PDA

View Full Version : Spelljammer: Psicrystals and Helms

kalos72
2018-11-24, 10:21 PM
So my group floated the idea recently about having our Psion/Fiend of Possession NPC pilot one of our Spelljammer vessels.

The proposal was that the FoP could posses the ship, there by piloting it and controlling weapons and the like, I am not sure about the weapons though. I guess if the weapons were built INTO the ship that might fly...

And have the Psicrystal be the "source" for the power to feed a Major Psionic Helm. Or perhaps a specially designed helm...

We have used her before to control siege weapons and constructs...

All thoughts are welcome.

All books are open, we play a semi 3.5ish campaign in the Forgotten Realms.

inuyasha
2018-11-25, 10:28 PM
I don't have anything to contribute yet, but I'm kinda curious, what rules are you using for 3.X Spelljammer? I've been wanting a good set of rules recently.

kalos72
2018-11-26, 08:07 AM
I play a 3.5ish game so I stick to the stuff at Spelljammer.org mostly. However I do homebrew whenever I need to suit the current campaign.

My group played through the spheres for almost a year back in 3.0.

Bronk
2018-11-26, 02:34 PM
So my group floated the idea recently about having our Psion/Fiend of Possession NPC pilot one of our Spelljammer vessels.

The proposal was that the FoP could posses the ship, there by piloting it and controlling weapons and the like, I am not sure about the weapons though. I guess if the weapons were built INTO the ship that might fly...

You could use a locust ship and control the arms, or have some turret mounted ballistae...

And have the Psicrystal be the "source" for the power to feed a Major Psionic Helm. Or perhaps a specially designed helm...

I think the closest you'd be able to get to without redesigning would be a Series Helm, which are powered by people/creatures with spell-like abilities. If you could get your psicrystal a SLA or Psi-like ability, you'd be all set. Maybe a DM would be lenient and let one temporarily power a ship if it was in 'delivering a touch power' mode, or maybe channeling a continuous power?