PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Twin Hold Person or Twin Hold Person

Fryy
2018-11-22, 02:01 PM
Which is better as the go-to control spell for a Sorcerer-Warlock with Twin and Subtle Metamagic?
Sorcerer X: Divine Soul
Warlock 3: Hexblade
AL Legal

Trustypeaches
2018-11-22, 02:05 PM
...wait... what?

Laserlight
2018-11-22, 02:06 PM
Given a choice between Twin Hold Person or Twin Hold Person, I'd go with Twin Hold Person. But YMMV.

Tanarii
2018-11-22, 02:09 PM
...wait... what?
Haha I though this was going to be about Twinning Hold Person vs up casting as a 2nd 3rd level slot. But I'm with you now.

Fryy
2018-11-22, 02:20 PM
Ah, my bad... I meant Twin Hold Person vs Twin Suggestion

JackPhoenix
2018-11-22, 02:37 PM
Suggestion works on wider selection of creatures and has wider applications. Hold Person is pretty much only useful in combat, but it's more reliable... you know what you'll get when it works, while Suggestion requires you to word the request properly, and the creature itself may interpret it in unpredicatble ways. It also won't offer you any advantage in combat outside "they may stop fighting for now".

Hold Person if you want to disable opponents in combat and face a lot of humanoids, Suggestion if you want more out of combat utility.

stoutstien
2018-11-22, 03:27 PM
Ah, my bad... I meant Twin Hold Person vs Twin Suggestion
They Target two different saves, have very different effects, and different target restrictions. Saying that twinning suggestion is my favorite of the two unless you have a party who have a few characters that have ways to capitalize on the auto critical.
Honestly I think the biggest factor is how the initiative works out.

JackPhoenix
2018-11-22, 04:34 PM
They Target two different saves, have very different effects, and different target restrictions. Saying that twinning suggestion is my favorite of the two unless you have a party who have a few characters that have ways to capitalize on the auto critical.
Honestly I think the biggest factor is how the initiative works out.

Both Hold Person and Suggestion use Wisdom save.

Dalebert
2018-11-22, 04:43 PM
A bit of oft forgotten trivia: Suggestion doesn't work on creatures immune to charm even though it's not considered a charm.

Leith
2018-11-22, 05:01 PM
You can't twin hold person, it's not a single target spell.

stoutstien
2018-11-22, 05:03 PM
Both Hold Person and Suggestion use Wisdom save.
Crap I forget I made suggestion a cha save as a house rule😑

And you I rule if you cast hold person at a spell lv that only targets one person it fits the "one" target restriction of twin

jiriku
2018-11-22, 05:05 PM
I vote for suggestion. There are situations where Twin makes suggestion better, and situations where Subtle makes suggestion better. Twinned hold person is good, sure, but a little hard to take advantage of because you've got to quickly get your licks in before the two targets start passing saves and recovering. And there are fewer situations where a Subtle hold person is especially useful.

For a hexblade/sorcerer, the best metamagic to pair with hold person would be Quicken. Then you can paralyze someone with your bonus action and immediately attack before they get another chance to save.

JackPhoenix
2018-11-22, 05:59 PM
You can't twin hold person, it's not a single target spell.

You can, as long as you cast it from 2nd level slot.