PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Otiluke's resilient sphere vs difficult terrain

holywhippet
2018-11-20, 05:21 PM
If a character is inside of a resilient sphere than can push on the sphere's wall to move around at up to half their speed. What happens of they try moving through difficult terrain while inside of the sphere. Would their effective speed be quartered?

Man_Over_Game
2018-11-20, 05:27 PM
If a character is inside of a resilient sphere than can push on the sphere's wall to move around at up to half their speed. What happens of they try moving through difficult terrain while inside of the sphere. Would their effective speed be quartered?

RAW, Yes. Difficult Terrain doesn't stack with itself, but ORS doesn't specify Difficult Terrain, so it does stack with DT movement penalties.

As a DM, though, I'd say No, because the Sphere is labeled as "immune to all damage, and a creature or object inside can't be affected by anything outside the sphere, nor can it affect anything outside in turn". So it's pretty clear it's an indestructible hamster ball, likely not hindered by most forms of Difficult Terrain, but that's just my call.

MaxWilson
2018-11-20, 05:28 PM

The way it works is that difficult terrain makes you spend more movement (2 feet per foot of actual movement). Same thing for moving while prone, or climbing. Dashing increases your movement budget by adding your speed again to your basic budget; speed changes like from Spiritual Weapons and Otiluke's Resilient Sphere change your basic movement budget.

In short, yes, speed would be quartered under those circumstances.

DarkKnightJin
2018-11-20, 11:58 PM
RAW, Yes. Difficult Terrain doesn't stack with itself, but ORS doesn't specify Difficult Terrain, so it does stack with DT movement penalties.

As a DM, though, I'd say No, because the Sphere is labeled as "immune to all damage, and a creature or object inside can't be affected by anything outside the sphere, nor can it affect anything outside in turn". So it's pretty clear it's an indestructible hamster ball, likely not hindered by most forms of Difficult Terrain, but that's just my call.

That's all well and good, but the difficult terrain isn't affecting the creature, but the hamster balls that is ORS. A creature with base 30ft move speed can move 15 feet while inside ORS. Difficult terrain means 2 feet need to be spent for every foot you want to move.

I believe wall of Sand (possibly Wind) requires 3 feet per foot, and Plant Growth requires 4 feet per foot travelled.