PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A if your player is A lycanthope do they get immunity to non-magic attacks

Orang3villain43
2018-11-25, 05:36 PM
I'm playing in a Home game soon and I asked my dm if I could be a weretiger and he said yes. what bonus' do I get. I know I get the trasformation and stuff but do I get the immunities as well because that realy over powered for a group of 5th lvl adventurers

JNAProductions
2018-11-25, 05:37 PM
Yeah... If the game hasn't happened yet, I would HIGHLY advise either asking for clarification or just not doing this.

A Weretiger has so many advantages (including, yes, immunity to non-magical, non-silvered weapons) that you'd almost certainly overshadow your fellow party members.

GreyBlack
2018-11-25, 05:42 PM
So. Lycanthropes are not a playable race at baseline, so any of this is going to have to be HEAVILY homebrewed. The only advice you can get is "ask your DM."

Unoriginal
2018-11-25, 06:42 PM
I'm playing in a Home game soon and I asked my dm if I could be a weretiger and he said yes. what bonus' do I get. I know I get the trasformation and stuff but do I get the immunities as well because that realy over powered for a group of 5th lvl adventurers

Lycanthropes aren't a player option for a reason. It's this one.

Only your DM can tell you what you get. If you're an actual Weretiger like in the MM, yeah, you get all those immunities and other perks.

If you want a tiger character, maybe try out the Tabaxi?

Sigreid
2018-11-25, 06:49 PM
1. Yes, the character would get the immunity and such.
2. I'd have to assume that if the DM was going to allow this they will have a plan for how to make the world dangerous for you.

Aett_Thorn
2018-11-25, 08:30 PM
Given all of the balance issues with being a true Weretiger, you might consider going with a Shifter, and be the descendant of a Weretiger. You’d get some traits, but nothing imbalancing.

dejarnjc
2018-11-25, 10:29 PM
Play as a longtooth shifter totem barbarian and fluff all of your barbarian features to be Lycanthrope features.

Rage = lycan hybrid mode.
Barbarian resistance to damage = a lycan's immunity to normal weapons
Wolf/Tiger totem features match up really well.

Perfectly balanced.

Trustypeaches
2018-11-25, 11:19 PM
Doesn’t Curse of Strahd have some rules for player Lycanthropes?

Gastronomie
2018-11-25, 11:28 PM
I've mentioned this in a previous thread, but if I were to allow a lycanthrope in my games, I would make the curse a Magic Item you are attuned to.

Shift into lycanthrope mode once per long rest, get better attacks and immunity to non-silver, non-magic weapons. Shift back after one minute or something.

During normal-mode, he gets damaged by normal weapons like any other character. This is because I assume that if you're capable of using a lycanthrope as a PC, that means he's not taken over by the curse, but that also probably means he's put some sort of restriction on his powers to keep it in check.

However, this is just the way I would do it. "Ask your DM" is the best answer we can give at the moment.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-11-26, 10:47 AM
Doesn’t Curse of Strahd have some rules for player Lycanthropes?
Unfortunately not so much; it directs you to the monster manual, and just adds the wereraven-specific details for ability scores and natural weapons.

JellyPooga
2018-11-26, 11:16 AM
Yeah... If the game hasn't happened yet, I would HIGHLY advise either asking for clarification or just not doing this.

A Weretiger has so many advantages (including, yes, immunity to non-magical, non-silvered weapons) that you'd almost certainly overshadow your fellow party members.

It's worth pointing out that while this sentiment is largely true (i.e. that you'll overshadow your companions in combat...to an extent; you won't be doing a Cleric or Wizards job as a Fighter or Barbarian, even if you are invulnerable), this is not necessarily a negative thing. One powerful member of the group makes the group stronger, not just that individual.

Unoriginal
2018-11-26, 11:31 AM
It's worth pointing out that while this sentiment is largely true (i.e. that you'll overshadow your companions in combat...to an extent; you won't be doing a Cleric or Wizards job as a Fighter or Barbarian, even if you are invulnerable), this is not necessarily a negative thing. One powerful member of the group makes the group stronger, not just that individual.

Doesn't mean that the other players should be happy about it. Unless you're deliberately going for that kind of experience, no one like being told "alright, you all play Commoners, except Jim here who's a Paladin in plate armor", even if objectively speaking the group is stronger with the Paladin in it.

darknite
2018-11-26, 11:34 AM
If I were DM I'd allow it but also allow the other players to collect xp for killing a weretiger.

DarkKnightJin
2018-11-26, 04:45 PM
As a player, I'd be thrilled to have the stat adjustment the MM suggests(most of which aren't super great, so no real worries there), the ability to turn into a wolf/bear/tiger like a one-form Druid or something, and the badass flavor of a hybrid form with claws and/or bite options in addition to the weapons you carry.

And personally, I wouldn't even mind not getting any resistance or immunity to non-silvered, non-magical weapons. The flavor would be amazing, and I'd be ecstatic getting to play a 'werebeast'. Even if it'd mechanically be not even half as tanky as a Barbarian. If I want to play a Barbarian for that sorta thing.. I'd roll up a Barbarian for that sorta thing.

Angelalex242
2018-11-26, 05:04 PM
If you're talking about AL, the answer is 'can't be done, and you'd better fix it before the end of the adventure, or your character is instantly retired forever.'

No brains
2018-11-26, 05:59 PM
Just MC into an underwhelming class for a few levels and it should balance out. Take wizard and forget your spellbook. :smalltongue:

GreyBlack
2018-11-27, 12:52 AM
Just MC into an underwhelming class for a few levels and it should balance out. Take wizard and forget your spellbook. :smalltongue:

See, it's times like this that I really wish there were NPC classes like the Commoner or Aristocrat.

BloodSnake'sCha
2018-11-27, 01:14 AM
If you want to make it in my game I will make it cost levels(I will give you HD and prop bonus for them).

It will make me time to choose how much it should cost you and I may even give you the ability to switch them for class levels at some points base on the party power level.

You should ask your DM if he allow you to do it.

If your DM is the kind that will let you use something only when you made the work for balancing it I recommend my method.

JellyPooga
2018-11-27, 04:28 AM
Doesn't mean that the other players should be happy about it. Unless you're deliberately going for that kind of experience, no one like being told "alright, you all play Commoners, except Jim here who's a Paladin in plate armor", even if objectively speaking the group is stronger with the Paladin in it.

The other player don't have to be happy about it, no, but it's by no means true that they must be unhappy about it. We're not talking about a Paladin and his merry serfs; this is a team of pro adventurers. A lycanthrope of any stripe is probably best suited as some kind of front-line character. That means the rest of the team don't have to worry about their beefy tanky guy getting punked by some low-life goblin or orc, allowing them to do their job better. The Cleric isn't wasting slots on heals, the Rogue always has a friend to trigger Sneak Attack, the Wizard always has someone to buff, etc. Alternatively, if the lycanthrope isn't a front-liner, imagine a Wizard that doesn't have to worry about low AC and HP any more; Cleric isn't burning heals to keep the party artillery on his feet, the Barbarian can concentrate on getting all up in the bad-guys face without having to keep an eye out for his squishy friend, etc.

Yes, a lycanthrope is powerful, but while the difference between one and a non-lycanthrope is significant, it's not so significant that it'll unbalance the party to the point where it becomes a "this one dude and his buds" story, considering party roles, etc and especially considering any roleplaying consequences (of which there probably should be some...common folk are generally fearful of things like monsters in their midst).

Besides, if it all starts going pear shaped and Mr.Lycanthrope starts getting too big for his boots, the other players can always just ask to get bit...

GreyBlack
2018-11-27, 08:30 AM
Not gonna lie. The way I would run it in my game?

I would let you have all of the benefits from being a lycanthrope. However, the second you transform into one of your alternate forms, you lose control of your character and default to the alignment/behavior of this alternate form. This could include:
Killing enemies.
Killing friends.
Eating people.
Property damage.
Destroying the Macguffin you're here to retrieve.
Running off into the wilderness.
Destroying a village.

And other such things. Because, if I allowed this to happen, I would make sure you knew that this was going to be a key element or side quest to get rid of the curse. Because that's what lycanthropy is: a curse that your character shouldn't want.

Sigreid
2018-11-27, 08:33 AM
Not gonna lie. The way I would run it in my game?

I would let you have all of the benefits from being a lycanthrope. However, the second you transform into one of your alternate forms, you lose control of your character and default to the alignment/behavior of this alternate form. This could include:
Killing enemies.
Killing friends.
Eating people.
Property damage.
Destroying the Macguffin you're here to retrieve.
Running off into the wilderness.
Destroying a village.

And other such things. Because, if I allowed this to happen, I would make sure you knew that this was going to be a key element or side quest to get rid of the curse. Because that's what lycanthropy is: a curse that your character shouldn't want.

One of the things I find disappointing with 5e is how easy it is to remove lycanthropy.

dejarnjc
2018-11-27, 08:51 AM
One of the things I find disappointing with 5e is how easy it is to remove lycanthropy.

Most curses, poisons, diseases etc. are ridiculously simple to overcome from a pretty low level.

AHF
2018-11-27, 10:46 AM
Given all of the balance issues with being a true Weretiger, you might consider going with a Shifter, and be the descendant of a Weretiger. You’d get some traits, but nothing imbalancing.

This is the best advice on the thread. Do a variation on this theme that doesn't include the balance issues that a lycanthrope does.

GlenSmash!
2018-11-27, 01:21 PM
I think the Shifter is a great way to get this flavor though it is UA

Refluffing a Tiger Totem Barbarian is another. (I once refluffed a Goliath Bear totem Barb as a Werebear and it worked great)

The Order of the Lycan Bloodhunter is another though it is 3rd party.

I think all of those options are more balanced than being a Player with the MM Weretiger traits.

Wildarm
2018-11-27, 01:32 PM
It'll be up to the DM. If it was my campaign I'd maybe allow it but with the rule that when you shapeshift you could lose control of your character and risk it being a permanent thing as the beast corrupts your mind. Play it like the hulk, a powerful beast inside you that could break out if you don't keep control. I'd remove the resistances from the hybrid form for balance. Probably not allow you to transmit lycanthropy either.

So, cool power to bust out at a critical moment. When the dust settles you better make that Wis save to return to normal form. Perhaps at advantage if you have a trusted friend to help snap you out of it. Disadvantage if you're right in the middle of killing something or very hurt. Fail and you may run off in the woods for a bit till you satisfy those beast urges with far reaching consequences if you happen to hunt something sentient. Fail badly enough(Nat 1) and you don't return. Roll up a new character.

Willie the Duck
2018-11-27, 01:45 PM
If you're talking about AL, the answer is 'can't be done, and you'd better fix it before the end of the adventure, or your character is instantly retired forever.'

I will point you to:

I'm playing in a Home game soon and I asked my dm if I could be a weretiger and he said yes.

To the rest of us I will focus upon:

I know I get the trasformation and stuff but do I get the immunities as well because that realy over powered for a group of 5th lvl adventurers

So, yes, the OP knows that a full-on weretiger is overpowered compared to the rest of the party, and wants to know how it is handled. As others have said, there aren't codified rules for this situation. The DM will have to make a call. I agree with others that finding something else similar in theme--but without all of the lycanthropic powers--would be best. Even in editions where you could pay a level cost or xp multiplier, monsters as powerful as lycanthropes are very hard to balance. Particularly the immunities, since they are perfect immunity (meaning you have to pay through the nose to get it, assuming the cost is balanced) right up until you come across something that can breach it, whereupon it is useless, and you are sitting with no defense and a very weak creature. It's pretty much total immunity... immunity... immunity...instant death. That's really not fun for anyone involved.

Ganymede
2018-11-27, 02:08 PM
While running Curse of Strahd, one of my players really wanted to be a were raven. All of the Martikovs adamantly refused to do so. By the end of the adventure, I had the loose cannon Urwin Martikov convert her.

To keep it balanced, I gave her nerfed powers: resistance instead of immunity, a slower flight speed, and no ability to turn into a straight raven or pass on the virus. She was basically a quasi lycanthrope.

SociopathFriend
2018-11-28, 01:22 AM
Your DM basically has the final say but of the two times I was afflicted- both times the following occurred:
1) I grew sick over several days prior to the full moon.
2) When I turned initially I had zero control and would maul to death everything I came across. This happened three days in a row.
3) After taking innocent lives I could have the choice of embracing the curse or resisting it. Resisting it meant never having control over the alternate forms. Embracing meant I did.
4) All mundane, non-silvered weapons used against me straight-up broke on contact.

It's a rather big thing at lower-tiers where mundane weapons are common so you very much can become a one-man wrecking crew. When I was Wereboared I basically took down an entire temple of people because nobody could use magic and nothing they had would do any damage to me- women and children were included in the slaughter. Needless to say as a Good-Aligned character- this realization did not go over well.

He let me have the advantages but he absolutely made the cost of it plain- people died and you were not in control during the full moon. For one-shots this might not be a big deal- for extended campaigns it very much could be. Especially if your DM is the sort to have enemies intelligently plan around your powers.

wilhelmdubdub
2018-11-28, 01:45 AM
maybe bloodhunter order of the lycan

Wilko
2018-11-28, 03:51 AM
maybe bloodhunter order of the lycan

Beat Me to it,

This (https://www.dndbeyond.com/characters/classes/blood-hunter#OrderoftheLycan) is the where i would go for letting a player be a lycanthrope. Less powerful than the MM version in some ways but better in others and you should be fairly balanced with the rest of the party...