PDA

View Full Version : Forge cleric transmuter wizard?

Dankus Memakus
2018-11-22, 10:10 PM
So without an official artificer I have began thinking about a makeshift one. So i figured transmuter and forge cleric could be my solution. So, could anyone help me with a build for this? I just want them to have some minor alchemy artificer flavor. Could anybody help with an effective build. I definitely want 2 levels of cleric for channel divinity. Help!

Edit:I wanna play a dwarf so i dont need STR for armor and I could use help with stat distribution as well.

Ganymede
2018-11-22, 11:19 PM
First up, you need to think of the kind of PC that would both become devoted to a deity of the forge and go on to master the academic and scholastic task of mastering transmutation. Who is this person? Do you plan on him or her having a crisis of faith that causes him or her to devote time to wizardry, or do you instead plan on your PC finding a new wellspring of faith later in his or her adventuring career?

What inspired your character to take on two diametrically opposed routes, one focused on craftsmanship and the other focused on magical creation? Does he or she have trouble juggling the demands of both vocations?

These are all excellent questions to mull over in building a truly excellent character.

Grear Bylls
2018-11-22, 11:37 PM
I'm going to make a strange suggestion, but here me out. Would you also consider MCing into Druid? Think about it: you have a hunk of wood that you can turn to metal. You can shape that metal into armor. That armor then reverts to wood, allowing you to possibly be the only Druid capable of wearing Plate armor. I don't know how that would work RP wise, but mechanically, it seems pretty cool to me

stoutstien
2018-11-22, 11:47 PM
Well I'd start with 2 lv in forge cleric for the forge free crafting and the rest in wizard. Pass off the +1 weapon to the hardest hitting player and focus on buffs like bless for the hard fights. Due to being behind with spell level but not slots up casting can be great. See shatter. It a pretty common build tho I see more knowledge domian but I love the flavor of forge

Ganymede
2018-11-22, 11:48 PM
I'm going to make a strange suggestion, but here me out. Would you also consider MCing into Druid? Think about it: you have a hunk of wood that you can turn to metal. You can shape that metal into armor. That armor then reverts to wood, allowing you to possibly be the only Druid capable of wearing Plate armor. I don't know how that would work RP wise, but mechanically, it seems pretty cool to me

That just makes wood in the shape of full plate. I don't see how that helps anyone any more than hiring a craftsman to carve a wooden suit of full plate. Whether the suit of full plate is made from wood, paper, glass, dried dung, or eggshells, it is still little more than a fun and funky outfit.

Why would you suggest he devote levels to such a weird side-project?

ImproperJustice
2018-11-23, 01:12 AM
Hmmm... I think this could work.
Early game go Forge 2, then splash wizard.
Get Shield and Absorb elements and be super tough, maybe grab Green Flame Blade.
Then get Cleric up to 5, then Wizard up to 5.
Use upcast slots for spirit guardians, tiny servant, and some fireballs.
Then push Cleric to get animate objects, and upcast that too.
Then you will have a super tough heavy armor caster with a small army of Automotaun Sevants and Animated Objects.

Dankus Memakus
2018-11-23, 01:58 AM
Hmmm... I think this could work.
Early game go Forge 2, then splash wizard.
Get Shield and Absorb elements and be super tough, maybe grab Green Flame Blade.
Then get Cleric up to 5, then Wizard up to 5.
Use upcast slots for spirit guardians, tiny servant, and some fireballs.
Then push Cleric to get animate objects, and upcast that too.
Then you will have a super tough heavy armor caster with a small army of Automotaun Sevants and Animated Objects.

Yes! This is what I was thinking. I'll probably snag acid splash as alchemy flavoring too

Grimmnist
2018-11-23, 02:13 AM
If you want to play an Artificer I would recommend this (https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-LAEn6ZdC6lYUKhQ67Qk) homebrew by pastutopia. However if you don't want to do homebrew I rolled a vanilla one to test the concept, little bit of cleric and mostly wizard.

For the character's deity I think Gond is a good candidate. God of invention who is fine with magic being used to further creativity or technology.

I decided to go Rock Gnome rather than Hill Dwarf since it gets the tinker ability, this did require putting a 15 into str so I can certainly see the argument for dwarf. My ability scores with Point Buy including racial bonus are: 15, 9, 14, 16, 13, 8. This allows multiclassing into both wizard and cleric, wear plate without penalty, and stay on the power curve by focusing on high intelligence. If you don't do point buy I'd probably start with a 13 in con and hope the ~27 AC you have makes up for it (Plate + shield + Shield*spell* + Shield of Faith yay triple shield!).

I put only two levels in cleric since I felt only the level 2 feature really was needed for the artificer. With the low wis mod I took Healing Word and spells that don't rely on modifier like Guidance, Bless, Shield of Faith and Protection from Evil/Good. The rest of the levels went into Wizard to get those sweet sweet transmutation features!

All in all, it's a Wizard in plate who can artifice and occasionally heal someone.