PDA

View Full Version : [Creature] Hmmmm mmm mm mm mmm...

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-09-20, 11:22 AM
Hummingbird

http://www.birdwatching-bliss.com/images/broad_tailed_hummingbird.jpg

Diminutive Animal
Hit Dice: 1/8d8 (1 hp)
Initiative: +9
Speed: Fly 50 ft. (good)
Armor Class: 19 (+5 dex, +4 size), touch 19, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-17
Attack: -
Full Attack: -
Space/Reach: 0 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: -
Special Qualities: Low-light vision
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +7, Will +2
Abilities: Str 1, Dex 20, Con 10, Int 1, Wis 15, Cha 8
Skills: Hide +17, Listen +5, Spot +7
Feats: Altertness, Improved Initiative(B)
Environment: Temperate Forest or Marshes
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 1/8
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: -
Level Adjustment: -

A hummingbird is a miniscule avian that gains its name from the continuous drone of its rapidly beating wings. Most have brilliant plumage, the exact color depending on the species, with a long, narrow beak and tongue used for drinking nectar. Their legs are small for even their size with barely visible talons on the ends.

A hummingbird weighs only a few grams.

Combat
Against larger creatures a hummingbird flies quickly away in a weaving, tumbling course. Creatures its size or larger that venture too close will often be charged aggressively, being worried and harried for as long as it remains.

Evasion (Ex): If a hummingbird makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, it instead takes no damage. A helpless hummingbird does not gain the benefit of evasion.

-=-=-=-=-

Hummingbirds As Familiars
A hummingbird grants its master a +2 bonus to his initiative.

AKA_Bait
2007-09-20, 11:29 AM
I like it, not so sure about the familiar thing though. +2 init is pretty good.

Lord Tataraus
2007-09-20, 11:30 AM
It exists, DR323 Hummingbird familiars give +4 initiative. Its part of an amazing init wizard my friend was making with something like +17 init not including spells to boost dex and such.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-09-20, 11:38 AM
It exists, DR323 Hummingbird familiars give +4 initiative. Its part of an amazing init wizard my friend was making with something like +17 init not including spells to boost dex and such.
Crud, thought they might have been done already. How close are they to each other?

DracoDei
2007-09-20, 11:40 AM
They can actually fly without the hum... infact quietly enough to qualify for ranks in move silently I think (I have photographed them at pretty close range a once or twice, and my dad had done so many many times). They use the hum as a threat/territorial sound I think (but yes, it does come from the wings).

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-09-20, 11:45 AM
They can actually fly without the hum... infact quietly enough to qualify for ranks in move silently I think (I have photographed them at pretty close range a once or twice, and my dad had done so many many times). They use the hum as a threat/territorial sound I think (but yes, it does come from the wings).
I've done the same, even had them perch on me. I've never heard a hummingbird not humming.

JackMage666
2007-09-20, 12:46 PM
It needs more lasers.

Lord Tataraus
2007-09-20, 01:22 PM
Crud, thought they might have been done already. How close are they to each other?

It looks like its close, I don't remember exactly (I'm at college with only a few Dragons). I have a feeling that it had Dex 22, but don't take my word for it.

Eighth_Seraph
2007-09-20, 03:10 PM
And now, of course, comes the inevitable question...

What would a dire hummingbird look like?

GimliFett
2007-09-20, 03:12 PM
And now, of course, comes the inevitable question...

What would a dire hummingbird look like?

Two Words: BAD ASTERISK! Even though it'd only be like...Small-sized, maybe medium? :smallsmile:

JackMage666
2007-09-20, 03:13 PM
A small-sized Stirge.

DracoDei
2007-09-20, 04:04 PM
Except not quite as ugly (irredencense (sp) for one...) and without the blood sucking...

Reinboom
2007-09-20, 04:26 PM
If awakened and made into a race for players (-10 Str, +10 Dex, +4 Wis), what would be a decent LA? 2?

Goober4473
2007-09-20, 06:06 PM
Didn't they get rid of fractional hit dice in 3.5?

DracoDei
2007-09-20, 06:18 PM
Certainly not.

F.H. Zebedee
2007-09-21, 06:58 AM
It's requisite that I go and drool over the imminent possibility of a dire one, just because Dire little creatures are awesome.

And also, I really like Hummingbirds in D20, especially as familiars. Looks just about right, though I'd think that Hummingbirds would count as having perfect flight manueverability, whatwith the hovering and flying backwards and such.

I think Gamebird did one in their real animals project, or something like that. Though I think theirs was a little LESS powerful, IIRC.

DracoDei
2007-09-21, 07:47 AM
Where is that project?

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-09-21, 08:13 AM
Looks just about right, though I'd think that Hummingbirds would count as having perfect flight manueverability, whatwith the hovering and flying backwards and such.
The hummingbird is actually used as an example of Good maneuverability.

'Perfect' are creatures like Ghosts that can even fly upside down and around corners without reduction in speed and such.

Gamebird
2007-10-29, 11:02 PM
Hummingbird, as it is in my animals file (stats are a combination of DMG "thrush" and MMI "Tiny bat"):

HUMMINGBIRD
Diminutive Animal
Hit Dice: 1/4 d8 (1 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 5 ft (1 square), fly 40 ft. (perfect)
Armor Class: 17 (+4 size, +3 Dex), touch 17, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/–17
Attack: —
Full Attack: —
Space/Reach: 1 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Low-light vision
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +5, Will +1
Abilities: Str 1, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 8
Skills: Hide +15, Listen +3, Move Silently +6, Spot +12
Feats: Alertness
Environment: Non-arctic terrestrial
Organization: Solitary or pair
Challenge Rating: —
Hummingbirds are vividly colored birds that drink nectar and eat small insects.
Combat
Hummingbirds have no effective combat skills.
Skills: A hummingbird has a +8 racial bonus on Spot checks.

And yes, I know that the DMG lists a hummingbird as merely Good manueverability.

brian c
2007-10-29, 11:21 PM
I saw the title to this and wondered if it was related to the Crash Test Dummies song. VT, you should take it as a compliment that I thought you would be able to stat out a mid 90s canadian folk-rock song as a creature.

(I'm getting a weird sense of deja vu here... can anyone remember if that song has been mentioned on these boards before in gaming or homebrew?)