PDA

View Full Version : Player Help To multiclass or not to multiclass?

TheCleverGuy
2018-11-25, 01:19 AM
I'm playing in the Curse of Strahd module with my group, and we just hit level 6. I'm playing a Stout Halfling Gloom Stalker Ranger, and I'm considering whether to multiclass into Rogue at this point.

My current stats are as follows:
STR 8, DEX 18, CON, 16, INT 10, WIS 14, CHA 8

The rest of the party consists of:

A half-elf Stone Sorcerer
A human Fighter (Champion I think)
A human Berserker Barbarian
A Warforged Artificer (not sure of subclass--it's not the official class, but a UA/homebrew one I think)
A Halfling Cleric (Light domain, I think)

I'm the party's main stealth/scout character and ranged attacker (use a shortbow). Level 6 for a Ranger is sorta boring--all I get is more favored enemies/terrain. I chose Undead for my starting favored enemy ('cause Curse of Strahd), so if I stick with Ranger I'll have to figure out what else to choose. I'll also get another d10 hit die, and won't be putting off higher-level perks. Taking a level of Rogue would mean a smaller hit die, but expertise in 2 skills and sneak attack damage, as well as proficiency with thieves' tools (which the Artificer has covered already). But I'd fall a level behind on my spells, ASIs, etc, and if I want to add Ranger levels, I'll still have to take Ranger 6 first. I think the module is only supposed to go to level 10, so I'm not sure--is delaying my next ASI worth it?

I'd appreciate any thoughts or advice!

CTurbo
2018-11-25, 04:08 AM
3 levels of Rogue for Assassin would be really good

Gloom Stalker 8/Fighter 2 would be really good. Action Surge is really strong for Gloom Stalkers.

Dark Schneider
2018-11-25, 04:27 AM
It is very simple, would you miss the abilities adquired if you were single class? If yes, continue with your class, if not, get multiclass.
In other words, what abilities you think are better for you? Simply get the best ones for your case.

TheCleverGuy
2018-11-25, 09:25 AM
It is very simple, would you miss the abilities adquired if you were single class? If yes, continue with your class, if not, get multiclass.
In other words, what abilities you think are better for you? Simply get the best ones for your case.

What I'd miss most from Gloom Stalker is the 7th level WIS save proficiency, spell progression, and a delayed ASI. Spell progression isn't much though--i think I'd only get two more spells before the end of the campaign (one of third level). And the sneak attack damage boost is awfully tempting.

3 levels of Rogue for Assassin would be really good

Gloom Stalker 8/Fighter 2 would be really good. Action Surge is really strong for Gloom Stalkers.

I considered dipping Fighter, but we've already got a Fighter in the party and I don't want to step on her toes.

Nhorianscum
2018-11-25, 09:29 AM
Snip and edit.

TL:DR. Yes. Assuming you go to cl10

7 ranger/Xrouge (for Pw/oT and res con)

5 ranger/x rouge (sharpshooter+3d6 sneak)

Or 5 ranger/Xdruid (Land or twilight 3rd level spells and druid gubs)

Will give you everything you want without any toe stepping.

Crgaston
2018-11-25, 01:53 PM
The Wis save proficiency at Ranger 7 is great, but if you go GS5/Rogue 2 you'll have a bonus action you can use every round of combat versus something that may come up every now and then. Plus if you use your bonus action to hide, you'll be harder to target for the Wis saves.

If you do go Ranger 6, Humanoids are always a good choice, but honestly if 10 is your expected endpoint, then GS5/Rogue5 is tough to beat. Scout is a natural rogue archetype, as is Assassin. Your opening round will be devastating with Assassin and you'll be really hard to pin down with Scout.

As to spells, you'll have to go all the way to Ranger 9 to do better than Hunter's Mark, Goodberry, Pass Without Trace and Spike Growth as your spells known.

If you've already got an 18 Dex and Archery style, don't sweat delaying your ASI. You'll hit often enough. The Archery style and just 1d6 Sneak Attack is like having +4 to Dex. Just stay the heck out of melee if you can help it.

CTurbo
2018-11-25, 07:12 PM
A 2 level dip in Fighter is not going to step on a regular Fighter's toes

I like Ranger 8/Fighter 2 because you get a second fighting style, second wind, action surge, and second ASI

Ranger 5, Rogue 5 is really strong too

TheCleverGuy
2018-11-25, 07:34 PM
The Wis save proficiency at Ranger 7 is great, but if you go GS5/Rogue 2 you'll have a bonus action you can use every round of combat versus something that may come up every now and then. Plus if you use your bonus action to hide, you'll be harder to target for the Wis saves.

If you do go Ranger 6, Humanoids are always a good choice, but honestly if 10 is your expected endpoint, then GS5/Rogue5 is tough to beat. Scout is a natural rogue archetype, as is Assassin. Your opening round will be devastating with Assassin and you'll be really hard to pin down with Scout.

As to spells, you'll have to go all the way to Ranger 9 to do better than Hunter's Mark, Goodberry, Pass Without Trace and Spike Growth as your spells known.

If you've already got an 18 Dex and Archery style, don't sweat delaying your ASI. You'll hit often enough. The Archery style and just 1d6 Sneak Attack is like having +4 to Dex. Just stay the heck out of melee if you can help it.

Thanks for the tips! I've been thinking about it all day, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to start taking Rogue levels now, and probably go at least to Rogue 3 for the Assassin subclass. I realized that I generally only use 1 spell slot per battle, to concentrate on either Hunters Mark or Ensnaring Strike (I've had good luck keeping things restrained so far). And ya, at level 5 my 'to hit' bonus is already +9--i don't miss very much.

CTurbo
2018-11-25, 07:44 PM
Rogue 5 is great. Uncanny Dodge is awesome and 3d6 sneak damage is 1d6 more than 2d6! hahaha

Gloom Stalker 5, Assassin 3, Fighter 2 would get you 6 first round attacks with an action surge. All with advantage if enemy hasn't acted yet, all crits on a surprise round.

Crgaston
2018-11-25, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the tips! I've been thinking about it all day, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to start taking Rogue levels now, and probably go at least to Rogue 3 for the Assassin subclass. I realized that I generally only use 1 spell slot per battle, to concentrate on either Hunters Mark or Ensnaring Strike (I've had good luck keeping things restrained so far). And ya, at level 5 my 'to hit' bonus is already +9--i don't miss very much.

You're welcome! I've been playing one for about a year. He just reached GS 6/Scout 3 last month. Much fun!

Rogue 5 is great. Uncanny Dodge is awesome and 3d6 sneak damage is 1d6 more than 2d6! hahaha

Gloom Stalker 5, Assassin 3, Fighter 2 would get you 6 first round attacks with an action surge. All with advantage if enemy hasn't acted yet, all crits on a surprise round.

Yeah, but that's when the other players start throwing things at you :-)