PDA

View Full Version : Fake fight with a BBEG

BlackStaticWolf
2007-09-20, 04:16 PM
So, my PCs are nearing what they think will be a showdown with the BBEG. In actuality, they're facing off against a very detailed illusion that's meant to distract them from their actual opponent, which is a hellcat (invisible in light).

The illusion will be very difficult to actually hit the illusion, and even if they DO, it will blur anime-style and reappear somewhere else, appearing to "dodge" the attack. So unless the use some auto-hit spells, the only big clue is that any hits they take will be of the wrong type (the illusion appears to use a knife, while the hellcat uses claws).

My quandary is... what are the appropriate skill/ability checks to use for the PCs to notice this?

Raolin_Fenix
2007-09-20, 04:20 PM
Typically, Illusion spells allow the PCs a Will save to "disbelieve," when they interact with it (such as hitting it with something, studying it intently, or just trying to hit it). Disbelief means they still see it, but they know it's fake. Give them a Spot check to notice the real hellcat underneath the illusion, if they make their save.

They only get one save apiece, though; if they "hit" the illusion and fail their save, they don't get another for hitting it again.

blue_fenix
2007-09-20, 04:21 PM
Standard practice with illusions is a will save to disbelieve rolled at the time the character first interacts with it (e.g. strikes it, touches it, passes through it). If they fail the will save, they believe it is real until told otherwise by another character or something happens that makes it really obvious. If they succeed, they know that it's an illusion. DC is dependent on the caster.

Edit: Ninja'd by a fellow Fenix!!!

Deth Muncher
2007-09-20, 04:23 PM
Well. I would assume a very high Spot check would reveal something not wuite right about the BBEG, or, alternatively, a high Spellcraft check could reveal that it's an illusion.
Edit: Gah! DOUBLE-ninja'd.
Edit edit: Well, alright, not exactly "ninja'd", but they did post at the same time as me.

skywalker
2007-09-20, 04:39 PM
So, my PCs are nearing what they think will be a showdown with the BBEG. In actuality, they're facing off against a very detailed illusion that's meant to distract them from their actual opponent, which is a hellcat (invisible in light).

The illusion will be very difficult to actually hit the illusion, and even if they DO, it will blur anime-style and reappear somewhere else, appearing to "dodge" the attack. So unless the use some auto-hit spells, the only big clue is that any hits they take will be of the wrong type (the illusion appears to use a knife, while the hellcat uses claws).

My quandary is... what are the appropriate skill/ability checks to use for the PCs to notice this?

Beyond the will save, there is a spot DC for the illusion. But the DC is 80 :smallwink: . Since the thing is invisible, there is also a DC 20 spot check to tell if there's something invisible nearby. According to the SRD, you can't actually see it, but(rules as I interpret them) perhaps you can see its tracks, or little puffs of dirt or dust when it jumps, etc. Presumably, the cat will be in one place, and the illusion in the other, correct?

I might also say you could make a heal check, a wisdom check(if you don't have heal) a knowledge(the planes or nature) check, an intelligence check, or maybe even survival, all of these to tell that, hey, waitaminute, I'm being slashed by claws, not a dagger.

Oh, and of course, I would definitely also give them a listen check.

Belteshazzar
2007-09-20, 06:17 PM
Try using shadow magic to make the illusion partially real? That way he may be able to actually parry enemies.

daggaz
2007-09-20, 06:28 PM
Yeah... getting raked with claws (leaving the typical wolverine style scars) should give a pretty hefty modifier to the PC's for disbelieving the illusion, when compared to what they should expect, which is a single cut from a dagger.