PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Good or Funny non-t1 or t2 class for Fiendbinder?

RoboEmperor
2018-11-23, 05:35 AM
Fiendbinder PrC Requirements:
1. Alignment: Any nongood
2. Skills: Knowledge (the planes) 10 ranks , Speak Language (Abyssal) 1 ranks , Speak Language (Infernal) 1 ranks , Truespeak 10 ranks
3. Spells: Ability to cast summon monster IV

1. Any class can meet the Alignment Prerequisite
2. Any class can meet the Skill prerequisite with Truename Training and Knolwedge Devotion feats.
3. Any class can meet the Spell prerequisite by UMDing a Wand of Summon Monster IV or a Schema of it. Note that the prerequisite is NOT "ability to cast 4th level spells." It's "ability to cast summon monster IV"
4. Any class can become independent of the Summon Monster IV Schema by becoming a Necropolitan and spell-stitching the spell onto it.

ergo any class can enter Fiendbinder at level 8!!

Wand is probably the best option as the UMD DC for it is the lowest but it might be too expensive for a 7th level character.

So which class should this be? My current top choices are
Commoner/Expert - XD
Monk - Same reason as commoner
Bard
Warlock

ShurikVch
2018-11-23, 06:59 AM
Note of two PrC which are kinda funny to combine with Fiendbinder:

One is Demonbinder from the Drow of the Underdark

Another is Fiend Binder from the Dragon #292
(yes, Fiend Binder!)
It's a 5-levels-long PrC for Evil Orc or Half-Orc who have Iron Will, 4 ranks in Intimidation, and able to cast Summon Monster I or Summon Nature's Ally I
The key ability of the PrC is a 8-hours-long ritual which inflicts Fiendish template on a dominated Animal, after which it will become Fiend Binder's Animal Companion, and later - get mile-long Empathic Link, and would be able to share senses with it's master
Ritual is applicable, initially, to any Animal up to 3 HD, later - to 6 HD, and finally - 9 HD
Spell progression is 2/5
I'm suggesting to enter as a Mystic Ranger

RoboEmperor
2018-11-23, 06:32 PM
Note of two PrC which are kinda funny to combine with Fiendbinder:

One is Demonbinder from the Drow of the Underdark

Another is Fiend Binder from the Dragon #292
(yes, Fiend Binder!)
It's a 5-levels-long PrC for Evil Orc or Half-Orc who have Iron Will, 4 ranks in Intimidation, and able to cast Summon Monster I or Summon Nature's Ally I
The key ability of the PrC is a 8-hours-long ritual which inflicts Fiendish template on a dominated Animal, after which it will become Fiend Binder's Animal Companion, and later - get mile-long Empathic Link, and would be able to share senses with it's master
Ritual is applicable, initially, to any Animal up to 3 HD, later - to 6 HD, and finally - 9 HD
Spell progression is 2/5
I'm suggesting to enter as a Mystic Ranger

The Warlock PrC is pretty neat! You get everything at 1st level. All you need is a crazy high cha mod. This is making me want to go Warlock! Thanks!

Buufreak
2018-11-23, 07:31 PM
I'm having trouble coming up with a non high tier class that had SM4. I guess that's really your first step.

Efrate
2018-11-24, 02:13 AM
You could go binder. Zycrell is a thing. If you find a bard with the inspire that gives 2 hd and a Psion for reformation you can cheese in a bit early.

daremetoidareyo
2018-11-24, 12:05 PM
Healer, obviously.

Buufreak
2018-11-24, 12:12 PM
You could go binder. Zycrell is a thing. If you find a bard with the inspire that gives 2 hd and a Psion for reformation you can cheese in a bit early.

Idk how I always forget that exists. Probably because it is web, although perhaps one of the most well known.

Healer, obviously.

... Healer gets summons? Well damn.

Ursus Spelaeus
2018-11-24, 12:21 PM
Factotums get all the skills in the game as class skills, so you can meet your requirements with that, too.

*edit*
They can also cast Summon Monster IV by level 10. I don't know if it's a funny class for Fiendbinders, but it qualifies, at least.

gkathellar
2018-11-24, 12:28 PM
I'm having trouble coming up with a non high tier class that had SM4. I guess that's really your first step.

The OP’s logic is that by spell-stitching an SM4 schema to be used with UMD, you can skip the casting requirement.

Which, I dunno, probably works by RAW and isn’t exactly broken, but I don’t think it’d fly at most sensible tables.

The joke is that this allows you to staple completely inappropriate T5 and T6 classes to Fiendbinder, which ... is a joke, I guess.

RoboEmperor
2018-11-24, 12:33 PM

Idk how I always forget that exists. Probably because it is web, although perhaps one of the most well known.

... Healer gets summons? Well damn.

The OP’s logic is that by spell-stitching an SM4 schema to be used with UMD, you can skip the casting requirement.

Which, I dunno, probably works by RAW and isn’t exactly broken, but I don’t think it’d fly at most sensible tables.

The joke is that this allows you to staple completely inappropriate T5 and T6 classes to Fiendbinder, which ... is a joke, I guess.

Yup. that's the joke. One correction: You only need a schema OR a spell-stitched template, not both. A Wand of SMIV could work too. The only thing magic items can't help fulfill prerequisites of PrCs or Feats is "Ability to cast ___ level spells". Precocious Apprentice unclearly establishes that the "ability to cast ___ level spells" can only be obtained by class levels.

Healer, obviously.

Factotums get all the skills in the game as class skills, so you can meet your requirements with that, too.

*edit*
They can also cast Summon Monster IV by level 10. I don't know if it's a funny class for Fiendbinders, but it qualifies, at least.

I'll give these a look later when I have time. Haven't really looked into these classes before.

Buufreak
2018-11-24, 12:40 PM

Does that work, though? I'm fuzzy on spell stitching and schema, but the class specifies SM4 as a spell, so anything beyond an actual slot-using spell wouldn't qualify.

RoboEmperor
2018-11-24, 12:46 PM
Does that work, though? I'm fuzzy on spell stitching and schema, but the class specifies SM4 as a spell, so anything beyond an actual slot-using spell wouldn't qualify.

This is iffy RAW for sure and I'm exploiting said iffy RAW, but the bolded part here is baseless. If the prerequisite for a feat was "ability to assume a new form magically" there's no reason why a wand of Alter Self wouldn't let you qualify for it. Likewise if the prerequisite is "ability to cast SMIV", I don't see why a wand of it wouldn't also let you qualify for it.

If there was a magic item that lets you prepare and cast 4th level spells it would definitely let you qualify for "ability to cast ___ level spells", but alas such an item does not exist.

Buufreak
2018-11-24, 01:36 PM
Under that logic, anyone would meet the prereq as long as they had a single (or even half a) point in UMD. It only takes a 20 to activate a wand, so the single point makes it a trained skill and rollable. Technically, you'd be able, it just depends on the roll.

I'm not exactly a fan of that, which is fine if you are. I just hope you end up at a table where you make the argument and don't have a book thrown at you.

RoboEmperor
2018-11-24, 01:59 PM
Under that logic, anyone would meet the prereq as long as they had a single (or even half a) point in UMD. It only takes a 20 to activate a wand, so the single point makes it a trained skill and rollable. Technically, you'd be able, it just depends on the roll.

I'm not exactly a fan of that, which is fine if you are. I just hope you end up at a table where you make the argument and don't have a book thrown at you.

They must possess the item too just like how everyone must possess and wear a gloves of dexterity to qualify for feats with high dex, not just have the money and potentially buy one.

This is TO for sure, and my DM laughed his ass off when I showed him this idea and he said he'd allow it for a one shot or a short campaign. But yeah, TO stuff is never for actual play.

Buufreak
2018-11-24, 02:28 PM
They must possess the item too just like how everyone must possess and wear a gloves of dexterity to qualify for feats with high dex, not just have the money and potentially buy one.

This is TO for sure, and my DM laughed his ass off when I showed him this idea and he said he'd allow it for a one shot or a short campaign. But yeah, TO stuff is never for actual play.

https://i.imgur.com/sqtYh99.gif