PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A The Fighter Archetype brutes

berserker7878
2018-11-21, 04:01 AM
this archetype it's still in test or is it approved? because in unearthed arcana there is always

Unoriginal
2018-11-21, 05:24 AM
It only exist in one UA, so no it's not official content.

Exocist
2018-11-21, 07:31 AM
It's unlikely to be released. Huge amounts of negative reception.

I allow it in place of the Champion. Champion sucks, so recommending it to new players is kinda of dooming them to suck past a certain level. Brute is still pretty simple, but at least it's effective at doing what its meant to do (which is be a big scary dude that's tough and hits hard).

berserker7878
2018-11-21, 08:59 AM

I allow it in place of the Champion. Champion sucks, so recommending it to new players is kinda of dooming them to suck past a certain level. Brute is still pretty simple, but at least it's effective at doing what its meant to do (which is be a big scary dude that's tough and hits hard).

when and how could I keep myself informed to see if it will be deleted or not? because we do not have the information for the moment? I mean officially, the brute is still considered an unofficial element

Unoriginal
2018-11-21, 09:24 AM
when and how could I keep myself informed to see if it will be deleted or not? because we do not have the information for the moment? I mean officially, the brute is still considered an unofficial element

There is no info or ways to get informed, unless you or someone else ask the designers directly and they answer. Or if they decide to give updates on their own initiative (unlikely).

Last tangentally related thing we heard about the Brute, to my knowledge, was Mearls mentioning how its bonus damage was balanced but that people didn't feel that way because it was an automatic, always on bonus.

Man_Over_Game
2018-11-21, 11:30 AM
A good rule is that if it's been released for over 6 months, and something official comes out and it doesn't have the Unearthed Arcana, then it's probably out. Spore Druid and Order Cleric were both in UA around the same time as Brutes, and they're being officially released where the Brute is not.

I feel like the Brute and the Champion effectively do the same thing, but the Brute didn't have any ribbons or any kind of identity beyond being a murderhobo. It's the Fighter version of the Hexblade, except the Fighter is already the class lacking the most amount of identity.

stoutstien
2018-11-21, 09:01 PM

The champiom hardly sucks. It lacks options and has very few non-combat features.
Few simple fixes makes it great.
-add a ribbon ablity at 3rd lv. Even a tool Prof works.
Allow remarkable Athlete to work on saves also.

berserker7878
2018-11-22, 03:10 AM
A good rule is that if it's been released for over 6 months, and something official comes out and it doesn't have the Unearthed Arcana, then it's probably out. Spore Druid and Order Cleric were both in UA around the same time as Brutes, and they're being officially released where the Brute is not.

I feel like the Brute and the Champion effectively do the same thing, but the Brute didn't have any ribbons or any kind of identity beyond being a murderhobo. It's the Fighter version of the Hexblade, except the Fighter is already the class lacking the most amount of identity.

Ok for the reply,

on ddbeyond it's unofficial, and on DD5 help (https://www.aidedd.org/) there is always the brute and it is especially in the uneathed arcana edit in French.

I will have to look often to know if it is formalized, modified or deleted.

it is possible to create a class with unearthed arcana? suddenly to finish my campgane if the brute is deleted I can proposed to guard my archetype with some mods

Unoriginal
2018-11-22, 05:19 AM
it is possible to create a class with unearthed arcana? suddenly to finish my campgane if the brute is deleted I can proposed to guard my archetype with some mods

What do you mean? You can play with Unearther Arcana if your DM let you.

Arkhios
2018-11-22, 05:43 AM
Ok for the reply,

on ddbeyond it's unofficial, and on DD5 help (https://www.aidedd.org/) there is always the brute and it is especially in the uneathed arcana edit in French.

I will have to look often to know if it is formalized, modified or deleted.

Might I recommend using dnd5e.fandom.com (https://dnd5e.fandom.com/wiki/D%26D_5th_Edition_Wikia) instead of aidedd.org. I've found the layout somewhat better, but to each their own, obviously.

For what it's worth, I'm generally against using 3rd party sites as far as credibility matters, but the information I've found in there has checked out with the official rules (with only a scant few exceptions that didn't; and I think they're just oversights). Still, I use the website mostly to give me the general idea of the options, and if I absolutely want to make a character with those materials, I look them up from the actual supplements. But the website helps me to find them.

berserker7878
2018-11-22, 06:24 AM
Might I recommend using dnd5e.fandom.com (https://dnd5e.fandom.com/wiki/D%26D_5th_Edition_Wikia) instead of aidedd.org. I've found the layout somewhat better, but to each their own, obviously.

For what it's worth, I'm generally against using 3rd party sites as far as credibility matters, but the information I've found in there has checked out with the official rules (with only a scant few exceptions that didn't; and I think they're just oversights). Still, I use the website mostly to give me the general idea of the options, and if I absolutely want to make a character with those materials, I look them up from the actual supplements. But the website helps me to find them.

oh, i know this site, but for me it's not the better source of official information, or i think bad, i like this site for information like stats, etc.. but for the official information, in my way, i think it's better, it's maybe a my mistake? i don't know.

berserker7878
2018-11-22, 06:30 AM
What do you mean? You can play with Unearther Arcana if your DM let you.

if this archetype is cancel, i don't have other choice than take other achertype?

what it's your advace for change (if it is deleted) ? i think battlemaster is OP, My way is to MAX damage, and champion it's not really OP.

The Battlemaster offer for exemple, advantage, more damage but he have only 5 Dices in lv 8. and 5 Dices, it's ridicilous in comparison to the brute damage.

berserker7878
2018-11-22, 09:16 AM
The champiom hardly sucks. It lacks options and has very few non-combat features.
Few simple fixes makes it great.
-add a ribbon ablity at 3rd lv. Even a tool Prof works.
Allow remarkable Athlete to work on saves also.

for my opinion, the barbarian ans their domaine, it's very OP in comparaison to archetype fighter, the bear domain it's just a cheat things.
And brute it's a good archetype, yes champion is bull****, saving throws for str, dex and cons?? seriously, have alreday +8 in str, cons and +2 to dex, we need more saving throws wisdom