PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a first time druid?

sikyon
2007-09-20, 04:42 PM
Hi guys,

I've never played druid before and I was looking for some advice on it. Starting at level six. Umm.. things like good spells, good companions and good wildshapes.

Thanks!

bignate
2007-09-20, 04:45 PM
natural spell....

Reinboom
2007-09-20, 04:46 PM
What books do you have access to?

kamikasei
2007-09-20, 04:49 PM
The Druid's Handbook (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?p=10552967#post10552967).

Depending on the type of the campaign, if you can afford to spend a lot of your time in Wildshape (that is, if you don't have to deal extensively with NPCs who would be put off by it or the like), you can afford to dump Strength and Dexterity, take Natural Spell, and just cast as a wildshaped animal. Remember that you need your own Constitution score to be decent, though.

You have a host of self-buffs which can also be cast on your companion (some with just one casting) that will make you into a melee super-team.

edit: And of course, remember that you can spontaneously cast your Summon Nature's Ally spells, so it's a waste of a slot to prepare them in advance.

dyslexicfaser
2007-09-20, 04:51 PM
The Druid's Handbook (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=465005) has lots of good info.

Natural Spell is a cheesy - yet awesome - feat. Probably the best druid feat ever.

For Wildshaping, dinosaurs are usually best, but if you don't like them, try a black bear (they're fairly mighty) or a wolf (who can trip on an attack).

Zincorium
2007-09-20, 04:52 PM
As far as shapes go, go through the MM and look at the biggest, meanest animals in your designated range (size and HD). Dire animals are always good, dinosaurs can be good but they're kind of a stretch :smallwink: . Of course, if you're in eberron they're a good set of wildshapes for halflings.

As for spells, I know there are some really good druid ones in the spell compendium but I haven't looked too much into it. Considering you know them all it's an addition rather than a replacement for you.

In core, call lightning is the best overall dice of damage spell you have available, but it's not fast. If you're looking at a long combat, and want to conserve your spells, it's not a bad tactic. Wind wall is good at shutting down completely any archers, but it's so situational it's better as a scroll. Magic fang is a nice way to give your animal companion or you in wildshape a +2 weapon to go destroy things with.

ocato
2007-09-20, 04:56 PM
Your animal companion is going to be your best good friend. Respect him, treat him well. I like wolves because they can trip on attack, which makes it awful hard for enemies to do things you aren't in favor of. Natural Spell is cheesey but not uncalled for. Some people actually take no-Wildshape variants and play caster style druids. This probably isn't optimum but hey, fun is fun.

Leon
2007-09-20, 05:07 PM
Explore your options and dont just fall for the "OMG im a Bear with spellcasting all day" rut that seems to happen a lot, there are lots of varied and interesting ways that the class can be played

Zherog
2007-09-20, 05:15 PM
For helping with wild shape, I had an article in Dragon 348 that took all the valid critters from the Monster Manual. It sorted animals by size, and within each size by hit dice. There was also a separate table for valid plant shapes.

For each entry, it provides the modes of movement (and each speed), the natural armor bonus, and the physical stats.

The idea of the article was very much to serve as a guide for somebody new to wild shape, to help them pick the best forms.