PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Feat Question

Mystical-man
2018-11-21, 08:18 AM
I have a feat idea for a paladin which I am mixed about the idea about it, it's a feat in which you can gain extra spell slots and there are some things I would like to see in this feat and I am more asking about power than anything else. Here are two ideas about the feat, thoughts?

Magic Restoration
Prerequisite: the ability to cast at least one 1st level spell
- You gain two 1st spell slots which are regained by taking a long rest
or
- You gain one 1st spell slots which are regained by taking a short rest

Man_Over_Game
2018-11-21, 11:41 AM
I have a feat idea for a paladin which I am mixed about the idea about it, it's a feat in which you can gain extra spell slots and there are some things I would like to see in this feat and I am more asking about power than anything else. Here are two ideas about the feat, thoughts?

Magic Restoration
Prerequisite: the ability to cast at least one 1st level spell
- You gain two 1st spell slots which are regained by taking a long rest
or
- You gain one 1st spell slots which are regained by taking a short rest

The second version is more balanced and versatile. Early on, two extra level 1 spells is a big deal in a single fight, but not great if you're worried about sustainability. On the other hand, one per short rest means you can feel comfortable indulging in a RP spell on occasion and still afford to do cool stuff in combat when you need to.

The Short Rest version is what I'd go for, especially since it gives you something usually only Warlocks get. Consider the Long Rest version vs. Magic Initiate, and which one you'd rather take.

demonslayerelf
2018-11-22, 02:01 AM
I just need to point out that Magic Initiate is a pretty garbage thing to weigh it against, since MI is only good at really low levels(For somewhat obvious reasons; A 1st level spell loses the bulk of it's power just at 5th level(What's a Burning Hands from an untrained fighter compared to a Fireball from a Wizard?.. Or just a pair of attacks, really.))

I would make the spell slot scale. Probably Proficiency Modifier-1. That makes it a 2nd level slot at 5, a 3 at 9, 4th level as a 13th level character, and 5th level as a 17th level character. It's always useful, but it's never particularly powerful(Cone of Cold is nice, but Wizards get Meteor Swarm at the same level, so...)

Alternatively, you might just make it the Mystic Restoration feature from Wizards and Land Druids. Maybe half the number of spells, but probably you don't even need to do that.

Arkhios
2018-11-22, 02:13 AM
I'd say that you could also make it a half-feat that increases Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma by 1, to a maximum of 20, because if you offer another feat for your players to choose, you should make it so that any spellcaster could benefit from taking it, rather than only favoring that one player who has a Paladin.

In other words, I think it's OK to restrict a feat to those with the ability to cast spells; Likewise, I think it's not OK to restrict a feat to only those who have levels in a specific class.

clash
2018-11-22, 09:38 AM
I just need to point out that Magic Initiate is a pretty garbage thing to weigh it against, since MI is only good at really low levels(For somewhat obvious reasons; A 1st level spell loses the bulk of it's power just at 5th level(What's a Burning Hands from an untrained fighter compared to a Fireball from a Wizard?.. Or just a pair of attacks, really.))

I disagree with this sentiment. I think you have entirely missed the point of MI. You dont take damage spells with MI. Maybe damage dantrips if your hard up for damage options but never damage spells. You take utility, defensive, buff, debuff or control spells. Literally anything but damaging spells and they will stay relevant your entire career. Spells like Find Familiar, Shield, Bless, Absorb Elements, Feather Fall, Entangle, Charm Person, Command, Fog Cloud. That makes MI a great comparison point.

With that in mind I would avoid scaling spell slots. I think the short rest mechanic is a good idea. I would give an asi for one spell slot that comes back on a short rest if my primary stat was maxed out. If you wanted to amke it available to non-caster as an alternative to MI you could throw in a spell known and it shouldn't break anything for casters or non-casters and improve it a little bit.