PDA

View Full Version : Drone Mage Prestige Class

Justdamohr
2007-09-20, 01:46 PM
Late last night I was about to fall asleep when I considered this as a Prestige Class. And this afternoon I finalized it. I'm not quite sure whether this class already exist or not; either way it was enjoyable to make and hopefully it will be rather useful. Again, I would appreciate any critiques and reviews. Thanks. :smallwink:

Drone Mage
The burly soldier stared down at the small gnome, “You're not permitted here, this is restricted property.”
“There is something you have of mine, something you stole” the gnome persisted..
“We ain't got nothing of yours now move along.”
“Grant me passage Human.” he uttered with fustration.
“Or what, little man?”
“I will kill you,” he said flatly. The soldier paused before guffawing and calling back to his companions playing dice at the nearby table.
“Listen to this, the little pint says he’s gonna kill me,” he continued to laugh.
They took a moment to evaluate the small man before snickering and chuckling themselves.
The soldier looked back at his challenger and unsheathed his longsword, laying the blade in level with the gnome's eye. His laugh shifted to a serious tone, “Now who was going to kill who?” The gnome didn't answer. “Cat caught your tongue?” The soldier smirked. He went to strike when he heard the whisp and whir of wings zooming over his head. When he glanced, there hovering in the air were five glass spheres with fluttering mechanical wings. They whirled around him, making him nearly fall of balance. He tried to strike but they were far to quick for him, and before he could land a strike, one shot a ray into his chest and fluttered off to his companions.
He felt his armor and sword become heavier and heavier till he collapsed onto the floor beneath their encumbering weight. The other soldiers jolted from the table arming themselves but as he, they to fell victim to the whirring spheres.The gnome walked over the soldier and proceeded to a small chest at the back of the room where one of the orbs hovered above his head. He picked the impervious lock with ease, and removed the magical scroll within.
As he was leaving, he looked back at the soldier, "Told you, you had something of mine."
The soldier sputtered in fear, “What are you?”
The little man peered down at him and flatly stated, “The future.” Just as an eye glowed and shot a ray of light into the soldier’s heart.

It is said they were the fault of power lusting alchemists and wizards, others blamed the presence of the Inevitables, and some call it the act of aliens; either way, the result was the same; the creation of casters who control things unknown, things unnatural; machines as they are so named. Alone, these metallic masses seem harmless but combined with their masters, they are a most formidable foe, becoming what has come to be called the Drone Mage.

Requirements:
To qualify to become a Drone Mage, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Skills: Knowledge (Arcana) 10 ranks, Spellcraft 10 ranks, Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering) 10
Feats: Craft Wondrous Item, Augment Familiar
Spells Known: Major Creation
Class Ability: Must have a familiar, or be able to obtain a familiar.

Drone Mage
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells per Day

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Program Summon Drone|—

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|Program |+1 Level of Existing Class

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+3| Summon Drone 2|—

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Multi-Tasking, 2, Program |+1 Level of Existing Class

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Summon Drone 3|—

6th|
+4|
+5|
+2|
+5|Program |+1 Level of Existing Class

7th|
+5|
+5|
+2|
+5|Advanced Multi-Tasking, Program , Summon Drone 4|—

8th|
+6|
+6|
+2|
+6|Program|+1 Level of Existing Class

9th|
+6|
+6|
+3|
+6|Program Summon Drone 5|—

10th|
+7|
+7|
+3|
+7|Master Multi-Tasking, Program |+1 Level of Existing Class

[/table]

Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d6

Class Skills:
Concentration (Con) , Craft (Int), Disable Device (Dex), Knowledge (Arcana) (Int), Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering) (Int), Spellcraft (Int)
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Summon Drone
Starting at 1st level Drone Mages lose their original familiar and gaina Drone, a small machine that acts as a familiar. They may summon Drones an amount of times equal to ½ the Drone Mage’s Level + their Intelligence Modifier per day. Each Drone lasts for 10min per Drone Mage Class Level.
They can summon a Drone within 10ft of them.
A Drone possesses half the hit points of their master, have a movement speed and type, physical stats and initiative score of their original familiar form. i.e. say the Drone Mage's initial familiar was a cat, the Drones then have the stats, movements and initiative of their cat like form.
However bonuses provided by their previous form are negated and replaced by those attained with the Drone Mage’s progression.
And unlike normal Familiars, the loss of a Drone does not incur a penalty on the Drone Mage. Rather they must make a successful Disable Device Check of 10 + the damage the Drone is brought below 0 + the Drone's Int. Modifier, each hour for a number of hours equal to the damage below 0 the Drone suffered. I.E. Say a fourth level Drone is dropped to -15 hit points. The Drone Mage must make a 10 + 15 +2 = 27 alchemy check per hour for 15 hours to successfully bring that Drone back. Failure on any of these attempts forces the Drone Mage to start over again.

At 1st Level the Drone Mage can summon one Drone, at 3rd, two Drones, at 5th, three Drones, at 7th, four Drones and at 9th, five Drones. It takes a standard action to summon the Drones and it is a free action to move them.

Drone Progression
{table=head]Drone Mage Level|Natural Armor Adjustment|Intelligence |Special

1st|
+6|
11|Alertness, Improved Evasion, Deliver Touch Spells, Speak With Master

2nd|
+6|
12| DR 1/, Camera

3rd|
+7|
13| Targeting, Uploading

4th|
+7|
14| DR 2/, Forcefield

5th|
+8|
15|Sniper

6th|
+8|
16| DR 3/, Mic'd.

7th|
+9|
17| Bomber

8th|
+9|
18| DR 4/

9th|
+10|
19|

10th|
+10|
20| DR 5/ Machine

[/table]

At 1st Level Drones gain Natural Armor, an Intelligence Stat and benefits of Alterness, Improved Evasion, Share Spells, Deliver Touch Spells and Speak with Master as familiars. Please see pages 52 and 53 of the PHB.

Damage Reduction
At 2nd Level they gain Damage Reduction 1 against physical attacks. This progressively gets stronger at 4th level to DR/2, 6th level to DR/3, 8th Level DR/4, and at 10th level it becomes DR/5

Camera
Drones at 2nd Level also allow Drone Mages to see through their eyes as if they constantly had the Clairvoyance spell active.

Targeting
At 3rd level, Drone Mages may have their Drones focus on spells that require concentration to maintain while freeing them to cast other spells or take other actions. This last as long as the spell's duration or until the Drone is disrupted or the Drone Mage relinquishes them of the concentration. A Drone Mage can only have one Drone focus in this manner. As a result that Drone incurs a -4 to AC, and also negates their present Program’s benefits.

Uploading
At 3rd level, Drone Mages may place one spell of up to no higher than the spell level they can cast in each of their Drones. It requires a standard action for the Drones to use the spell and after which the slot is emptied and the Drone Mage may replace the spell.

Force Field
At 4th level a Drone absorbs 1/2 damage the Drone Mage would naturally take as if constantly under the Shield Other spell and depending on the amount of Drones present the damage can be divided amongst them, i.e. 2 Drones take half damage however they divide that damage in half amongst each of them. Same goes for 3, they divide the half damage into 1/3s, 4 Drones divide the half damage into 1/4s and 5 Drones divide the half damage into 1/5s.

Sniper
At 5th level Drones can deliver Ray Spells with the same restrictions as familiars delivering Touch Spells.

Mic'D
By 6th level the Drones in addition to Clairvoyance, Drones also allow their masters to hear through them as if permanently having Clairaudience on them.

Bomber
At 7th level Drones can deliver Area Spells with the same restrictions as familiars delivering Touch Spells. They do not suffer the damage or effects of their master’s spell.

Machine
By 10th level Drones are from then on treated as Constructs, gaining immunities to enchantments, poison, disease and effects that would normally affect its Con and Mind. Additional damage caused by critical hits no longer applies. They also do not suffer from ability damage and energy drain. In addition they no longer can die from massive damage. Please see page 163 of the Monster Manual for clarification, section (Shield Guardian)

Programs:
At 1st level and there after, Drone Mages can instill a Program into their Drones that provide them certain benefits when active. Each time a Drone Mage gains a Program, they may choose one of the abilities below and apply it to one of their Drones. However a single Drone can only have one Program active at a time during and outside of combat although there is an exception should the Drone Mage use Multi-Tasking, Advanced Multi-Tasking and Master Multi-Tasking. (See below for details) During combat a Drone Mage can alter the Program of a Drone as a full round action. Each of the Programs only remain in effect as long as the Drone is within 60ft of the Drone Mage.

Program Salvation:
Drone Mages gain a +1 to a designated Save for each Drone summoned to a total of +5. These points can be divided up amongst all the various Saves or placed on a single one. Each Drone must have this Program activated for the points to stack. (This Program only needs to be taken once)

Program Savant:
Drone Mages gain a +2 competence bonus to skill checks for each Drone summoned to a total of +10. This bonus applies to one skill only at a time, however it can be used on any skill. Each Drone must have this Program activated for the points to stack. (This Program only needs to be taken once)

Program MediCare:
Drone Mages gain a +10 temporary HP for each Drone summoned to a maximum of +50 points. Increasing the Drone Mage’s Hit Points also increases the Drone’s Hit Points as well. Each Drone must have this program activated for the points to stack. (This Program only needs to be taken once)

Program Bolster:
Drone Mages gain a +1 Enhancement bonus to DC for each Drone summoned to a total of +5. Each Drone must have this Program activated for the points to stack. (This feat needs to be taken only once)

Program Combat:
Drone Mages can place a General Feat on a Drone and gain the benefits of that feat even if they do not meet the prerequisites for it. This Program can be taken multiple times however the same feats do not incur twice the benefits, each Drone can have only one feat activated at a time unless Multi-Tasking, Advanced Multi-Tasking, or Master Multi-Tasking is being used.

Multi-Tasking
At 4th level Drone Mages can have 2 programs activated on each of their Drones, however they incur a 10% arcane failure on spells cast by the master while Multi-Tasking is active. Players must announce each time they activate this ability. To do so is a free action and to remove it is a move action.

Advanced Multi-Tasking
At 7th level Drone Mages can have 3 programs activated on each of their Drones, however they incur a 30% arcane failure on spells cast by the master while Advanced Multi-Tasking is active. Players must announce each time they activate this ability. To do so is a move action and to remove it is a standard action.

Master Multi-Tasking
At 10th level Drone Mages can have 4 programs activated on each of their Drones, however they incur a 50% arcane failure on spells cast by the master while Master Multi-Tasking is active. Players must announce each time they activate this ability. To do so is a standard and to remove it is a full round action.

Well there it is, the Drone Mage. Hope you all find it useful. Again please any criticisms, suggestions and advice are all welcome. Thank you for taking the time to review this and hope all is well.

D. :smallbiggrin:

AKA_Bait
2007-09-27, 12:43 PM
Skills: Knowledge (Arcana) 10 ranks, Spellcraft 10 ranks, Craft (Alchemy) 10, Knowledge (Planes) 10
Feats: Craft Wondrous Item, Augment Familiar
Spells Known: Major Creation
Class Ability: Must have a familiar, or be able to obtain a familiar.[/FONT]

So, one can get into this PRC at 9th level.

At 1st Level Drones gain Natural Armor, an Intelligence Stat and benefits of Alterness, Improved Evasion, Share Spells, Deliver Touch Spells and Speak with Master as familiars. Please see pages 52 and 53 of the PHB.

I think you want to get rid of share spells. Otherwise there is much cheese to be had sharing spells with my 5 drones and familiar.

Targeting
At 3rd level, Drone Mages may have their Drones focus on spells that require concentration to maintain while freeing them to cast other spells or take other actions. This last as long as the spell's duration or until the Drone is disrupted or the Drone Mage relinquishes them of the concentration. A Drone Mage may have each of their Drone's focusing on a given spell. However using this ability causes the Drone to be caught flatfooted incurs a -4 to AC, and also negates their present Program’s benefits.

This is almost certianly ripe for abuse.

Uploading
At 3rd level, Drone Mages may place one spell of up to no higher than 4th level in each of their Drones. It requires a standard action for the Drones to use the spell and after which the slot is emptied and the Drone Mage may replace the spell.

This is very problematic especially with the Program Witchcraft option.

Program Salvation:
Drone Mages gain a +1 to a designated Save for each Drone summoned to a total of +5. These points can be divided up amongst all the various Saves or placed on a single one. Each Drone must have this Program activated for the points to stack. (This Program only needs to be taken once)

I would make this a typed bonus of one kind or another. It shouldn't just stack with everything.

Program Savant:
Drone Mages gain a +2 to skill checks for each Drone summoned to a total of +10. This bonus applies to all skills equally. Each Drone must have this Program activated for the points to stack. (This Program only needs to be taken once)

Same here. Typed = less abuseable.

Program MediCare:
Drone Mages gain a +10 to HP for each Drone summoned to a maximum of +50 points. Increasing the Drone Mage’s Hit Points also increases the Drone’s Hit Points as well. Each Drone must have this program activated for the points to stack. (This Program only needs to be taken once)

The drones should probably give +10 temporary HP. just +10 to hp doesn't make much sense.

Program Witchcraft:
Drone Mages may place Metamagic Feats on a Drone for any spell they know, can prepare and cast. Whenever the Drone Mage uses that spell while the Program is active, that spell gains the benefit of the Metamagic Feat without incurring the slot penalty. They must however meet the prerequisites for that feat. This Program can be taken multiple times and can apply to the same spell or all different spells. One Drone can have many feats placed on it, however only one can be active at a time unless Multi-Tasking, Advanced Multi-Tasking or Master Multi-Tasking is used. Also having multiples of the same feat do not stack, for instance two Empower feats for fireball do not grant twice the benefits.

Broken, broken, broken broken. Get rid of this. Otherwise...

Me and my Drones: I put empower and quicken spell into two of my drones for Enervation. I invest Enervation in each of them as well. My turn?
Quickened Empowered Enervation and Empowered Enervation cast from me. 8 Negative levels.
My drones all cast it too. 5-20 negative levels.
So, somewhere bettween 13 and 28 negative levels on a target in the very first round of combat.
Even at 12 level with 2 drones this is 10-14 negative levels.

And next round, I get to toss on at least 8 more.

Also, given that enervation is a 4th level spell, and Empower and Quicken are a total adjustment of +6 I just got to cast a 10th level spell without even having 7th level spell slots.

JackMage666
2007-09-27, 01:15 PM
Program Witchcraft:
Drone Mages may place Metamagic Feats on a Drone for any spell they know, can prepare and cast. Whenever the Drone Mage uses that spell while the Program is active, that spell gains the benefit of the Metamagic Feat without incurring the slot penalty. They must however meet the prerequisites for that feat. This Program can be taken multiple times and can apply to the same spell or all different spells. One Drone can have many feats placed on it, however only one can be active at a time unless Multi-Tasking, Advanced Multi-Tasking or Master Multi-Tasking is used. Also having multiples of the same feat do not stack, for instance two Empower feats for fireball do not grant twice the benefits.

To add to the above poster, his example was a slight one - He didn't even touch on the abuse of Persistent Spell and Quicken Spell.

Justdamohr
2007-09-27, 04:56 PM
Okay I changed a lot of things you suggested, especially the Witchcraft option which I forgot about. I knew it was broken I think a while back but I forgot to fix it. Lol. Sorry. Got rid of it though. Umm....the only thing I'm confused on is the +'s to Skills and DC's, what exactly do you mean by typed bonus A.K.A. Bait?

Callos_DeTerran
2007-09-27, 05:21 PM
He means what type of bonus. Moral? Competance? Divine? If it's untyped then it stacks with everything which could potentially get pretty bad.

Justdamohr
2007-09-27, 05:27 PM
AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH..........the light bulb flickers on and then sadly off....thank you, it makes sense now. :smallbiggrin:

DracoDei
2007-09-27, 05:35 PM
Inspired by Shadowrun I take it?

CONSIDER substituting (or allowing the substitution of) Disable Device, Knowledge[Architecture and Engineering], or maybe even Open Lock for Craft(Alchemy).

Might want to scale the level of spell Uploading allows with the class level.

It is slightly unclear if the spell failure chances for the multi-tasking programs are in effect for the drone, the master, or both.

Are you sure you want them to be able to center Fireballs on themselves with impunity when the master couldn't do that (VERY useful in tight spaces)? OTOH it IS class level 7 when they get this ability so probably not so bad.

Probably should have an audio option either as a program or as an enhancement for class level to go along with Camera.

What is the range at which they can summon their drones?

May have more comments later.

Justdamohr
2007-09-28, 11:58 AM
Inspired by Shadowrun I take it?

Sorry I'm not familiar with much of the d20 books, Shadowrun being one of them. :smallsmile:

CONSIDER substituting (or allowing the substitution of) Disable Device, Knowledge[Architecture and Engineering], or maybe even Open Lock for Craft(Alchemy).

Nope, nope, nope. MAKES PERFECT SENSE. I figured Alchemy was the science but Disable Device, Knowledge [Architecture and Engineering] is totally perfect. :smallbiggrin:

Might want to scale the level of spell Uploading allows with the class level.

Done

It is slightly unclear if the spell failure chances for the multi-tasking programs are in effect for the drone, the master, or both.

I'll clarify that point.

Are you sure you want them to be able to center Fireballs on themselves with impunity when the master couldn't do that (VERY useful in tight spaces)? OTOH it IS class level 7 when they get this ability so probably not so bad.

I'm sorry but I don't exactly know what you mean by this. If you could please clarify, thanks. :smallsmile:

Probably should have an audio option either as a program or as an enhancement for class level to go along with Camera.

Done.

What is the range at which they can summon their drones?

I'll make that clear.

DracoDei
2007-09-28, 03:08 PM
I mean that if the enemies succeed in melee mobbing them and surrounding them they can center an area of effect damage spell on themselves to catch enemies in all directions and take no damage.

Justdamohr
2007-09-28, 10:03 PM
I mean that if the enemies succeed in melee mobbing them and surrounding them they can center an area of effect damage spell on themselves to catch enemies in all directions and take no damage.

I'm sorry I took a while to respond, but THANK YOU for explaining that. I had that tilted "UR?" look on my face initially. LOLOLOL. Thank you again btw for your advice, I really appreciate it. :smallbiggrin: D.

Xuincherguixe
2007-09-28, 11:33 PM
Shadowrun is one of the few things that isn't d20. (It only uses six sided dice actually.)

One of the character options is to operate vehicles remotely, through specialized cybernetic implants (some stuff changed between 3rd and 4th edition). Usaully, but not always they're small things. (You can modify cars and such for remote operation too, but there are advantages to small drones)

DracoDei
2007-09-29, 12:02 AM
Mic'D needs to be bolded for consistancy.

You removed Programmed Witchcraft, but still reference it under other abilities.

Part of the reason I originally mentioned Shadowrun was that while the mechanics are fairly original for the D&D setting a lot of the TERMS that you are using are decidely anachonistic for the psuedo-medeival era... now that we are nailing down balance issues and have the flavor pretty well established, it seemed time to mention this.
Some suggestions:
Camera -> Eyes of the Servant
Mic'D -> Ears of the Servant
Targetting -> Delegate Spell Control (Delegate Spell Concentration?)
Uploading -> Empower Drone
Force Field -> Force Shield

Also, I still don't see the scaling of the Upload ability you agreed was a good idea, nor the inclusion of provisions for using Knowledge[Architecture and Engineering].

Justdamohr
2007-09-29, 09:56 AM
Mic'D needs to be bolded for consistancy.

You removed Programmed Witchcraft, but still reference it under other abilities.

Part of the reason I originally mentioned Shadowrun was that while the mechanics are fairly original for the D&D setting a lot of the TERMS that you are using are decidely anachonistic for the psuedo-medeival era... now that we are nailing down balance issues and have the flavor pretty well established, it seemed time to mention this.
Some suggestions:
Camera -> Eyes of the Servant
Mic'D -> Ears of the Servant
Targetting -> Delegate Spell Control (Delegate Spell Concentration?)
Uploading -> Empower Drone
Force Field -> Force Shield

Also, I still don't see the scaling of the Upload ability you agreed was a good idea, nor the inclusion of provisions for using Knowledge[Architecture and Engineering].

Thanks for the corrections and the suggestions. I'll consider those. :smallbiggrin: