PDA

View Full Version : Would you use this house rule for PAM?

Arkhios
2018-11-23, 01:18 PM
With Spear and Quarterstaff, as a bonus action you can extend your reach by 5 ft for one turn (or round?)

This would be either in place of the bonus action attack, or an additional option for these two (which one?)

Trustypeaches
2018-11-23, 01:22 PM
Meh

If you had this replace the bonus action attack that would be a severe nerf.

Keravath
2018-11-23, 01:30 PM
Neither?

If you added extended reach to 10' for the one-handed weapons there is no reason except GWM to use any of the other polearms. The only things they have going for them are a couple extra damage and reach (while losing a substantial amount of AC).

If you replace the bonus action attack for the one handed weapons with an extended range ... that would be a very large nerf to PAM for these weapons (not quite useless but not worth a feat).

If you just don't like it then simply remove quarterstaff and spear as options for PAM in the first place - then folks won't take the feat if they want to use one-handed weapons with a shield.

Man_Over_Game
2018-11-23, 01:40 PM
A compromise that obeys the RAI use for PAM with Quarterstaffs is allowing the 5 foot reach and bonus action attack on Quarterstaffs and Spears, but only when wielded with two hands.

I don't have the source in front of me, but the original intent of PAM was to have an alternative to TWF, and with that was the requirement of wielding the weapon with both hands to get the bonus action attack. However, this is a "how it was intended" decision and not an official one, and either to avoid making people upset or to just accept the status quo, they decided not to force that requirement into an errata.

stoutstien
2018-11-23, 05:56 PM
Mine is a simple change.
Add spear (which they finally did)
Change first bullet to :
While welding one of these weapons you may attempt a strike with the aft side as a bonus action anytime you miss an attack with the same weapon. This attack does 1d4 blunt.