PDA

View Full Version : Playing a Phalanx Soldier in 3.5

FlokiTrainer
2018-11-25, 03:31 PM
I posted this on Reddit but was told I would probably have a better chance of getting an answer here. Basically, I am playing a 3.5 game and haven't played this edition in 10+ years. The "campaign" is just going to be a series of one shots that we will be able to jump in and out of, as we can't always get everyone together.

Anyways, I want to play the Phalanx Soldier archetype for Fighters in Pathfinder but in 3.5. I don't have access to many of the books until later tonight, but I want to go in semi-prepared.

The main things I need from the archetype are Phalanx Fighting and Shield Ally. I also wouldn't mind having access to things like Irresistible Advance and Deft Shield. Are there similar or equivalent feats that I am missing in 3.5? Or is there a good way to convert the archetype over to 3.5? Or would it be better to just homerule those as bonus feats that I can get access to at appropriate levels?

I basically want to play a spear and shield fighter that can protect allies and use weapons like the Guisarme or Halberd with a shield to make trip attempts. Any help is appreciated!

Blackhawk748
2018-11-25, 03:55 PM
You may be better off being either a Crusader or a Knight as both are better at tanking and protecting the party than a Fighter typically is. That being said Shield Ward is something you're gonna want as well as Improved Trip if you are tripping, so some Fighter levels would be welcome

FlokiTrainer
2018-11-25, 04:53 PM
You may be better off being either a Crusader or a Knight as both are better at tanking and protecting the party than a Fighter typically is. That being said Shield Ward is something you're gonna want as well as Improved Trip if you are tripping, so some Fighter levels would be welcome

Am I pretty much out of luck if I want to go spear and shield unless it's a shortspear?

tiercel
2018-11-25, 07:36 PM
If you want to go “sword & board” style (with spear or otherwise), consider checking out Person Man’s Guide to Shields (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?123630-3-X-Person-Man-s-Guide-to-Shields), which is a great resource for getting bang for your buck from shield use.

As for actual phalanx-style fighting, there are some challenges to bringing it into D&D 3.5 tactical squad combat, the first being the general lack of an overall phalanx, but the second also being that pike/polearm and shield isn’t particularly feasible unless you get an Animated shield or similar.

If you’re good to go shortspear & shield, or go for an Animated shield (or use a wand/item of Shieldbearer from Spell Compendium), then the guide above should help out.

FlokiTrainer
2018-11-25, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. There is a ton of great information in that guide, and it's going to help me out a lot. It seems that traditional spear and shield (except shortspear) is not feasible, so I have a follow up question: How gamebreaking would it be to just transfer the ability Phalanx Fighting over from pathfinder as a feat?

The text off the pfsrd:

At 3rd level, when a phalanx soldier wields a shield, he can use any polearm or spear of his size as a one-handed weapon.

Blackhawk748
2018-11-25, 08:17 PM
Am I pretty much out of luck if I want to go spear and shield unless it's a shortspear?

Pretty much, you may want to be a Goliath so you can wield a Large one to get that extra bit of damage. Not that being a Goliath is much of a sacrifice.

Thanks for the suggestion. There is a ton of great information in that guide, and it's going to help me out a lot. It seems that traditional spear and shield (except shortspear) is not feasible, so I have a follow up question: How gamebreaking would it be to just transfer the ability Phalanx Fighting over from pathfinder as a feat?

The text off the pfsrd:

At 3rd level, when a phalanx soldier wields a shield, he can use any polearm or spear of his size as a one-handed weapon.

It really wouldnt. IIRC there's an optional rule where you can use a weapon one size category smaller one handed. So you can do it already (with caveats) by giving up damage. Giving up a feat to do it sounds fine to me.

ExLibrisMortis
2018-11-25, 08:21 PM
How gamebreaking would it be to just transfer the ability Phalanx Fighting over from pathfinder as a feat?
Not game-breaking at all.

An easy way to wield a shield and a polearm together is to get an extra pair of arms. You can even get double Strength modifier on your spear attacks by using three hands to wield it (the fourth hand being for your shield). There's the Obah-blessed template for +2 and +4 arms, and the thri-kreen base race with 4 arms, as well as the girallon's blessing spell for +2 arms.

FlokiTrainer
2018-11-25, 08:24 PM
Pretty much, you may want to be a Goliath so you can wield a Large one to get that extra bit of damage. Not that being a Goliath is much of a sacrifice.

I was already looking at the Goliath or the Half-Giant. I didn't realize I could use large weapons with them (or at least the goliath if that's the only one that can).

It really wouldnt. IIRC there's an optional rule where you can use a weapon one size category smaller one handed. So you can do it already (with caveats) by giving up damage. Giving up a feat to do it sounds fine to me.

Thanks I may just talk to my DM about doing that. He's usually pretty open to house rules within reason.

jdizzlean
2018-11-25, 08:34 PM
the problem w/ phalanx in 3.5 is it really takes a few of your team mates also doing it for you to be effective.

if you want to go over the top w/ shields, look at this e6 build and go from there:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23126100&postcount=58

Blackhawk748
2018-11-25, 08:34 PM
I was already looking at the Goliath or the Half-Giant. I didn't realize I could use large weapons with them (or at least the goliath if that's the only one that can).

They both can as they have Powerful Build, which is one of the things it does.

Thanks I may just talk to my DM about doing that. He's usually pretty open to house rules within reason.

Its not an unreasonable request and its a combat form that is sorely neglected.

FlokiTrainer
2018-11-25, 08:42 PM
They both can as they have Powerful Build, which is one of the things it does.

Yeah, I just read over it again... I even asked my DM about the first part of that ability (the part with taking the size bonus for combat maneuvers). I just completely read over it lol. Thanks for all your help. This was enlightening.

Battleship789
2018-11-25, 09:08 PM
For spear + shield, you could ask your DM about the Pikeman's Training (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/path-of-war/feats/pikemans-training-combat/) feat from DSP (3rd party Pathfinder.) It's basically the same as Phalanx Fighting, but in feat form. Might be easier to get approved than converting the class feature.

FlokiTrainer
2018-11-25, 11:39 PM
Perfect. Thank you. That actually allows me to get it a level early too.

Particle_Man
2018-11-26, 12:51 AM
If you like tripping you might want to look at the Horizon Walker trip build and see if it has stuff you like:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?80415-The-Horizon-Tripper-(Core-Melee-Build)