PDA

View Full Version : How to build an Orzhov Guildmage

Elricaltovilla
2018-11-24, 09:42 AM
A Friend of mine has invited me to try 5e with him. The game takes place in Ravnica so I thought I'd join my favorite guild and play a guildmage of the Church of Orzhov. I'm figuring I should play a death cleric, but I need help with the specifics: spells and equipment and the like.

Mikaleus
2018-11-24, 12:17 PM
Is your DM using the Guildmasters Guide to Ravnica?

In the guide it also suggests the Order Domain (an option in the guildmasters guide to ravnica l) as an option suitable for a priest in the Orzhov Syndicate.

You also get certain spells for being part of the guild

Orzhov Guild Spells

Spell Level Spells
Cantrip friends, guidance
1st command, illusory script
2nd enthrall, ray of enfeeblement, zone of truth
3rd bestow curse, speak with dead, spirit guardians
4th blight, death ward, Leomund’s secret chest
5th geas
Your magic tends to manifest as swirling shadows, brilliant light, or sometimes the momentary appearance of shadowy spirit forms. Your spells might draw the blood of your enemies, or even directly touch their souls.

The Cleric guide by Yorrin is excellent and youll find great mechanical advice there.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?374604-The-Devout-and-the-Dead-a-guide-to-Clerics

Elricaltovilla
2018-11-24, 01:00 PM
I have not looked at the guide to Ravnica yet. That's a lot of good information though.

CantigThimble
2018-11-24, 01:53 PM
Orzhov are all about life, death and taxes. You could easily use life, grave or order domains for them depending on the individual character's specialty. Healing spells, necromantic damage spells, blessing and curse spells are all very appropriate, as well as spirit guardians which is perfect flavor for Orzhov.

How familiar are you with 5e? Do you need intro character building info or more advanced build advice?

Elricaltovilla
2018-11-24, 02:25 PM
Orzhov are all about life, death and taxes. You could easily use life, grave or order domains for them depending on the individual character's specialty. Healing spells, necromantic damage spells, blessing and curse spells are all very appropriate, as well as spirit guardians which is perfect flavor for Orzhov.

How familiar are you with 5e? Do you need intro character building info or more advanced build advice?

I've played a great deal of 3.5, Pathfinder, M&M, and other D20 systems. I have no problem with the basics of 5e, it's the advanced stuff and specifics of dealing with ravnica I need help with.

CantigThimble
2018-11-24, 07:06 PM
I've played a great deal of 3.5, Pathfinder, M&M, and other D20 systems. I have no problem with the basics of 5e, it's the advanced stuff and specifics of dealing with ravnica I need help with.

Okay, do you know what level you're starting at? Is the DM giving you any magic items? (5e is built to run just fine without the players ever getting magic items, unlike 3.P, so it's likely that you won't have any)

Typically cleric is a class that is pretty straightforward to build. They can just go from 1-20 single class and be perfectly good. The two things you want to spend your Ability Score Increases on are maxing wisdom and imporoving concentration saves. (with either Resilient: Con or Warcaster)

As far as spell selection, in order to be effective in combat you NEED Healing Word, Bless, Spiritual Weapon and Spirit Guardians. Anything else is pretty much up to your discretion.

For domains, Life Domain fits well for some members of Orzhov. Grave Domain from Xanthar's or Death Domain from the DMG would also work. The Order domain in new in the ravnica guide is apparently reccomended but honestly it feels more Azorious/Boros than Orzhov IMO.