PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Barbarian subclass idea

Mystical-man
2018-11-24, 12:41 AM
I have been thinking about the idea of making a racial specific barbarian subclass and I have a few races in mind. These races mainly include lizardfolk and tortles for their unarmoured defence. Usually they don't stack with the barbarian's unarmored defence but what if there was a subclass specific to them that say granted enhanced unarmoured defence and the story reason would be the barbarian's unarmoured defence combining with the races unarmoured defence to grant them even stronger defence. I'd also consider the idea of involving unarmoured attacks since both races have them. Thoughts on this and if anyone has concepts for the type of abilities you might expect a subclass like this to have please say.

Arkhios
2018-11-24, 12:58 AM
I have been thinking about the idea of making a racial specific barbarian subclass and I have a few races in mind. These races mainly include lizardfolk and tortles for their unarmoured defence. Usually they don't stack with the barbarian's unarmored defence but what if there was a subclass specific to them that say granted enhanced unarmoured defence and the story reason would be the barbarian's unarmoured defence combining with the races unarmoured defence to grant them even stronger defence. I'd also consider the idea of involving unarmoured attacks since both races have them. Thoughts on this and if anyone has concepts for the type of abilities you might expect a subclass like this to have please say.

If I were to do that, I would give the enhancement to unarmored defense at 14th level, at the earliest (in other words, as the cap-stone of primal path).

As a 3rd level feature, when raging, I'd have their unarmed strikes deal 1d4 and let them make another unarmed strike as a bonus action. It shouldn't be too strong compared to, say, Berserker which does after all allow attacks with any weapon as a bonus action during Frenzy.

As their 6th level feature, their unarmed strike damage while raging could increase to 1d6. At 10th level to 1d8 and finally 1d10 at 14th level.

As for their 10th level feature, probably something non-combat oriented would be appropriate.

And the 14th level feature I already scraped on the surface. Maybe give them a +2 bonus to AC when they're not wearing armor.

Mystical-man
2018-11-24, 02:37 AM
If I were to do that, I would give the enhancement to unarmored defense at 14th level, at the earliest (in other words, as the cap-stone of primal path).

As a 3rd level feature, when raging, I'd have their unarmed strikes deal 1d4 and let them make another unarmed strike as a bonus action. It shouldn't be too strong compared to, say, Berserker which does after all allow attacks with any weapon as a bonus action during Frenzy.

As their 6th level feature, their unarmed strike damage while raging could increase to 1d6. At 10th level to 1d8 and finally 1d10 at 14th level.

As for their 10th level feature, probably something non-combat oriented would be appropriate.

And the 14th level feature I already scraped on the surface. Maybe give them a +2 bonus to AC when they're not wearing armor.

hmmm interesting. I feel like there is a interesting base here. I think I'd change it so maybe the lizardfolk's subclass is like this as thinking about it more I could see the tortle subclass being much more defender/tank while the lizardfolk could be more DPS and unarmed strike based so this would work for lizardfolk. I don't feel saying their unarmed strike deals 1d4 whilst raging would be necessary as well they already have unarmed strikes which deal 1d6 but a 1d6 bonus action attack could be interesting and berserker can do a greatsword bonus attack so as you said it wouldn't be super OP and would balance out considering that berserker gets exhaustion after but I might add some debuff like "the next weapon attack made against you has damage rolled at advantage".