PDA

View Full Version : Integrating psionics into a setting from scratch?

danielxcutter
2018-11-20, 08:07 PM
Okaaaaaaaay... so, the XPH(and other books) have psionic variants of races and monsters, right?

The thing is, some of them don't exactly fit 1-to-1 with the original fluff.

One of the most prominent examples - to me at least - are the Githyanki. These guys are the origin of the term "gish", aka martial/arcane spellcaster multiclass builds, but that was before XPH introducing their psionic versions. While they still have Fighter as their favored class and thus can be used for arcane gishes with LA buyoff or on the DM's side of the table(though you'll need more than Eldritch Knight, that's for sure), a naturally psionic race being well-known for their arcane prowess is a bit... odd. Oh sure, it's not quite impossible for at least some of them to pursue that career, but still.

I think, if one were to make an original setting featuring psionic variants of existing races and monsters, one would have to do so from the ground up, and probably make them a bit different than the original WoTC fluff. The psionic-from-the-start races have their own fluff(though that does vary from setting to setting; Elans in Eberron are a bit different from the standard version), so that would have to be incorporated too.

Psionic Aboleths differ most from their original versions in that many - but not all, such as Wall of Ectoplasm - their PLAs are mind-affecting telepathy powers, where as the original's SLAs are illusions. There isn't a real psionic substitute for illusions aside from False Sensory Input - which psionic aboleths have as a PLA - but aside from that, aboleths in general aren't really that strongly tied to any type of arcane magic or psionic power. Heck, since they just have PLAs and not actual manifesting, there's no real problem with giving an aboleth either type of class, or even something else entirely different like Cleric levels. The only major difference besides that is the Savant Aboleth monster PrC from Lords of Madness, and there's even a very simple sidebar regarding conversion.

Don't have much to say about Dromites; just inserting the XPH fluff as appropriate should be enough, me thinks. Most of the non-variant naturally psionic races are, actually, so I'm gonna skip over most of them unless they relate to other races as well.

Duergar make good Psychic Warriors - and there's an optional variant that changes their favored class to that, even - so in a setting using their psionic versions, that seems like a good choice. Ardents could work too - perhaps have them replace Clerics? Sure T1 is better than T3, but it does make sense fluff-wise and there's nothing wrong with Ardent, after all. Other manifesting classes could work too, as long as they don't need Charisma(and frankly, most really don't). In fact, dwarves in general seem to have non-insignificant connections with psionics; they even have their own name for the Illithid Slayer PrC("caradhaker", which roughly means "mindstalker"). And duergar have even more of a reason to hate the flayers than their surface cousins no matter how you flavor their society; being closer plus naturally psionic probably means they're more often targeted. Hmm... that could explain a bit, actually...

Elans... well, mostly there might not be much reworking needed. Depends on if you intend to incorporate Quori-related material; in Eberron elans are created when a quori is forcefully bound to a host, instead of willingly like kalashtar or Inspired. Though it may be possible to make an entirely different background for them that allows them to use quori embedded shards without having a quori trapped inside of you... hmm, any ideas?

The gith races... well, I suppose it's just a matter of having them being renown for psionics instead. Githzerai could be Psychic Warriors or Ardents, possibly multiclassing into Monk by using the Tashalatora feat. Not sure about the variant favored class though; although Wilder isn't exactly terrible, they don't get a Charisma bonus(though high Cha does help a bit with the save DCs for the PLAs). Githyanki... I dunno, any ideas? Wis penalty doesn't work well with Psychic Warrior or Ardent and I dunno about any class combinations that get them +16 BAB and 9th level powers. Though the stat bonuses aren't too bad for a straight Psion or Wilder I suppose...

Half-giants themselves are easy to add; the thing I ponder is the combination of actual giants with the Primodial Giant template(from Secrets of Xen'drik) with levels in manifester classes, as powers count as SLAs... could work? Oh yeah, and Elder Giant Magic probably gets a bit crazy with that when combined with other ML boosters I guess.

Illithids... yeah, to be honest, the psionic variant is way better than the default; even if you treat caster classes as non-associated like they did in Lords of Madness instead of associated like in core. Since they manifest as 9th-level Telepaths at CR 8, they can lose up to 4 ML and still get 9ths by CR 20. Ideas? Theurge-types like Cerebremancers and Divine Theurges can get a mind flayer 17th-level telepath manifesting and 15th-level casting on the other side, and most PrCs that lose lots of ML are mostly "weak" because the things you get don't outweigh losing access to 9th-level powers... but illithids can spare to lose one more than standard psions.

Kalashtar and the Inspired... they're so setting-related that they're going to be difficult to refluff, though far from impossible I suppose. Heck, I don't think the Quori need to be auto-Evil; even in canon Eberron non-evil quori became the kalashtar after all.

Probably missing a few points and stuff, but yeah. Thoughts and ideas?

Lapak
2018-11-20, 09:35 PM
Okaaaaaaaay... so, the XPH(and other books) have psionic variants of races and monsters, right?

The thing is, some of them don't exactly fit 1-to-1 with the original fluff.

One of the most prominent examples - to me at least - are the Githyanki. These guys are the origin of the term "gish", aka martial/arcane spellcaster multiclass builds, but that was before XPH introducing their psionic versions. While they still have Fighter as their favored class and thus can be used for arcane gishes with LA buyoff or on the DM's side of the table(though you'll need more than Eldritch Knight, that's for sure), a naturally psionic race being well-known for their arcane prowess is a bit... odd. Oh sure, it's not quite impossible for at least some of them to pursue that career, but still.

Probably missing a few points and stuff, but yeah. Thoughts and ideas?
One possibility is to look backward for inspiration where it exists. The original original Githyanki (the kind that got published in the AD&D1e Fiend Folio) were all psionicists. They also progressed as either Fighters, Magic-Users, or Fighter/Magic-Users, but all of them had the full suite of psionics except Tower of Iron Will, so that was definitely their thing from the get-go. Of course it worked differently in not being a class of its own in that edition, but your instinct to make them gishy psionics-types is a good one. Given that they were always psionic but effectively multi-classed with either melee or magic or both, I'd be inclined to go ahead and give them Favored Class (Any Psionic) with the expectation that most non-PCs are multiclassed and then prestige into a gish or Cerebremancer-type build.

danielxcutter
2018-11-20, 09:45 PM
One possibility is to look backward for inspiration where it exists. The original original Githyanki (the kind that got published in the AD&D1e Fiend Folio) were all psionicists. They also progressed as either Fighters, Magic-Users, or Fighter/Magic-Users, but all of them had the full suite of psionics except Tower of Iron Will, so that was definitely their thing from the get-go. Of course it worked differently in not being a class of its own in that edition, but your instinct to make them gishy psionics-types is a good one. Given that they were always psionic but effectively multi-classed with either melee or magic or both, I'd be inclined to go ahead and give them Favored Class (Any Psionic) with the expectation that most non-PCs are multiclassed and then prestige into a gish or Cerebremancer-type build.

Oh the Githzerai are actually fairly easy; single classed Ardents or Psychic Warriors work quite fine, and if going with the default Favored Class: Monk, they can also benefit greatly from the Tashalatora feat. No Cha penalty makes Wilder at least possible; the problem is that it's not really great as a variant favored class. Otherwise though, entirely doable.

The Githyanki are more of a trouble honestly; as I mentioned, the Wis penalty makes them bad for Psychic Warriors or Ardents and I don't think there's really any other way of getting the highest level powers of their manifesting class and +16 or better BAB. Hmm...

Elricaltovilla
2018-11-21, 10:24 AM
You could consider adding Pathfinder psionic classes (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/psionics-unleashed/classes/)to the mix. The Tactician is INT based and can Gish pretty well, the Pathfinder soul knife is actually good and the vitalists serves as a functional healer.

That should open up some more options for you, and help fill in some missing roles.

Nifft
2018-11-21, 10:48 AM
1) You don't need to import all Psionic races into your setting if you don't have a place for them. Likewise, you don't need to import all expansion races -- nor even all Core races. You should pick a palette of races which help set player expectations about your game.

2) For monsters, yeah, you can get dissonant fluff. But if it's your own setting, you are not beholden to any pre-written fluff. Look at the abilities, the weaknesses, and decide if you want the thing in your game in the first place -- then decide how you want to use it.

What's the genre / feeling / high-concept for your setting?

danielxcutter
2018-11-22, 12:33 AM
You could consider adding Pathfinder psionic classes (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/psionics-unleashed/classes/)to the mix. The Tactician is INT based and can Gish pretty well, the Pathfinder soul knife is actually good and the vitalists serves as a functional healer.

That should open up some more options for you, and help fill in some missing roles.

Er... no offense, but I don't exactly do PF; I'm only familiar with 3.5. Oh, I do hear good things about Soulknives there, and good things about that version in general... but only heard.

1) You don't need to import all Psionic races into your setting if you don't have a place for them. Likewise, you don't need to import all expansion races -- nor even all Core races. You should pick a palette of races which help set player expectations about your game.

That is a very good point, especially since there are like close to a dozen naturally psionic races and that's not even including other races *cough*humans*cough* getting on in the fun, and I am very unfamiliar with the Gith races so I don't know how to use them yet, honestly.

2) For monsters, yeah, you can get dissonant fluff. But if it's your own setting, you are not beholden to any pre-written fluff. Look at the abilities, the weaknesses, and decide if you want the thing in your game in the first place -- then decide how you want to use it.

Most monsters are actually fairly easy; it's mostly just the Gith races and the Eberron stuff that are really difficult to implement. Since most monsters are just, y'know, monsters.

What's the genre / feeling / high-concept for your setting?

Hmm... that's a complicated question to answer, actually.

I'm not actually out to make a game setting, strictly speaking. I've mentioned this occasionally in the past and you might have seen that, but I have this idea for an OotS-inspired webcomic, using like a gazillion sources... original setting of course, and non-profit, since it's just something I want to do, and also has the welcome side effect of allowing me to use as much non-OGL stuff as I want without getting a cease-and-desist from WotC.

Anyways, I guess that makes the genre fantasy, or maybe self-aware stick figure fantasy parody I guess? :smalltongue:

The comic setting is quite vast - as mentioned, I have plenty of sources in mind. Aside from Core and psionics, the subsystems I've already decided on are:

Invocations(Warlock absolutely, DFI maybe)
Tome of Battle
Incarnum
Artificer infusions

The only reason the Tome of Magic classes aren't included - yet - is the problem with adapting the vestige fluff; Shadowcasters and Truenamers might be weak, but there's certainly nothing that makes it impossible to implement them into the world I have in mind.

Power level is going to be at least fairly high - for one, a very prominent group(both in-universe and story-wise) is a 7-member party of semi-retired 24th-level adventurers, though it should be noted that these are extremely exceptional individuals, even for the relatively high-level setting. For another, a lot of characters will be quite well optimized, and I plan on using 32 point-buy. And in addition, the story starts with the main party being 12th-level, and probably going up to 24th-level themselves, so it's going to be mostly mid~high level, up to low epic.

Oh yeah, the existence of elans are at least known, if slightly obscure compared to other races, due to one of the previously mentioned epic-level adventurers being an elan Fangshields Ranger 2/Fighter 1/Egoist 11/Illithid Slayer 10. (And yes, she Improved Rapidstrikes with Claws of the Beast.)