PDA

View Full Version : Do you (or does your DM) bother with spell components?

The Aboleth
2018-11-25, 04:33 PM
Hey, everyone!

When I began seriously DMing for a brand new group of D&D players earlier this year, I made the decision to limit as much "book-keeping" as possible for simplicity's sake. This meant that, outside of very specific and powerful spells (like Resurrection), I don't require my characters to track their spell components. It is assumed that they have the necessary components to cast their spells, and this system has worked out pretty well for us.

I also do not track whether a spell is verbal, somatic, etc unless there is a very specific situation that calls for it (like trying to secretly cast a spell so others won't notice, for example), for similar reasons. That will likely be seen as a bigger controversial decision by the more seasoned DMs here, but it works for our group and so far everyone is having fun.

In your games, do you worry about spell components or do you adopt a similar system to the one I outlined above? I'm curious how other DMs run their games, and am always looking for feedback and new ideas.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

ChildofLuthic
2018-11-25, 04:46 PM
The component bag is supposed to have everything. In general, as a rule of thumb, you can ignore most of those things until they come up. I don't think anyone does differently.

Kalashak
2018-11-25, 05:01 PM
I don't really ignore them, but with arcane focuses and the component pouch they rarely come up. I have a list of ones with components they won't cover but most of those are easy enough to find, so if someone tries to cast and they don't have the required component I'll just let them cross out an amount of gold equal to its value. I think when someone wanted to cast Chromatic Orb in the first session when they didn't have 50 gold is the only time it's mattered.
I'm not particularly fiddly with V/S either but it comes up a little more often.

Vekon
2018-11-25, 05:27 PM
Keeping trash of non-consumed components or components without a cost is basically unnecessary.

Some people, from what I've seen, use it as a role playing tool. An odd wizard with questionable charisma shoving random objects he finds into his pockets and picking up bat poo, for example. Personally, I sometimes incorporate the spells components into what I describe my character doing during the casting of a spell. It varies greatly and I play a lot of wizards.

As a DM, I don't expect my players to keep track of anything that doesn't have a cost or isn't consumed.

Edenbeast
2018-11-25, 05:41 PM
I prefer to avoid overly complex bookkeeping. As mentioned by others the component pouch is supposed to hold (most) material components. And then there is the focus. I do like to enforce some limitations that I think make it a bit tougher for spell casters. For examples components with a price tag, the caster has to buy these components. No diamond of 1000 gp at hand, then no resurrection. I don't like the thought of simply converting 1000 gp to diamond to allow the spell. There are just a few of these spells, so when players add these to their spell book they know what they're up to. It adds a little to roleplaying nosing through the markets in order find precious spell components. Vocal/somatic mostly matter when they come up. Vocal is an issue in a zone of silence for example. Or when an enemy spell caster can potentially recognise the player's spell.

Then there is a few spells that mention a specific component, like banishment. You have to have something that is distasteful to the target. Banishment is an annoying spell. I don't know if you had the players use it yet, but what I always do is ask for a knowledge check, does the character actually know what is specifically distasteful...

Tawmis
2018-11-25, 05:57 PM
Hey, everyone!
When I began seriously DMing for a brand new group of D&D players earlier this year, I made the decision to limit as much "book-keeping" as possible for simplicity's sake. This meant that, outside of very specific and powerful spells (like Resurrection), I don't require my characters to track their spell components. It is assumed that they have the necessary components to cast their spells, and this system has worked out pretty well for us.

I also do not track whether a spell is verbal, somatic, etc unless there is a very specific situation that calls for it (like trying to secretly cast a spell so others won't notice, for example), for similar reasons. That will likely be seen as a bigger controversial decision by the more seasoned DMs here, but it works for our group and so far everyone is having fun.

In your games, do you worry about spell components or do you adopt a similar system to the one I outlined above? I'm curious how other DMs run their games, and am always looking for feedback and new ideas.

I do not track components, because there's no listing anywhere of all the various stuff needed. I just have the spellcaster keep track of how many spells they cast, and when they reach a city/town/etc - I say, "You will need to replenish your spell components. It's about 3gp." (Or whatever, depending on how many spells they have cast).

I do however, keep track if a spell is verbal, somatic, etc - because a gagged character might not be able to cast a verbal spell - but a spell that only requires motion, I might have them do at disadvantage if they're tied up and can move their hands.

Laserlight
2018-11-25, 07:08 PM
The only components we've ever paid attention to are the diamonds for Revivify and Resurrection. Otherwise...is the DM going to prevent you from casting a spell you know? No. Does the bookkeeping add any fun? No. So why bother? The only time when I would make it matter is if the party gets captured and stripped of equipment.

The only time we pay attention to whether a spell's components are VSM is when there's a Silence around.

Trustypeaches
2018-11-25, 08:04 PM
I only bother with spell components if there is an associated GP cost.

Even then I don’t require the player to find that specific component to perform the spell, just spend the indicated gold on whatever they feel is thematically appropiate.

terodil
2018-11-26, 06:21 AM
is the DM going to prevent you from casting a spell you know?
You bet. I also ban any PHB/XGtE/... and hand-written spell lists. If my players don't know the exact material requirements of the spell they want to cast, they don't deserve to cast.

In all seriousness though, I recently asked something closely related in this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?572228-Do-you-RP-spell-components-and-if-so-how) -- the answers might be worth a read. TBH I'm not overly fond of how the component system is designed. It definitely has some weird stuff going on, my favourite is a cleric with her holy symbol emblazoned on her shield being able to cast spells that have a material AND a somatic component with no free hand (because shield = holy symbol), but being unable to cast somatic-only spells without stowing her weapon first.

Anonymouswizard
2018-11-26, 06:58 AM
RAW there's no need to track nonexpensive Material components if you have a focus or a component pouch.

I also was certain there was a note that if you wanted to simplify you should assume all spells have Verbal and Somatic components, but I was mistaken. Such a rule would hinder Clerics, combat-focused Bards, melee-focused Rangers, and Paladins most of all, with Sorcerers, Warlocks, and Wizards mainly unaffected, so think carefully before using it or allow some way around it for weapon+shield or two-weapon users.

As for removing expensive material components, bare in mind that it enhances the strength of the spell if such components are consumed by the spell (less so if they're not consumed). While I've never actually seen a GM require them I've only played at low levels and most GMs IME don't want to cut off access to Identify.

darknite
2018-11-26, 08:01 AM
As a DM I expect components to be used, especially consumable, pricey ones.

mephnick
2018-11-26, 08:03 AM
I require expensive components (usually I'll tell the players anything 50g+ or something) to be purchased before they're needed. It's the players' jobs to know their abilities, including the drawbacks. If you don't have a diamond, your Fighter stays dead. No crossing off gold when you need it.

Even I'm not going to make a character track down feathers and bat guano though..

HappyDaze
2018-11-26, 08:51 AM
I've actually found V/S spells without M to be the touchy one, at least for clerics that want to go weapon & shield without War Caster.

kamap
2018-11-26, 09:13 AM
At our table its presumed that if you have a spell component pouch you restash it with things you find and is incorporated into the downtime costs.
Any other focus takes care of all the small things and everything with a stated cost is needed and might even need a shopping trip in the nearest town.

Though it was fun to have been robbed of every focus and finding components while escaping before we got our gear back.

nickl_2000
2018-11-26, 09:15 AM
Only ones that have a material cost listed in the spells. You have to have mentioned that you bought that. Anything else, we don't really worry about (unless a component pouch/focus is stolen due to plot reasons).

Demonslayer666
2018-11-26, 10:47 AM
Hey, everyone!

Spell component pouches do not list out their contents and are not meant to be tracked. In my 40+ years of gaming, I have not encountered anyone anywhere that does.

As a player, I always have a component pouch and a focus. DMs love to take away my focus, so it has just become standard practice unfortunately. I always make sure my casters buy the required material components that are not covered by the pouch and focus. I always adhere to VSM spell requirements.

As a DM, I do require components be on hand when casting, and follow the VS components as well - you have to be able to talk and have a hand free. You have to have a focus or pouch, and any specific component with a gp value. I do not strictly track individual purchases and uses, the players track that - just like potions and scrolls.

Sahe
2018-11-26, 11:40 AM
So, I currently play 3 Spellcasters, one is a Storm Giant cursed by a god to live as a "human". She's a sorcerer and likes to punch things and throw lightning around. Haven't played her that much and not much tracking of spell components has happened, because it hasn't come up yet.

The other one is a Half-Vampiric Blood Mage (Homebrew Wizard Stuff) in a Curse of Strahd game. Her arcane focus is blood and I agreed with the GM that I can pay for Spell Components in Blood. 1 HP per 10 Gold, or 1 HP if the component is consumed but no price listed. So far it has only come up when re-summoning my familiar (a bat). It's great fun to fluff her abilities as her drawing out her own blood and stuff and describing how it looks and all.

Then lastly there is Nix...an orphan and thief who stole a spellbook and other magical scriptures. I randomly roll for the spells she learns on level up and she doesn't have an arcane focus, but a component pouch. However it's not the one from the PHB, because I track spell components in detail and it's fun how she finds unconventional spell components. If she needs water for her Ice Knife other wizards may carry a crystal flask filled with the water from a mystical well or something like that. Nix just spits in her hand. The alcohol for Flase Life she collected from backwash in a tavern. And so on. She's currently trying to figure out where to find Gum Arabic for her Invisibility spell.

JackPhoenix
2018-11-26, 12:16 PM
I don't force my players to track non-costly components, but I expect them to have focus or component pouch. They have to buy costly components up-front, no deducting gold on the spot, and sometimes they find things that could be used as components amongst the loot, either gems, or in spellcasters' belongings. I'm strict on the S/M components, they do need to have free hand to cast those spells, though it's handwaved somewhat... if the paladin needs to cast S (but not SM, she's got holy symbol on her shield), it is generally assumed she puts her spear down and grabs it again afterwards. Not a problem, but I warn the player if he tries to do other object interaction in the same turn.

I track even non-costly components on my own characters, even with component pouches and foci, and often keep loose stuff useful for spellcasting on their person. I also tend to assume many non-costly components get "consumed" in the spellcasting, even if the rules don't say so... like actually throwing the sand or rose petals for Sleep in the target direction.

Pex
2018-11-26, 01:00 PM
Only as much as warriors using whetstones to keep their blades sharpened and hammers to knock out dents in armor and shields.

More seriously, while technically part of the game minutiae detail isn't necessary. For that one adventure where PCs are separated from their stuff keeping track is part of the whole point so ok. Components of significant cost are in general noted, such as 300 gp life insurance diamonds for Revivify.

Don't sweat the small stuff. Note the big stuff. Play on.