PDA

View Full Version : Gamer Tales "Have I ever told you about the time..." awesome game stories

oxybe
2018-11-25, 05:34 AM
Anything cool or noteworthy that happens in your sessions? Drop it off here. Tell me about the time the cool thing happened. Doesn't matter the system.

We got a thread for the funny, but i want to create one for all the not-funny-but-still-very-memorable-or-awesome moments that makes playing these games worth it.

To start off, this happened last week as my group's first time playing in a Call of Cthulu campaign.

we had been playing for some time now and while we had some bumps, scrapes and slight psychological trauma to show for it, we were in pretty good condition, having only lost one character due to a player moving out of province, considering the system we played.

Our group of 1930's investigators consists of a french-canadian mechanic, an irish vagrant-come-janitor (me), a new england beat cop & an insurance auditor.

we had been investigating the disappearance of a couple of professors at the big and famous university I janitored at, who went missing on an archeological dig. My character knew them, the cop was the one put on to investigate the case, the auditor was there to check the site and report damages claims, while the mechanic was friends with me (usually driving me around town) and a reporter doing a piece on the case (who's player had moved out of town mid campaign, and thus will not be mentionned anymore).

so we started the session picking up from the last week, in media res: a group of toughs led by the local self-proclaimed sheriff are blocking our passage from a dirt road (we had gone to ask questions about the missing profs to the local bootleggers who owned the land they were excavating).

the sheriff seemed ok at the start, but his cagey and lackadaisical attitude towards some of the goings on got our attention, and when he locked away two frendlies who had been near some otherworldly happenings (a farmwife and her son, who's husband/father got disemboweled by what i can only describe as "the boar from princess mononoke") we had our suspicions he might just be trying to cover things up, but at this point we realize that he is not our friend as he's pointing a loaded shotgun our way with an armed posse who we suspect may not like our snooping either.

with the party split into two vehicles, myself with the mechanic and the auditor with the beat cop, we each make a decision independently: beat cop tries to burst through the makeshift blockade while we gun it in reverse and try to make it to the heavily armed bootleggers.

i say try to make it. while the beat cop does plow through the blockade, we... well we largely manage to back away off the dirt road, jump the ditch, tear down the fence and barrel backside of the truck into the corn fields at full speed. Clutching my rosary, i say Hail Mary and hold on for dear life as the mechanic drives blindly in reverse.

As the mechanic continues to (moatly) blindly drive backwards, something catches my eye: a misshapen, grotesque form that manages to keep up with our (slowed down) speed, flitting in and among the corn stalks.

I make the sanity check, but still lose a point. tightening my grip on the rosary I speed up repeating my Hail Mary's like a good irish catholic. Mechanic takes offense at this, thinking it a commentary on his driving.

Hitting a hole in the ground, our tuck immediately stops and the wretch catches up to us, jumps on the hood of the truck and unleashes an inhuman howl as hoards or mice, rats and insects descend on us, coming out of the fields, biting and tearing at whatever exposed flesh they can.

now, we're not D&D PCs: we're CoC investigators. those pests make painful work of the mechanic who dies to the hundreds of bites the foul rodents inflict as they swarm the truck's cabin through the open windows, before he can even fire off a shot from his "driving gun", a pistol he kept in his glovebox from his time overseas as a WW1 mechanic. My own character, by luck of the RNG granting me a comparatively nicer hit point pool, survives the first attack, but knows he's not going to survive the next. he can't get out of the truck, fight off the swarm and escape both it and it's master on foot.

He realizes he's going to die.

But Liam MacAlear survived the last 52 years on prayer, whiskey and being as tough as leather. there is no doubt in his terrified mind he's going out, but it's on his terms and he's sending this thing back to Old Scratch, express delivery.

I've been hauled around town enough to know the contents of the mechanic's truck as though it belonged to me. Liam and the mechanic were good friends. Grabbing the mechanic's pistol I reach into the back of the truck, that space between the seats and the back of the cab and shove it's muzzle into a small wooden crate that's been sitting in the back of the truck since session 1, when the mechanic bought the dynamite to clear debris but ended up just not using it.

"Hail mary, full 'o grace...".

And that's how I lost my first Call of Chulhu character, and the first two character deaths of the campaign.

currently debating between football or baseball as my next character's college sport of choice.