PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Halfling Lightfoot - Naturally Stealthy.

Tawmis
2018-11-21, 05:20 PM
So one of the traits the Lightfoot Halfling has is being "Naturally Stealthy."

Naturally Stealthy: You can attempt to hide even when you are obscured only by a creature that is at least one size larger than you.

===

I am not too clear on how this works. Because can't ANYONE attempt to be Stealthy (and make that Skill check)? So how does this Naturally Stealthy Race Skill work any different than a normal Stealth check?

For example, couldn't a dwarf try to stealth behind a Dragonborn?

Aett_Thorn
2018-11-21, 05:23 PM
Normally you need some sort of cover before you can even attempt a Stealth check, and other characters in this edition don’t count as that for the purposes of Hiding. Unless you’re a Lightfoot Halfling, that is.

Kane0
You need to break line of sight in order to hide, and creatures generally don't provide enough cover to do so. That's where the ability kicks in, lightfoot halflings can use even medium creatures as cover

Ganymede
All creatures can attempt to hide when heavily obscured by something, and, generally speaking, creatures cannot attempt to hide when they are only lightly obscured by something.

This halfling feature lets them ignore the limitation above when they are lightly obscured by larger creatures.

Tawmis
2018-11-21, 05:44 PM
Thank you everyone!

Man_Over_Game
2018-11-21, 05:46 PM
In case you're wondering "When the hell will that be useful?", the answer is Plenty.

According to Jeremy Crawford (whatever that means at your tables), you can attack from cover while still being hidden (although you're revealed as soon as the attack is done).

So as a Lightfoot Halfling Rogue, you can just Bonus Action Hide behind one of your friends and then attack with advantage. Every turn. At least, as long as your friend is providing you Cover (meaning they're blocking the direct path to any visible enemy).

Tawmis
2018-11-21, 06:02 PM
In case you're wondering "When the hell will that be useful?", the answer is Plenty.

According to Jeremy Crawford (whatever that means at your tables), you can attack from cover while still being hidden (although you're revealed as soon as the attack is done).

So as a Lightfoot Halfling Rogue, you can just Bonus Action Hide behind one of your friends and then attack with advantage. Every turn. At least, as long as your friend is providing you Cover (meaning they're blocking the direct path to any visible enemy).

This is perfect. I was doing research for the Bard (the other thread I have about the Bard player) - and she's a Lightfoot Halfling, so there I was compiling things she could do when I noticed that.

I think this skill will definitely bring her closer to being comfortable in combat too (since she can stand behind the Dragonborn Barbarian).

ImproperJustice
2018-11-21, 06:21 PM

Which conjures some funny mental images.

When passing a check point, the Half-Orc says, wait I know I have my id someewhere, and as he reached in his pocket, the Halfling Assassin appears from between his legs and sneak attacks the unsuspecting authoritarian.

Strangways
2018-11-21, 11:02 PM
This is perfect. I was doing research for the Bard (the other thread I have about the Bard player) - and she's a Lightfoot Halfling, so there I was compiling things she could do when I noticed that.

I think this skill will definitely bring her closer to being comfortable in combat too (since she can stand behind the Dragonborn Barbarian).

Naturally Stealthy is so strong on a rogue because of how well that it synchronizes with Cunning Action that it's almost a waste when a Lightfoot Halfling plays something other than a rogue. Lightfoot Halflings are born to be rogues, and super deadly when they are. You can never be sure of the angle from which their next shot will hit you.

bid
2018-11-21, 11:19 PM
The "took an arrow to the knee" meme is true. What they don't tell you is that it was:
1- the back of the knee,
2- from friendly fire,
3- off a hiding halfling rogue.

Mad Nomad
2018-11-21, 11:41 PM
The "took an arrow to the knee" meme is true. What they don't tell you is that it was:
1- the back of the knee,
2- from friendly fire,
3- off a hiding halfling rogue.

Or an opponent shooting at the Halfling Rogue hiding behind your knee...

Really reinforces the concept of a "Meat Shield", doesn't it?

Ganymede
2018-11-21, 11:50 PM
So as a Lightfoot Halfling Rogue, you can just Bonus Action Hide behind one of your friends and then attack with advantage. Every turn.

This still has to get through the fact that "the DM decides when circumstances are appropriate for hiding." Lots of DMs disallow rehiding behind the same piece of cover multiple times.

sophontteks
2018-11-22, 12:23 AM
Naturally Stealthy is so strong on a rogue because of how well that it synchronizes with Cunning Action that it's almost a waste when a Lightfoot Halfling plays something other than a rogue. Lightfoot Halflings are born to be rogues, and super deadly when they are. You can never be sure of the angle from which their next shot will hit you.
Don't underestimate its use on spellcasters and other squishies. Rogues with cunning action can hide behind other cover just fine. There is normally a corner they can abuse, or a rock. The real strength, in my opinion, is that its moving cover available before the fight even begins. Really nice to have a caster hidden at the start of every combat. The lack of darkvision hurts a halfling's rogue role quite a lot and I'm almost bold enough to say that they make better sorcerers or warlocks.