PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Advise on a non-coffee Sorlock

Unk
2018-11-22, 12:23 PM
Hello, everyone!

I've started building a just-in-case character and quickly really loved it, but I'm concerned with mechanical part of this character. I'm looking at lvl 11, because that's the level, when I'll probably need this character

It's a warforged envoy divine sorc/hexblade.

right now I've come to this level distribution:
Divine sorc 1 / Hexblade 5 / Divine sorc X so that by level 11 he would be sorc 6 / lock 5

Hexblade 2 is purely for medium armor + shields and eldritch agonizing+repelling blast
Hexblade 3 is for lvl2 slots (and pact of Chain familiar for flavor)
Hexblade 4-5 mostly is only for devil's sight invocation. Devil's sight is not for darkness combo, but for being able to enjoy the beauty of Underdark mushroom forests and stuff - so that's flavor also

Mainly I'm planning to blast everyone (maybe even twice in a turn with Quickened metamagic), but also have in my pocket some utility\heal spells from sorcerer.

Metamagic: quickened, subtle

Spells:
cantrips
utility and flavor: control flames + shape water (for cool water-fire animation), guidance, minor illusion, prestidigitation
combat: eldritch blast, shocking grasp (when in melee)
healing: spare the dying

1 - hex, shield, cure wounds (fo being good divine sorc), healing word (for distance heal), feather fall
2 - darkness (not for combat, but for hiding\running away\etc), levitate, mirror image, misty step, suggestion (subtle social stuff)
3 - counterspell, dispel magic, fireball (for some AoE), revivify

So, the question I'm stuck with is:
Are 2 levels of warlock worth the flavor, or being without lvl 4 spells will be devastating or just bad?

Maybe some other advice on this build?

Descole
2018-11-22, 01:00 PM
You could just skip repelling blast. It is useful sure but not as useful as 2 levels of sorcerer and at lvl 11 you can expect quite a lot enemies that don't care about being pushed (extreme movement speed, teleportation or ranged attacks). If you really want repelling blast I say cut the flavor devil's sight, most of the fun of the sorclock comes from the sorcerer side so get yourself as many lvls there as you can. If you really want to you could even pick the spell Darkvision for the same result with less investment.

As for your spells, I recommend cutting cure wounds, you already have healing word and you will find yourself never wanting to use your action on a minor heal. Hex is a lot of damage and some fun uses by hexing ability scores. Feather fall is useful but if you have a wizard or someone else with more known spells in the party it's nice if they could get it instead as only 1 per party need feather fall. Levitate is fine, fly great so I recommend the switch. Magehand is useful and now as a warforged you get to use "ROCKET POWERED FIST!". I'm not a fan of using shocking grasp, you could just take the dodge action with your 19+ Ac (24 with shield) and run away or burn 1 of your plentiful lvl 2 spell slots on a misty step. Skip spare the dying, pick up a med kit for 10 gp and you get the same results.

If you heed my advice and go warlock 3/sorcerer 8+ I recommend greater invisibility, polymorph and banishment. With this route you might also get to take a feat while having 20 charisma.

Have fun and blast people.

Unk
2018-11-22, 01:29 PM
You could just skip repelling blast. It is useful sure but not as useful as 2 levels of sorcerer and at lvl 11 you can expect quite a lot enemies that don't care about being pushed (extreme movement speed, teleportation or ranged attacks). If you really want repelling blast I say cut the flavor devil's sight, most of the fun of the sorclock comes from the sorcerer side so get yourself as many lvls there as you can. If you really want to you could even pick the spell Darkvision for the same result with less investment.

As for your spells, I recommend cutting cure wounds, you already have healing word and you will find yourself never wanting to use your action on a minor heal. Hex is a lot of damage and some fun uses by hexing ability scores. Feather fall is useful but if you have a wizard or someone else with more known spells in the party it's nice if they could get it instead as only 1 per party need feather fall. Levitate is fine, fly great so I recommend the switch. Magehand is useful and now as a warforged you get to use "ROCKET POWERED FIST!". I'm not a fan of using shocking grasp, you could just take the dodge action with your 19+ Ac (24 with shield) and run away or burn 1 of your plentiful lvl 2 spell slots on a misty step. Skip spare the dying, pick up a med kit for 10 gp and you get the same results.

If you heed my advice and go warlock 3/sorcerer 8+ I recommend greater invisibility, polymorph and banishment. With this route you might also get to take a feat while having 20 charisma.

Have fun and blast people.

You know, probably I should have titled this post "Talk me out of taking 2 redundant lvls of warlock" =)
I think switching shocking grasp to mage hand would be interesting.. And I'll have to get rid of Spare the dying because I'll have only 7 cantrips.
Cure wounds is bonus from Devine Sorc Good. But I can also consider switching to Neutral for Protection from Evil and Good..
I was considering spending my two ASIs for Cha boost, yes

So, let's see:
Divine Sorc 1 / Hexblade 3 / Divine sorc 7

Str 8
Dex 14
Con 16
Int 8
Wis 12
Cha 20

Invocations: agonizing blast, devil's sight

cantrips:
utility and flavor: control flames + shape water (for cool water-fire animation), guidance, minor illusion, prestidigitation, mage hand
combat: eldritch blast
healing: spare the dying

Spells (4 warlock, 9+1 sorc)
1 - hex, shield, cure wounds/Protection from Evil and Good, healing word (for distance heal)
2 - darkness, mirror image, misty step, suggestion (subtle social stuff)
3 - counterspell, fireball (for some AoE), revivify
4 - greater invisibility, polymorph, banishment (totally agree on all 3 as great candidates)

Slots:
4, 3 (+2/short rest), 3, 2

Seems fine, thanks a lot!

Fryy
2018-11-22, 02:18 PM
Cure Wounds and Healing Word are redundant. I like Healing Word because it's a bonus action.
Subtle Healing Word is great fun and therefore optimal.

Unk
2018-11-22, 02:36 PM
Cure Wounds and Healing Word are redundant. I like Healing Word because it's a bonus action.
Subtle Healing Word is great fun and therefore optimal.

As I've already said, that's the "free" spell from Divine Magic. I can replace it only with Protection from Evil and Good, because I'm going to be either neutral good or true neutral

Fryy
2018-11-22, 04:33 PM
As I've already said, that's the "free" spell from Divine Magic. I can replace it only with Protection from Evil and Good, because I'm going to be either neutral good or true neutral

You can replace your "free" spell whenever you level up in Sorcerer, but you can only replace it with another Cleric spell... with any other Cleric spell of a level you can cast.

In addition, choose an affinity for the source of your divine power: good, evil, law, chaos, or neutrality. You learn an additional spell based on that affinity, as shown below. It is a sorcerer spell for you, but it doesn't count against your number of sorcerer spells known. If you later replace this spell, you must replace it with a spell from the cleric spell list.

Unk
2018-11-22, 04:35 PM
You can replace your "free" spell whenever you level up in Sorcerer, but you can only replace it with another Cleric spell... with any other Cleric spell of a level you can cast.

Holy ****, am I dumb! You're right, how could I've missed it.. Thanks a lot!

Fryy
2018-11-22, 05:37 PM
Holy ****, am I dumb! You're right, how could I've missed it.. Thanks a lot!

Glad to be of help... have you considered adding 'Bless'? Quicken Bless plus EB is pretty good.

Unk
2018-11-22, 05:53 PM
Glad to be of help... have you considered adding 'Bless'? Quicken Bless plus EB is pretty good.

I think, that I already have several better concentration spells than Bless, but I'll consider that

kamap
2018-11-23, 03:11 AM
Is the divine sorcerer important? Else you might want to look at shadow sorcerer for beeing able to cast the carkness spell with sorcery points.
Going with the book pact can net you 9 cantrips (2 warlock, 4 sorcerer, 3 from any list and doesn't have to be the same list with pact of the book --> book of ancient secrets invocation) and 2 rituals (again with book of ancient secrets) one of them for a familiar.

So then this becomes viable.
shadow sorc 1 / Hexblade 3 / Shadow sorc 7

Str 8
Dex 14
Con 16
Int 8
Wis 12
Cha 20

Invocations: agonizing blast, book of ancient secrets

cantrips:
utility and flavor: control flames + shape water (for cool water-fire animation),minor illusion, prestidigitation, mage hand
+3 cantrips from any list.

2 rituals: find familiar, +1 (alarm is nice) and if the DM is willing you'll get to add more rituals when you find scrolls for ritual spells upto lvl 2 spells, there are many.

Spells (4 warlock, 9 sorc)
1 - hex, shield
2 - darkness (cast from sorcery points), mirror image, misty step, suggestion (subtle social stuff)
4 - greater invisibility, polymorph, banishment (totally agree on all 3 as great candidates)
fill in the missing ones

Slots:

Unk
2018-11-23, 03:23 AM
Is the divine sorcerer important? Else you might want to look at shadow sorcerer for beeing able to cast the carkness spell with sorcery points.
Going with the book pact can net you 9 cantrips (2 warlock, 4 sorcerer, 3 from any list and doesn't have to be the same list with pact of the book --> book of ancient secrets invocation) and 2 rituals (again with book of ancient secrets) one of them for a familiar.

So then this becomes viable.
shadow sorc 1 / Hexblade 3 / Shadow sorc 7

Str 8
Dex 14
Con 16
Int 8
Wis 12
Cha 20

Invocations: agonizing blast, book of ancient secrets

cantrips:
utility and flavor: control flames + shape water (for cool water-fire animation),minor illusion, prestidigitation, mage hand
+3 cantrips from any list.

2 rituals: find familiar, +1 (alarm is nice) and if the DM is willing you'll get to add more rituals when you find scrolls for ritual spells upto lvl 2 spells, there are many.

Spells (4 warlock, 9 sorc)
1 - hex, shield
2 - darkness (cast from sorcery points), mirror image, misty step, suggestion (subtle social stuff)
fill in the missing ones

Slots:

Yeah, pretty important story-wise and because I want to have some healing and revivify..

kamap
2018-11-23, 03:29 AM
Then you can disregard the shadow sorcerer bit.

What about the book of ancient secrets invocation?

Unk
2018-11-23, 03:34 AM
Then you can disregard the shadow sorcerer bit.

What about the book of ancient secrets invocation?

I really want to spend second invocation for devil's sight or repelling blast right now..
And probably will go with pact of the Chain for a cool invisible familiar