PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a gaming tool...

EndgamerAzari
2007-09-20, 02:37 PM
Those who have used them can attest to this: while Dungeon Tiles are nice and useful, they can be a real pain the keister to set up and make them stay that way. However, they are almost a necessity for games where strategy in combat is vital.

Recently, I was informed of an alternative. Apparently, somewhere in the dark depths of the Interwebs, is a site where you can purchase a kind of dry-erase cloth (made specifically for gaming, not those giant dry-erase Post-its) that can simply be laid on the table on the DM can doodle out maps on as he pleases. However, despite my mighty internet investigation skills, my search has yet to be fruitful.

So, tell me: has anyone come across something like this while spelunking in the depths of cyberspace in search of gaming gear? Or better yet, come across on in---GASP--real life?!

Karsh
2007-09-20, 02:41 PM
Yeah, my DM has one. It's a battle mat from Crystal Caste. The link to it (or at least a product similar to it) is here (http://www.crystalcaste.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=CC&Category_Code=CM).

On closer inspection, these are actually "Wet Erase" mats, but it amounts to the same thing.

EndgamerAzari
2007-09-20, 02:44 PM
Oh my, yes! That is exactly the item of my desire! Thank you, good sir, ever so much!

blue_fenix
2007-09-20, 02:45 PM
Closest thing to that I've seen is actual white-board with dry-erase markers. I don't know of any erasable cloth-like material. Another option would be to purchase a bulk roll of white butcher paper.

Also, there are various pieces of software out there to help you with this kind of thing. Gametable is the name of one. Or you can use Microsoft Paint, zoom way in, turn on the grid lines, and use a color-coded system of pixels to show the map. With any of these, try hooking up a laptop so it outputs to a T.V. so everyone can see it.

adanedhel9
2007-09-20, 04:29 PM
Chessex (http://www.chessex.com) also makes them. I've never seen a Crystal Caste one, so I can't say anything about the difference between them. But, if you are a bit short on money, Chessex lets you buy second-runs (marginally lower quality) for about $10 cheaper than the regular price. That's how I got mine, and, seriously, I can't see what made it second-run.