PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Achieving Immortality

Lspaceship
2018-11-25, 03:48 PM
Hello there!

So, I'm wanting my character to eventually become immortal in my Pathfinder group, but the effort put in to become a Lich, or go up the Mythic scale of power seems to be a bit too much. The GM is a good fellow, and I want to surprise him with some of these options. Any suggestions from you good folks here?

Thanks in advance!

BWR
2018-11-25, 04:38 PM
So you're looking for immortality but don't want to work for it?

The Sphere of Matter used the Path of Polymath. The Quest and Task were combine into living multiple lives, once for each Fighter, Magic-user, Cleric, and Thief. At the beginning of each life after the first the sponsor erases the candidate's memories and he starts anew at level 1. For the Testimonial the Polymath must erect a monument of at least 100 feet in height that must stand for 10 years showing the glory of his experience. For the Trial the Polymath is once again reduced reduced to level 1, but retains all the classes he previously experienced and must advance to 12th level (out of 36) entirely on his own.

The Sphere of Energy used the Path of the Paragon. The Quest is simply retrieving a powerful artifact belonging to the sphere. The Trial is the construction of an entirely new magic item, this item must be an item of great power, mere trinkets will not suffice. The Testimonial of the Paragon is he must train six apprentices to 12th level and must transform the land within 100 miles of his home in a distinct way. The Task of a Paragon is he must be acknowledged as the most powerful member his class within a 1000 mile radius of his home.

The Sphere of Time used the Path of the Dynast. The Quest Dynasts must complete is finding an artifact that allows him to travel time. The Testimonial of the Dynast is founding a dominion of at least 50,000 people and designing and building a capital for that kingdom. The Task of the Dynast is found his dynasty, he or his heirs must rule for at least 20 years of the character's life, at the end of the 20 year period he must have a grandchild in place to be his heir. The Dynast's Trial is using the artifact he quested for to travel to the future and help three of his descendant's retain their kingdom and protect the dynast.

The Sphere of Thought used the Path of the Epic Hero. An Epic Hero must quest for a major artifact belonging to the Sphere of Thought. His Trial is to bring about the permanent destruction of an Artifact belonging to the Sphere of Entropy. His Testimony is to find and train a worthy successor, who must continue the Hero's legacy, the Epic Hero must also forge a legendary weapon. The Task of an Epic Hero is must live up to the ideals of heroic courage, steadfastness, and dedication. He must also complete an epic quest to complete an "impossible" task.

There are some classes which grant you 'immortality' which is not true immortality, like the Wizard discovery which you can take at 20th level which just stops you aging. Or I suppose you could just track down a vampire or wraith or something and have it drain you.

Lspaceship
2018-11-25, 04:49 PM
So you're looking for immortality but don't want to work for it?

The Sphere of Matter used the Path of Polymath. The Quest and Task were combine into living multiple lives, once for each Fighter, Magic-user, Cleric, and Thief. At the beginning of each life after the first the sponsor erases the candidate's memories and he starts anew at level 1. For the Testimonial the Polymath must erect a monument of at least 100 feet in height that must stand for 10 years showing the glory of his experience. For the Trial the Polymath is once again reduced reduced to level 1, but retains all the classes he previously experienced and must advance to 12th level (out of 36) entirely on his own.

The Sphere of Energy used the Path of the Paragon. The Quest is simply retrieving a powerful artifact belonging to the sphere. The Trial is the construction of an entirely new magic item, this item must be an item of great power, mere trinkets will not suffice. The Testimonial of the Paragon is he must train six apprentices to 12th level and must transform the land within 100 miles of his home in a distinct way. The Task of a Paragon is he must be acknowledged as the most powerful member his class within a 1000 mile radius of his home.

The Sphere of Time used the Path of the Dynast. The Quest Dynasts must complete is finding an artifact that allows him to travel time. The Testimonial of the Dynast is founding a dominion of at least 50,000 people and designing and building a capital for that kingdom. The Task of the Dynast is found his dynasty, he or his heirs must rule for at least 20 years of the character's life, at the end of the 20 year period he must have a grandchild in place to be his heir. The Dynast's Trial is using the artifact he quested for to travel to the future and help three of his descendant's retain their kingdom and protect the dynast.

The Sphere of Thought used the Path of the Epic Hero. An Epic Hero must quest for a major artifact belonging to the Sphere of Thought. His Trial is to bring about the permanent destruction of an Artifact belonging to the Sphere of Entropy. His Testimony is to find and train a worthy successor, who must continue the Hero's legacy, the Epic Hero must also forge a legendary weapon. The Task of an Epic Hero is must live up to the ideals of heroic courage, steadfastness, and dedication. He must also complete an epic quest to complete an "impossible" task.

There are some classes which grant you 'immortality' which is not true immortality, like the Wizard discovery which you can take at 20th level which just stops you aging. Or I suppose you could just track down a vampire or wraith or something and have it drain you.

It's not me 'not working for it', more that becoming a lich and going up Mythic would be a bit unfeasable due to the campaign I'm in. There just isn't enough to justify a Mythic achievment according to DM, and the hassle of being a Lich seems to be more effort than it's worth. But I'll look into these spheres, and I honestly did not know about becoming a wraith.

Anymage
2018-11-25, 06:49 PM
Those spheres are for BECMI, so not really relevant to PF.

Knowing your character's power level, how high you expect the campaign to go, and your character's goals and outlooks would also be useful. If you're high enough level to be a useful pawn you could always ask a vampire to turn you, but that has drawbacks of its own. You could go the King Arthur route and be sealed away (probably with Flesh to Stone or some other magical effect) to return when the land is at its greatest need. If you want to have a normal life without aging, though, it'd really help to know what tools you can bring to bear.

paddyfool
2018-11-25, 06:58 PM
Does your setting have Elans or Necropolitans? If so, it might be possible to become immortal by dint of researching the proper rituals... albeit with certain drawbacks in either case.

Also, this thread has some more options: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?376845-So-far-what-ways-are-there-to-become-immortal

King of Nowhere
2018-11-25, 08:27 PM
talk with your master first; this is one of the major cases where setting trumps RAW. There are many spells that have immortality as an accidental side effect that the creators didn't account for, but most DM will houserule out those uses on the principle that "if it was so easy, there would be plenty of immortals around".
Also, if your quest objective is immortality, then handing it on a silver plate doesn't make for a most compelling story. Make the character sweat a bit for it.

Koo Rehtorb
2018-11-25, 09:23 PM
You could try being really famous.

Andor13
2018-11-26, 09:41 AM
The Rajah class gets an "Earthbound Immortal" capstone which is pretty close to immortality if you have friends/followers. (You stop aging and you auto-res at sunrise if someone places your body under the open sky.)

Of course, that's a 3rd party class.

LibraryOgre
2018-11-27, 11:26 AM
Traditional: Vampirism. Maybe join a mummy cult, which is a really awesome idea I just came up with?

Like, forget about vampirism. You have a mummy who wants to make other people mummies. So, you have them found a cult. Biggest donors get made mummies first, but then have to pay back the entire cost of the procedure in cash or service (so the cult makes money over time). I mean, sure, you're shrunken and horrid looking, but you live forever, so you have time to pay the cult back. What's he using these mummies for?