having a difficult time justifying 1 or 2 levels in Fighter when I could level to 3 or 5 and get Champion/Battle Master and Extra Attack.

One level of Wizard can really expand you utility with rituals, a spellbook, and spells prepared (shield!)

I do like the War Magic archetype for Wizard, but Bladesinger might be more beneficial for an Arcane Trickster.

A neat idea would be to pick up the feat magic initiate or ritual caster for some extra versatility.

I would definitely do this if I did not choose Arcane Trickster. Otherwise, it is somewhat redundant with AT and especially a Bladesinger multiclass.

Man_Over_Game
2018-11-20, 12:39 PM
Bladesinger seems to fit all of the things you're looking for. More magic, more melee, more defenses, less talking. A single level into Bladesinger gets you a lot, and more levels unlocks more spells. With access to things like Shield or Absorb Elements, you won't have too many weaknesses to be exposed. All-in-all, it's a solid choice.

War Mage is also good, but I'd only recommend it against the Bladesinger if you already had access to heavier armors (like Fighter).

Expected
2018-11-20, 12:40 PM
For those who are mathematically inclined, what is the difference in DPR for 10d6 compared to 8d6 for Sneak Attack? The level 15 AT with 8d6 SA also gets increased critical range from 19-20 and Extra Attack from Champion 5. Also, there is Elven Accuracy to consider. The level 19/20 AT with 10d6 SA also gets to use Booming Blade when attacking.

Expected
2018-11-20, 12:41 PM
Bladesinger seems to fit all of the things you're looking for. More magic, more melee, more defenses, less talking. A single level into Bladesinger gets you a lot, and more levels unlocks more spells. With access to things like Shield or Absorb Elements, you won't have too many weaknesses to be exposed. All-in-all, it's a solid choice.

War Mage is also good, but I'd only recommend it against the Bladesinger if you already had access to heavier armors (like Fighter).

Do you think that 2 levels in Bladesinger Wizard is ideal? And if so, should I switch my 12 Wis to 8 and move those points to Int so I can get a better bonus for Bladesong and a higher spell save DC?

Man_Over_Game
2018-11-20, 12:47 PM
Do you think that 2 levels in Bladesinger Wizard is ideal? And if so, should I switch my 12 Wis to 8 and move those points to Int so I can get a better bonus for Bladesong and a higher spell save DC?

That's what I'd do. It'll work better for both the Arcane Trickster AND the Bladesinger. You can always grab Resilience (Wis) later.

Additionally, since Intelligence-based characters are pretty rare, you'll be more able to fill a niche that's missing in your group as the Historian/Investigator.

Vogie
2018-11-20, 12:49 PM

Yes, unless you want more 2nd level spells.

You'll have an AC of 16 (Mage Armor only), or 18 (Mage Armor + Bladesong), and as you catch those ASIs you'll have the higher spell saves and AC.

I would leave the Wisdom as 12 for save purposes, because you don't want to waste an ASI for Resilient (Wis)

Expected
2018-11-20, 12:53 PM
Arcane Trickster Rogues get Slippery Mind at level 15 (proficiency in Wisdom saves). Knowing this, should I move the Wis and Int scores around or will I become too susceptible to failing Wis saves?

Citan
2018-11-20, 01:38 PM

Hi ;)

Oh god he’s spreading onto other posts!

My thoughts exactly. XD

Back on track.
There are mainly two multiclass that are extremely great (yeah, I'm really not exaggerating ^^).
Sorcerer as the "other" said, and Bladesinger as Trustypeaches already pointed out.

Differences?
Sorcerer multiclass has two main "branches".
First one is "early bird": you dip three levels mainly for Subtle metamagic, as well as Enhance Ability, because it makes you go from great to wonderful at both sneaking and more generally winning whatever skill contest you're proficient (or Expert) into.
Past that, you can pick either...
- Divine Soul and go Extend to pair with Aid (more HP synergizes nicely with Uncanny Dodge), as well as Mage Armor and/or Shield of Faith/Sanctuary to help you in fights.
- Shadow to get "Darkness through which you can see" which opens even more options, as well as whatever other metamagic you fancy (preferably a 1-sp cost, but an emergency Quicken could be helpful too).

Second one is "long-term strategy": you pick starting level of Sorcerer for Constitution proficiency and extra cantrips, but otherwise refrain from taking additional levels until you get Magical Ambush at the very least, possibly even Reliable Talent, then stop Rogue altogether and push Sorcerer to get extremely good at winning fights with a single spell (Magical Ambush + max CHA + Careful/Subtle/Empowered metamagics + Fear/Slow/HypnoticPattern/Fireball/ConeofCold/DominatePerson/HoldMonster/etc = yummy). But this is really a long wait to get there, so wouldn't recommend it unless you can start at least character level 8 or so, or know you will gain levels quickly enough to your taste.

Between those extremes, you could dip Sorcerer levels from time to time, not for Magical Ambush synergy but on the contrary making other synergies: Haste, Spirit Guardians, Fire Shield etc.

Bladesinger is "simpler": you have all reason to dip the first two levels right after Rogue 1, and past those levels you simply pick additional levels whenever you feel like it. Because it's the same casting stat you don't need to make a defining choice at start either, you can simply start with 14 or 16 INT and decide whenever you deem it useful to bump, or not.
Also, while you don't get Metamagics which is a shame, you get goodies on every level, between the larger number of spell known, access to rituals, Arcane Recovery, and Extra Attack. And on top of that you can "deport" your Arcane Tricskter spell learning into Wizard spellbook so technically you boost your spell known even more (since you can swap known spells).
Meaning that Rogue 18 / Bladesinger 2 and Rogue 11 / Bladesinger 9 or even Rogue 5 / Bladesinger 15 are equally good (although, could you still call the latter a "Rogue"? ^^).

-> So the intuitive choice for multiclassing really is Bladesinger, while Sorcerer does require an already defined mechanical concept to strive towards. :)

Besides that, there are many multiclassing that can bring great things: basically Magical Ambush with any caster in general.
Also Rogue and Ranger (Archery, Extra Attack, Hunter's Mark, Zephyr's Strike, Pass Without Trace, Silence? Yes plz!).
Or even Rogue and Paladin (not that harder to multiclass: simply go STR and CON, 14 DEX, 14 CHA, only pick/prepare utility or buffs from both and otherwise use slots on smite).

EDIT: A bit more of detail on AT/Ranger, because imo it's actually the second best multiclass for a lvl 10-14 character.
Not only do you get all these goodies from Ranger spells...
Gloomstalker also gives you a WIS mod boost to Initiative, which could be stacked on your DEX and Alert feat to ensure you are always the first to act. And you get Rope Trick earlier or nearly at same time as pure AT.
Horizon Walker is even "worse": not only, should you get up to 9 (which is admitedly far), get Haste, but as soon as level 3 you get "use bonus action to convert all attack to force damage".
Of course it uses up your bonus action, which means no Cunning Action. On the bright side, you'll rock *any and every creature up to CR 18 or so*. No need for magical weapon, no need to worry about resistances/immunities no NOTHING.
In some campaigns, this wouldn't make any difference. In others, this is golden enough to bypass anything else Rogue (or whatever class) can offer.

EDIT 2: Just realized you put more informations and stats. If I read this correctly, the 14 is in INT. Well then, Bladesinger is the perfect fit, no questions. :)
(If I was mistaken and 14 is in WIS, they I'd strongly consider a level 5 Horizon Walker Ranger multiclass instead, or Knowledge Cleric 2 for long-term Reliable Talent + "any skill prof", or Tempest Cleric 2 for short-rest Booming Blade + Sneak Attack nova).

Keravath
2018-11-20, 02:39 PM
With the stats listed I would say that bladesinger would be the best choice. From 2 up to 7 levels would be good. The enhanced range and number of spells can really enhance the utility of an arcane trickster. Plus you get ritual casting, a spell book, and a lot more spells.

Level 6 gives you extra attack and level 7 gives you greater invisibility which allows for always on sneak attack and advantage on attacks as long as your target can't see you.

If you had higher charisma then warlock (darkness+devils sight) + another invocation, or shadow sorcerer (same darkness+see in the dark trick for advantage at level 3) can work.

Finally, battlemaster can work with riposte to possibly give you another sneak attack (but usually only works if you are a melee rogue).

However, of them all, the bladesinger is probably the most thematically appropriate and useful for either a small dip or a larger one.

BarneyBent
2018-11-20, 03:35 PM
For those who are mathematically inclined, what is the difference in DPR for 10d6 compared to 8d6 for Sneak Attack? The level 15 AT with 8d6 SA also gets increased critical range from 19-20 and Extra Attack from Champion 5. Also, there is Elven Accuracy to consider. The level 19/20 AT with 10d6 SA also gets to use Booming Blade when attacking.

Heavily dependent on other factors. For example, if you’re likely to have regular advantage, the utility of an extra attack to land SA reduces. It functions as a sort of pseudo-advantage itself, and you get diminishing returns the more dice you roll (one of the reasons Elven Accuracy is a bit overrated sometimes). So if you’re likely to be at advantage for both attacks on a regular basis, you will land your SA more regularly, but it won’t be THAT much more regularly than being at EE advantage for just one hit.

The increased crit range interacts with this in other interesting ways that I can’t quite recall off the top of my head, but it’s tempting to say “quadruple/sextuple advantage gives a gigantic crit chance on a sneak attack” - but only the first half of that is true. You’re fairly likely to crit, but if you non-crit hit with your first attack, you’re going to apply your sneak attack to that damage and then you won’t apply the subsequent crit damage to your second attack. And since your chance to hit is fairly high with advantage, well... it’s good, but it’s probably not quite as good as it looks on paper.

By comparison, a level 19/20 Rogue applying Booming Blade is getting 10d6 plus 3d8 Thunder. So long as you can get regular advantage, you’ll be sneak attacking almost as regularly, and hitting harder. It may be worth a dip into Warlock for that increased crit range plus a bit more magic and potentially Darkness/Devil’s Sight for another advantage option, but that would require a skill reshuffle.

Anyway, haven’t done the maths, but if you wanted to multiclass, I’d suggest Battlemaster 3. Riposte gives you the chance to have a second attack that you can apply a second sneak attack to, which makes EE a lot more useful relatively speaking, and you could apply BB/GFB to your first attack.

And of course there’s Bladesinger which other people have mentioned.

AvvyR
2018-11-20, 04:54 PM
A lot of focus on Bladesinger in this thread, but War Magic is also a great choice for low dips. I recently played an AT and took 3 in War Wizard for faster access to 2nd level spells (mostly Shadow Blade). It nets you a great initiative bonus, and Arcane Deflection is a resource-less baby Shield with few downsides, since you'll mostly be using SCAG Cantrips anyway. Saved my life more than I can count.

Skylivedk
2018-11-20, 05:20 PM
Do you know the DM and his encounter preference? How often do you short rest, long rest, big creatures, mobs, etc? What's your campaign?

I'm personally not sold on the champion. I find it both weak and boring. The math I've seen on it supports it being weak, and I've seen no evidence to contrary. Battle master seems both more fun and effective.

Hence my recommendation would be a toss up between Bladesinger and Battle Master, depending on how much you like spell casting and how much you short rest. Sorcerer is a valid option if you need a face and can do some fun stuff with both quicken, subtle, twin and extend.

LudicSavant
2018-11-20, 06:16 PM
AT has a pretty solid single class progression, so you need to get something good for deviating from it.

Any deviation into Champion dilutes your sneak attack, your ASIs, your spells, and your lovely Rogue abilities that help make you dangerous, tanky, and useful outside a fight.

Keep in mind that Booming Blade keeps up pretty well with Extra Attack, and feats like Warcaster have high value. One of our favorite AT tricks is to tank up (high AC+a defensive spell+rogue stuff like uncanny dodge), run up and hit a foe, then watch the foe either waste their attack on the tank or walk away and take two triple advantage sneak attack booming blades plus riders, which generally means they are either dead or will be shortly.

Vexacia
2018-11-21, 01:50 AM
Despite the unbelievably long post in its favor, Sorcerer is an absolutely garbage multiclass for an Arcane Trickster.

Monoclass Sorcerer if you're THAT into it dude - you'll be far better off than trying to multiclass Rogue/Sorcerer.

anyway.

chiming in here for a couple things.

1. if you want reliable talent, stay monoclass Rogue and spam SCAG cantrips.

2. if you don't care about reliable talent, put at least 5-6 into literally any class with extra attack and do it ASAP. in the case of Bladesinger or Valor Bard, I'd go to 7 for 4th level spells since you already had to go to 6 for your EA.

if you are going Elf / Half Elf, I'm going to personally back up the other posters who are recommending Bladesinger 7. I think it's by far the best choice overall, even though its DPR will be slightly lower than, say, Hexblade 5 or Ranger 5 or Fighter 5.

if you are not going Elf / Half Elf, I will recommend 7 levels of Valor or Swords Bard for exactly the same reason as Bladesinger. Valor if you want a shield, Swords if you want to TWF. Swords will have higher selfish DPR, Valor will be more survivable and have more party utility.

The utility offered by spells is thoroughly unparalleled, imo. You could add 10% DPR or whatever, or you could have 3rd and 4th level spells. That's a really easy choice to make.

as far as levelup order, there are a couple paths.

1. Rogue 3 > Wizard or Bard 7 > Rogue X

gets you Arcane Trickster ASAP and gets you feeling like a proper Rogue before you dip for EA and utility.

2. Wizard or Bard 7 > Rogue X

you are deprived of Rogue feeling for a long time and your group is denied your expertise and thieves tools for equally long, but you get EA and 3rd/4th level spells ASAP.

3. Rogue 1 > Wizard or Bard 7 > Rogue X

a middle ground between the two above. gets you expertise, thieves tools, and one extra skill prof immediately and only delays EA and spells by a paltry 1 level. however, it barely gives you any Rogue feel at all for a long time just like option 2.

bid
2018-11-21, 02:02 AM
Despite the unbelievably long post in its favor, Sorcerer is an absolutely garbage multiclass for an Arcane Trickster.
It's a known troll who has been banned repeatedly, just ignore his mad rambling.

Rabitu
2018-11-21, 05:10 AM

Monoclass Sorcerer if you're THAT into it dude - you'll be far better off than trying to multiclass Rogue/Sorcerer.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/4d39df226e4cd5defb1464cc53f38365/tenor.gif?itemid=5916561

Are you serious?

SUBTLE METAMAGIC alone is far better than wizard entire class, especially with Magical Ambush and Reliable Talent.

Divine Soul Sorcerer has the best spell list and with Mizzium Apparatus (Uncommon item) just cast the best and versatile spells, subtly and It knows 100% of his list.

With Arcane trickster, It casts 100% from Sorcerer, Cleric and Wizard list, subtly.

Citan
2018-11-21, 07:24 AM

I'll take it that...
1. You were talking about the first post about a Sorcerer multiclass, which is indeed a troll, and not mine.
2. You really didnt think through before writing your post. Because Sorcerer can be an outstanding multiclass if you know what you get into it for.

It is not incompatible with the fact that there are many other multiclasses that are easier to work overall and bring great benefits too. ;)

(Edit: damn, that banished dude is persistent, you have to give him that).

Randomthom
2018-11-21, 07:37 AM
3 levels of Gloomstalker Ranger. It gives you an extra attack in the first round of combat plus extra movement and damage. It gives you effective invisibility in darkness. It also gives you some basic ranger spells and a fighting style. 2 more levels will give you an extra attack too if you want to go further into it, another 2 nets you Wisdom save proficiency.

On top of that you'll get medium armour, shields & martial weapon proficiency and one skill proficiency.

Exocist
2018-11-21, 07:51 AM
5 levels of Warlock. Use Rakdos Cultist background to pickup haste on the Warlock list.

Cast Haste in every encounter and proceed to sneak attack twice per round, every round, for the win. Arcane Trickster can give you Find Familiar for advantage on one of the attacks, you'll have to find a way to guarantee the other though (maybe get a big pile of meat to stand next to the enemy or take Raven Queen as your warlock pact?)

Rabitu
2018-11-21, 07:57 AM
I'll take it that...
1. You were talking about the first post about a Sorcerer multiclass, which is indeed a troll, and not mine.
2. You really didnt think through before writing your post. Because Sorcerer can be an outstanding multiclass if you know what you get into it for.

It is not incompatible with the fact that there are many other multiclasses that are easier to work overall and bring great benefits too. ;)

(Edit: damn, that banished dude is persistent, you have to give him that).

Peoples call me troll.
However, I always speak the truthy! Facts are facts, It doesn't care if they love or hate it.

Sudsboy
2018-11-21, 08:00 AM
I'd think 3 levels of sorcerer for Quicken metamagic and a melee cantrip would be great too, so you can cantrip then ready an action, giving you sneak attack on your round and another as well.

Vogie
2018-11-21, 08:44 AM
5 levels of Warlock. Use Rakdos Cultist background to pickup haste on the Warlock list.

Cast Haste in every encounter and proceed to sneak attack twice per round, every round, for the win. Arcane Trickster can give you Find Familiar for advantage on one of the attacks, you'll have to find a way to guarantee the other though (maybe get a big pile of meat to stand next to the enemy or take Raven Queen as your warlock pact?)

You can attempt to sneak attack 2x/round, but you only get one sneak attack per round.

Sneak Attack

Beginning at 1st level, you know how to strike subtly and exploit a foe’s distraction. Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon.

dejarnjc
2018-11-21, 09:29 AM
You can sneak attack once per turn yes but potentially twice per round with something like haste. On your turn you use the extra action to attack and get sneak attack. Then you use your normal action to hold your attack and attack on someone else's turn thus triggering 2 sneak attacks per round.

Anyway, I think sorcerer can be a good multi-class option here regardless but doubly so if you have a flexible DM whom would just hand-wave the Arcane Trickster into being a CHA caster instead of an INT caster.

Nhorianscum
2018-11-21, 10:01 AM

You get one off school spell per spell level.

With your current stat array?

AT11/Order Cleric 9. You drop 4 SA dice but pick up SG+SW+Divine strike and orders demand. Bonus action enchantments. Best with average/low int and high wis. We're just for its class features (all of them) and a few more slots/tricks.

Going with an int focus AT9/Enchanter11. Enjoy spamming twinned and heightened enchantments comstantly.

Dex focus AT20. This is probably the only rouge that loses nothing by not dipping.

The premise here is that we don't want to dip less than 9 levels as anything under that (class features, 5th-6th level spells) is just worse than rouge progression with a feat. Any dip of 9 levels or more will change our focus to more of a full gish. So in the listed examples we gain *enough* magic to drop a big spell in every single combat (wiz, 4 5ths, 2 6ths), a synergy stewpot of features with 4 5ths and 3 4ths a day (cleric) or we say screw it and just go straight AT.

Sception
2018-11-21, 11:13 AM
Cleric, sorcerer, warlock, even paladin all have interesting applications in a multiclass with arcane trickster, but the multiclassing stat requirements in what are ortherwise dump stats for a trickster strike me as somewhat onerous. Seems like you'd lose a lot of the arcane trickster's subclass identity by lowering int to make them work. I'm not sure that sacrifice is worth it when bladesinger exists.

Exocist
2018-11-21, 07:09 PM
You can attempt to sneak attack 2x/round, but you only get one sneak attack per round.

That quote says once per turn, not once per round. If you find a way to make an attack out of turn (Such as by using a Ready action or Opportunity attack), you can sneak attack twice per round.

Using Haste lets us do this - use the additional action granted by Haste to attack (triggering sneak attack) and then use our main action to Ready an attack (or booming/green-flame blade) on some trigger.

LudicSavant
2018-11-21, 07:10 PM

Read the text you, yourself, quoted. Once per turn, underlined by you. Not the same as once per round.

Expected
2018-11-22, 11:11 AM
That's what I'd do. It'll work better for both the Arcane Trickster AND the Bladesinger. You can always grab Resilience (Wis) later.

Additionally, since Intelligence-based characters are pretty rare, you'll be more able to fill a niche that's missing in your group as the Historian/Investigator.

I like this idea, but I'm concerned about the effect it will have on my Wis saves, until level 15, and my Insight/Perception checks. Is it usual for Rogues to be the target of effects that cause Wis saves?

Expected
2018-11-22, 11:15 AM

Interesting. I do like the fact that War Magic has two very useful features for only two levels. If I understand correctly, can I keep using Arcane Deflection each turn, as long as I do not attempt to cast anything other than a cantrip? And, in your opinion, is this better than the features granted by two levels of Bladesinger?

Expected
2018-11-22, 11:19 AM
I mean yeah, Rogues still get something out of Action Surge, everyone does.

But they don’t benefit from it tremendously the way some other classes / archetypes do. I wouldn’t go Fighter 2 over Fighter 1 just for Action Surge on a Rogue, personally. Unless, of course, I was working towards Fighter 3 for sweet sweet Riposte and Precision Strike.

I do like Battlemaster Fighters, but I prefer Sentinel to Riposte only because you need a high AC to maximise its benefits. Also, you can do the Mirror Image + Sentinel combo for somewhat reliable reaction Sneak Attacks (this does conflict with Haste + Ready Action, though). Sentinel is also relatively useless (except for the trick I mentioned) if another party member has it.

Expected
2018-11-22, 11:24 AM
Since you are planning to be in melee often, fighter to add a shield and defensive fighting style is very helpful. Action surge is beautiful on an arcane trickster when you can hide, cast hold person and force the save at disadvantage, then action surge and sneak attack crit. If you are going to be in melee anyway, you might also think about taking sentinel so that you can get your second sneak attack as a reaction (depending on your DM's interpretation, you can also get it off of attacks towards you if you have mirror image, although some don't allow that). For third level fighter you have two very good options. If you are crit fishing with Elvin Accuracy champion is really nice (especially with advantage frequently with you have stated you will be looking for). Battlemaster is also excellent. Take Riposte and get a second sneak attack off turn when they attack you and miss (which they will much more with your defense fighting style and shield). You are extremely tanky with uncanny dodge and evasion, and your action economy is very efficient with multiple uses of your action, bonus action, and reaction. I played this build with the champion set up and had a blast.

Exactly! So is losing an ASI + 1d6 SA for 3 levels of Champion Fighter worth shield proficiency, Action Surge, increased crit range (crit on 19-20), and Second Wind? Or should I do Champion 4 for the ASI? And if so, should I just continue to Champion 5 for Extra Attack? It becomes harder for me to justify stopping at 3.

Nhorianscum
2018-11-22, 11:25 AM
I like this idea, but I'm concerned about the effect it will have on my Wis saves, until level 15, and my Insight/Perception checks. Is it usual for Rogues to be the target of effects that cause Wis saves?

AOE effects? About as often as everone else.

Targeted effects? You are a rouge with fog cloud, line of sight is not a thing you respect.

Expected
2018-11-22, 11:28 AM
AOE effects? About as often as everone else.

Targeted effects? You are a rouge with fog cloud, line of sight is not a thing you respect.

True. And I'm planning on being in the frontlines, hence the high Con score and desire for shield proficiency.

Expected
2018-11-22, 11:33 AM
With the stats listed I would say that bladesinger would be the best choice. From 2 up to 7 levels would be good. The enhanced range and number of spells can really enhance the utility of an arcane trickster. Plus you get ritual casting, a spell book, and a lot more spells.

Level 6 gives you extra attack and level 7 gives you greater invisibility which allows for always on sneak attack and advantage on attacks as long as your target can't see you.

If you had higher charisma then warlock (darkness+devils sight) + another invocation, or shadow sorcerer (same darkness+see in the dark trick for advantage at level 3) can work.

Finally, battlemaster can work with riposte to possibly give you another sneak attack (but usually only works if you are a melee rogue).

However, of them all, the bladesinger is probably the most thematically appropriate and useful for either a small dip or a larger one.

I'd be willing to move scores around and even switch to Half-Elf/Wood Elf if necessary (Elven Accuracy is a requirement for me, however, to take advantage of rolling a d20 three times for increased crit probability--unless it is not optimal, that is). I also like the idea of taking 2 or 3 levels in Warlock for Darkness + Devil's Sight. There is also the possibility of Shadow Soul Sorcerer 3 for Eyes of the Dark (pseudo Darkness + Devil's Sight). I'd need 13 Cha to multiclass into those, however, so if I were to, do you have suggestions on how to rearrange my race + scores?

Nhorianscum
2018-11-22, 11:39 AM
True. And I'm planning on being in the frontlines, hence the high Con score and desire for shield proficiency.

Not seeing how this stops you from playing tactically.

Is there a caster in the enemies? Block LoS, blick em because skirmisher.

Is there a BBEG with a BBSOS? Skirmish like a skirmisher.

At level 9 you will be hiding every time you want to cast anywho. Because skirmishy guy with magic is your bag baby.

All that aside there's really no reason not to carry a hand/light Xbow/some darts/daggers for flexibility.

Dropping an area of impaired vision/difficult terrain does more to control enemies than standing in their faces will.

None of this stops you from frontlining when frontlining is a good idea.

Absolute worst case do-or-die? Kill the lights or drop smoke, pop a potion of haste, and crack mirror image. Force your enemies to play blind man's bluff, with a buzzsaw, in the dark. Dark that is full of illusions, thrown voices, traps, pitfalls, whatever.

Expected
2018-11-22, 11:47 AM
Not seeing how this stops you from playing tactically.

Is there a caster in the enemies? Block LoS, blick em because skirmisher.

Is there a BBEG with a BBSOS? Skirmish like a skirmisher.

At level 9 you will be hiding every time you want to cast anywho. Because skirmishy guy with magic is your bag baby.

All that aside there's really no reason not to carry a hand/light Xbow/some darts/daggers for flexibility.

Dropping an area of impaired vision/difficult terrain does more to control enemies than standing in their faces will.

None of this stops you from frontlining when frontlining is a good idea.

So Fog Cloud is extremely useful then for impairing their vision? Does that allow me advantage because they can't see me? Or does it cancel my advantage because I can't see out of it?

I planned to either use the Haste + Ready trick or Mirror Image/positioning myself next to an ally + Sentinel to maximize SA DPR. I do like the versatility of choosing my positioning and acting as a skirmisher.

Keravath
2018-11-22, 11:50 AM
I'd be willing to move scores around and even switch to Wood Elf if necessary (Elven Accuracy is a requirement for me, however, to take advantage of rolling a d20 three times for increased crit probability--unless it is not optimal, that is).

In that case, you need to consider how you will get advantage. There are quite a number of ways, many of which hinge on the vision rules or melee attacks against an adjacent prone target. However, I've found that they don't just happen. Either you need to factor in the ability to get advantage into your character build or you need team mates with abilities that will help you get advantage.

Advantage is required to make elven accuracy meaningful. It also increases your chance to hit and enables sneak attack.

Do you plan on being ranged or melee?

Decent options for advantage -
- bonus action hide (works mostly only for ranged attacks)
- familiar using help action
- faerie fire spell
- greater invisibility or shadows of moil
- darkness+devils sight/see in magical darkness (either warlock or shadow sorcerer can do this)
- battlemaster maneuvers?

If you have an established party and some of the party members can do these things for you then great ... otherwise you might want to consider putting some of these into your build (this is one reason I like the warlock dip for devils sight ... but using darkness around your party requires some finesse :) ).

Expected
2018-11-22, 11:59 AM
In that case, you need to consider how you will get advantage. There are quite a number of ways, many of which hinge on the vision rules or melee attacks against an adjacent prone target. However, I've found that they don't just happen. Either you need to factor in the ability to get advantage into your character build or you need team mates with abilities that will help you get advantage.

Advantage is required to make elven accuracy meaningful. It also increases your chance to hit and enables sneak attack.

Do you plan on being ranged or melee?

Decent options for advantage -
- bonus action hide (works mostly only for ranged attacks)
- familiar using help action
- faerie fire spell
- greater invisibility or shadows of moil
- darkness+devils sight/see in magical darkness (either warlock or shadow sorcerer can do this)
- battlemaster maneuvers?

If you have an established party and some of the party members can do these things for you then great ... otherwise you might want to consider putting some of these into your build (this is one reason I like the warlock dip for devils sight ... but using darkness around your party requires some finesse :) ).

I'm fine with either melee or ranged, whichever is more optimal and deals the most DPR (I was leaning more towards melee because of Sentinel/Haste and offturn Sneak Attacks).

I'd like my build to be as self-sufficient as possible so that I know for a fact that I will have advantage (especially so if playing AL with randoms).

Previously, I was considering a ranged Wood Elf Scout Rogue with Magic Initiate/Ritual Caster (13+ Wis) for Find Familiar and/or Skulker if I'd prefer to hide between each turn. For this, the Archery Fighting Style is ABSOLUTELY mandatory so 1 level in Fighter or 2 levels in Ranger is essential.

Even in my AT build, I will be using an owl familiar to help with advantage as well as Versatile Trickster.

Nhorianscum
2018-11-22, 12:32 PM
So Fog Cloud is extremely useful then for impairing their vision? Does that allow me advantage because they can't see me? Or does it cancel my advantage because I can't see out of it?

I planned to either use the Haste + Ready trick or Mirror Image/positioning myself next to an ally + Sentinel to maximize SA DPR. I do like the versatility of choosing my positioning and acting as a skirmisher.

Again. Those tricks work. Having more tricks is always good.

You have a litteral birds eye view of combat. At all times, and dropping concentration is instantaneous. If they are outside of fog and you are out of their LoS, either in fog or on the other side, and your owl can see them. Yes, advantage. DM ruling may make this take an inefficent amount of action but that's fine...

The main schic here is just staying alive though. Dead men deal 0 damage (Ok yeah dead men deal a lot of damage. But the experiance is unpleasent)

The best optimization is just talking with your DM about the "rulings > rules parts of 5e.

TL:DR: Enemies get ranged tricks, from the xl1 goblin hidespamming, to the CR 20 dragon just... not chosing to engage the flightless mammal in mele. Have a plan b-z

MaxWilson
2018-11-22, 02:40 PM

Heavy obscurement prevents anyone from seeing that which is concealed by it. It doesn't prevent you from seeing out.

If you're in the Fog Cloud, you have advantage (by RAW at least) against things that are outside of the Fog Cloud.

The fact that fog is one-way in 5E is kind of weird and bugs some players and some DMs, so be prepared for your DM to possibly rewrite the rules on heavy obscurement.

djreynolds
2018-11-22, 11:24 PM
I think paladin of vengeance is actually a good dip, having 13 in strength and charisma isn't terribly difficult, along with a 17 in dexterity.

You get some really good domain spells, and vow of enmity works with elven accuracy

And you can add a smite to your sneak attack, you can add bless or shield of faith, or hunter's mark

And with healing spells, you can live with a con of 12

And with aura of protection, all your saves are buffed.

The only issue is once you've maxed out dexterity, do you pump more into intelligence or charisma?

You could grab one of those new eladrin with plusses to dex and charisma

Run the numbers, you can squeeze out the stats, its a viable build

ATHATH
2018-11-23, 03:49 AM
Peoples call me troll.
However, I always speak the truthy! Facts are facts, It doesn't care if they love or hate it.
I find it amusing that this comes from the same guy who claimed that "no" meant "yes" (as quoted in my signature).

Anyway, on topic, I'm not sure about how good a War Wizard dip would be. War Magic eats your Reaction, which you want to use to get off-turn Sneak Attacks (via opportunity attacks, readied actions, maneuvers, etc.). Then again, you won't always be in a position where you can set up the conditions for a Sneak Attack, in which case War Magic might be pretty good (unless you're an Arcane Trickster, who should be using their reaction to cast Shield or Absorb Elements in situations like that).

Citan
2018-11-23, 07:50 AM
I'm fine with either melee or ranged, whichever is more optimal and deals the most DPR (I was leaning more towards melee because of Sentinel/Haste and offturn Sneak Attacks).

I'd like my build to be as self-sufficient as possible so that I know for a fact that I will have advantage (especially so if playing AL with randoms).

Previously, I was considering a ranged Wood Elf Scout Rogue with Magic Initiate/Ritual Caster (13+ Wis) for Find Familiar and/or Skulker if I'd prefer to hide between each turn. For this, the Archery Fighting Style is ABSOLUTELY mandatory so 1 level in Fighter or 2 levels in Ranger is essential.

Even in my AT build, I will be using an owl familiar to help with advantage as well as Versatile Trickster.
Well, then I really think your best bets are still Ranger (current stats) or Bladesinger (move stats).
Ranger: Archery/Defense, shield proficiency, few spells that will get great mileage (Goodberry/Longstrider/Hunter'sMark/Zephyr's Strike), boost to Initiative and better opening turn for small Gloomstalker, Extra Attack and Rope Trick at 5, and Haste + Conjure Animals if Horizon Walker 9.

Wizard: immediate, and big, boost in spell known. Automatic boost of spell known thanks to Rogue "known" -> Wizard "book" store and swap technique...

The advantage of keeping WIS is that you could even instead (or additionally) dip into Tempest Cleric for melee Booming Blade nova.

In both cases you get strong boosts in offense, mobility and defense, but in different ways and different amplitudes.
Defense: permanent through armor proficiencies (Ranger) / short-rest through Bladesong + one slot on Mage Armor (Wizard). In both cases, when really needed, you get same AC. Shield you already got from AT anyways.
Mobility: through slot consumption on Longstrider + Zephyr's Strike (Ranger), through Bladesong and possibly slots on Longstrider (Wizard). For dips, both are a wash: Ranger has the benefit of freeing bonus action if Zephyr's Strike, Wizard has the benefit of providing sustainable speed boost. Also, Wizard gets Haste much earlier.
Offense: Ranger provides a minor boost with Hunter's Mark (pretty decent if multiattack), a much better boost with Ensnaring Strike (but targets STR), and otherwise a permanent archery boost. Wizard's boosts all come from spells, but you have more options: Magic Weapon, Shadow Blade, Haste being the primary ones.

EDIT: Also, if you plan on staying as much as possible Hidden, or getting Extra Attack and use Expert Shove, which both generate advantage per se, then don't worry about Archery, simply pick Elven Accuracy. Tri-advantage is largely enough to offset a "missing" +2.

Galadhrim
2018-11-23, 10:26 PM
Exactly! So is losing an ASI + 1d6 SA for 3 levels of Champion Fighter worth shield proficiency, Action Surge, increased crit range (crit on 19-20), and Second Wind? Or should I do Champion 4 for the ASI? And if so, should I just continue to Champion 5 for Extra Attack? It becomes harder for me to justify stopping at 3.

For your vision of a melee trickster that is tanky and can get off multiple sneak attacks per round, yes, I think it is worth it.

1. You raise your ac by 3-4, which is huge for someone standing in melee, which you will necessarily be doing in order to proc your off turn sneak attack.
2. Action surge, while not extremely valuable for most rogues, is infinitely more so for a trickster, who is often times balancing spending an action on a spell and sneak attacking. With action surge you can do both.
3. Increased crit range + elven accuracy on a character set up to get two sneak attacks per round is beautiful.

Now, where do you stop your fighter progression? I actually do think 3 levels is the best, but you can play that by ear. The reason is, you are set up to maximize your sneak attack. Slowing that down comes at a price, and I don't think the extra asi and extra attack are worth the slow down. Keep in mind, you'll get an extra asi as a rogue anyway.

Citan
2018-11-24, 04:33 AM
For your vision of a melee trickster that is tanky and can get off multiple sneak attacks per round, yes, I think it is worth it.

1. You raise your ac by 3-4, which is huge for someone standing in melee, which you will necessarily be doing in order to proc your off turn sneak attack.
2. Action surge, while not extremely valuable for most rogues, is infinitely more so for a trickster, who is often times balancing spending an action on a spell and sneak attacking. With action surge you can do both.
3. Increased crit range + elven accuracy on a character set up to get two sneak attacks per round is beautiful.

Now, where do you stop your fighter progression? I actually do think 3 levels is the best, but you can play that by ear. The reason is, you are set up to maximize your sneak attack. Slowing that down comes at a price, and I don't think the extra asi and extra attack are worth the slow down. Keep in mind, you'll get an extra asi as a rogue anyway.
Hey. ;)

Some counter-argument.

1. Ranger brings the same AC plus value (medium armor + shield). Besides that, Bladesinger with stat swap would bring at least +2 immediately and +3 later, but also more slots for defensive spells. If OP tends to play days with few encounters this would provide more mileage (of course opposite situation = less mileage ;)).
There is also the Tempest Cleric case which could be very compelling on that matter (proficiencies + Shield of Faith).

2. It's a very YMMV of course, but I'd like to get some detailed examples, because, as far as I know, most Arcane Trickster / Eldricht Knight simply use Booming Blade with an action, sometimes just using fight buffs in first round like Mirror Image (especially with a 14 max in casting stat).
At least until he gets Magical Ambush / Eldricht Strike and starts being good enough at offensive spells.

Also, if OP likes the idea of using Haste, not only would Bladesinger be the fastest way, it also takes care of points 1&2, in melee *and in ranged* (since you decide on the condition which triggers the Ready action).

3. Nothing to argue on that indeed. :) But I'd say it's really a long-term goal though.
Because if you compare a 3-level package in all classes, I'd argue the Wizard still wins, simply because you learn so many more spells thanks to spellbook + spell known that you'll have much better chance to set up the best conditions for your next fight.
But of course that's an extreme case of YMMV. :)
Also, Sneak Attack is not actually the best deal when one just wants the maximum sustainable nova with Elven Accuracy, but that's another matter. ^^

@OP: if your character won't go past level 10-12, you'll obviously have to pick one choice and stick with it. If you're going for high end and don't care about Extra Attack because you'll be confident in generating advantage + Elven Accuracy, why not pick two at the same time?
- Bladesinger 2 ASAP, Fighter 1 ASAP, Bladesinger 3 just before/after you get 2nd level spells as Rogue, Fighter 2 and Fighter 3 when you feel action surge and improved crit range starts being required (saying that because Rogue features are all great, *especially* Reliable Talent, you don't want to wait for that too much ^^).
- Tempest Cleric 2 / Gloomstalker|Horizon Walker Ranger 3: Cleric 1 ASAP, Ranger 2 soon enough, remaining after character level 11 at least (unless you really want nova damage early, but I'd say it's not worth delaying important Rogue features until you get at least 3rd rank of Booming Blade and starts facing tough enemies).