PDA

View Full Version : Player Help advice wanted regarding diety choice (Ur-Priest)

skunk3
2018-11-23, 11:53 PM
I am joining a new game soon after not playing for a while. (Thank god!)

I decided to play an Eldritch Disciple character via the Ur-Priest route. He will be evil of course. I am looking for good suggestions regarding a deity to siphon power from.
Thanks guys!

Calthropstu
2018-11-23, 11:57 PM
Khorne.

Blood for the blood god, skulls for the skull throne.

Maat Mons
2018-11-24, 12:18 AM
I thought Ur Priests weren't allowed to worship any deity.

ngilop
2018-11-24, 12:38 AM
I thought Ur Priests weren't allowed to worship any deity.

Yeah.. the entire ur-priest thing is they are stealing divine power ( in the form of granted spells) from the deities because they hate them with a passion. I think the fluff line even says something along the lines of not worshipping a god.

Rebel7284
2018-11-24, 12:58 AM
Adaptation: This prestige class is written to describe characters who steal divine power from the gods and use it themselves. It’s also a good choice, however, for ex-clerics of gods who’ve somehow lost their connection to their deity (because the deity died, disappeared, or faded from existence because he had too few worshipers). Secret societies of ur-priests could exist for the express purpose of elevating (or reelevating) someone or something to godhood.

If you use the adaptation, you can certainly worship a "deity" as long as that deity isn't currently a god. Finding a dead god shouldn't be particularly difficult. I am not particularly up to date on 3.5 lore, but I recall Baal being dead in Baldur's Gate video games, Mystra died at least once and had different beings take over the essence of magic schtick, and Orcus has been stripped of his godhood at some point and is grumpy about it. And of course anyone actively trying to obtain godhood works as well.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2018-11-24, 01:22 AM
There are two types of Ur-Priest:

1. Default
You don't worship any deity, you don't single out any deity. As the clerics of other deities are granted spells each day, you steal some of those, depriving a random assortment of clerics of one of their allotted spells for that day. You only choose which spells you'll be stealing, not who you'll be stealing them from.

2. Adaptation
You worship a dead deity who's no longer able to grant spells. In this case you most likely still steal spells from clerics of other deities as those spells are granted, per the above explanation.

In either case, you don't get to pick whose clerics you're stealing spells from.

Particle_Man
2018-11-24, 02:04 AM
As the clerics of other deities are granted spells each day, you steal some of those, depriving a random assortment of clerics of one of their allotted spells for that day.

I just realized that this means that a DM could occasionally tell a PC that their cleric doesn't get a particular one of their spells on a particular day, and that it was probably stolen by an Ur-Priest somewhere on the plane they are at. :smallbiggrin:

Florian
2018-11-24, 05:26 AM
@skunk3:

The usual problem: Eldritch Disciple needs your character to have a patron deity. By default, that's a bit incompatible with Ur-Priest.

That said, logically, it should be an evil deity, because good deities don't grant (Evil) spells. Personally, I think that's too technical and should be skipped. IMHO, a good choice are always "Mother Earth" style deities like Chauntea, because it´s all ready for the reaping, right?

tadkins
2018-11-24, 05:29 AM
I just realized that this means that a DM could occasionally tell a PC that their cleric doesn't get a particular one of their spells on a particular day, and that it was probably stolen by an Ur-Priest somewhere on the plane they are at. :smallbiggrin:

That is a really, really good point... xD

thethird
2018-11-24, 05:47 AM
Sertrous (obviously)

The Viscount
2018-11-24, 10:17 AM
There are a few Vestiges that used to be deities.
Tenebrous is one example, though Tenebrous apostate has rules for worshiping Tenebrous normally, so might not be kosher.
Amon used to be a sun deity.
Geryon was one of the Lords of the Nine before becoming a Vestige, and the remaining lords can be worshiped as deities.
Shax was previously a storm giant deity of the sea.
Primus used to be leader of the Modrons, which is certainly deity-adjacent if not outright deity.

Uvexar
2018-11-24, 11:18 AM
Khorne.

Blood for the blood god, skulls for the skull throne.

Milk for the Khorne flakes, let's not forget.

All jokes aside, what domains would Khorne control? War is obvious, but is there a Blood domain?

Goaty14
2018-11-24, 12:05 PM
Whatever deity of trickery is in the campaign setting. Bonus points if your backstory is something like "I wanted to be a cleric of <deity>, but they wouldn't let me so now I just fool everybody anyways".