PDA

View Full Version : What Do U Think of This Luckstone Trade My Bard Made....

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-11-26, 03:18 AM
A traveling merchant who was interested in trading magical items came to town. He had some ring which would cast an attacking lion's head, a luck stone and a +1 poison dagger which once a day did 2D10 damage and well poisoned ppl.

Our Ranger tried unsuccessfully to trade two adamentine hammers for the ring. The merchant said no. My level 7 Lore Bard got involved trying to add on trinkets and help with persuasion rolls. The Merchant ended up trading her this Luckstone for a Potion of Superior Healing. The party Monk and another member protested loudly that I should not make the trade. rolled some perception checks and made small talk and the Merchant gave me a map also.

I'm wondering if my high Charisma Bard just didn't persuade the merchant into making a mistake. The DM and I think the +1 from the stone stacks with Jack of All Trades for Counterspell so tbis seems wonderful to me. That superior healing potion is somewhat of a running joke. Going into any serious battle my Bard says "its on my left hip if I go down" as we're short on healers.

Is there anyway this wasn't a good trade?

Think the DM is up to something? I don't have detect curse or identify.

About 10 hours of game time passed and no curses came up....

OldTrees1
2018-11-26, 03:38 AM
You gained a Luckstone and only paid/lost a potion of superior healing (3 Potions of healing in 1 action)? Poor merchant!

While the Luckstone is not a very interesting magic item because it does not change what you can do in a qualitative manner (like Slippers of Spiderclimb can for example), the Luckstone gives a nice boost to 2 areas (+1 saves AND +1 ability checks).

Someday you should return to that merchant with a gift of gold as a return on their "investment". Especially if your Bard feels guilty.

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-11-26, 08:19 AM
Thats what I was thinking. The Merchant seemed to hold the other two items in high enough regard but not the stone. I was waiting to get cursed or sumptin.

Maybe the Monk helped me out by laughing down the value of the stone.

Keravath
2018-11-26, 08:41 AM
Honestly, the DM gave it away. A one use healing potion (of any kind) vs a permanent +1 to saves and ability checks. There is no comparison. Just be happy that your DM wanted you to have it. My lore bard has one (in AL) and I think it is a great item and (until something truly amazing comes along) is very well worth the attunement slot.

P.S. The stone is arguably better than either of the other two items they had for sale ..

Unoriginal
2018-11-26, 08:57 AM
Merchants don't always know the true value of what they peddle. Or maybe people are willing to spend more on a flashy magic item that one with a small but very useful bonus.

In any case, you should have any magic item sold like that be thoroughly examined before using them. 'cause that sounds too good to be true.

JeenLeen
2018-11-26, 10:01 AM
Is there anyway this wasn't a good trade?

Think the DM is up to something? I don't have detect curse or identify.

About 10 hours of game time passed and no curses came up....

I agree with the others, that, unless it is cursed, this was an AWESOME trade.

Also, assuming combat or rolls happened when the luckstone not being a luckstone would have been noticable... I think you'll safe on curses.
Still, once you get to a town with casters for hire, hire something with Identify or Remove Curse to take a look at it. At best, you waste some gold hiring a level 1 wizard to cast Identify.

Also, for being cursed, try to put it down. If you can't, or the DM tells you you don't want to, suspect a curse. (Keep in mind that it makes sense IC to suspect a curse after a good deal, especially if one ally was cautious about the deal. However, if the DM tells you you aren't suspicious, you should roleplay accordingly. Of course, the cautious ally might try to get a caster to help next time you're in a town.)

solidork
2018-11-26, 10:06 AM
My Cleric's Luckstone was lowkey one of his best items, because it brought his Con saving throw up to +9 so he could always succeed on a DC 10 Concentration check.

MilkmanDanimal
2018-11-26, 10:07 AM
The Luckstone is a phenomenally useful item, arguably one of the singly best items within its tier. Anyone who argues otherwise in-game is probably on the side of evil, and you should stab them in their sleep.

Seriously, that's a great item, particularly for a character like a Bard who's going to do a bit of everything.

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-11-26, 10:31 PM
The Luckstone is a phenomenally useful item, arguably one of the singly best items within its tier. Anyone who argues otherwise in-game is probably on the side of evil, and you should stab them in their sleep.

Seriously, that's a great item, particularly for a character like a Bard who's going to do a bit of everything.

This thing is going to be a bit of fun. I wonder why the Monk didn't think it would be that useful.

Snowbluff
2018-11-27, 12:13 PM
Luckstones are good. Saves are good. Ability Checks are good.My druid/barb halfing wears one.

Remember that initiative is an ability check, too, as are some spells like COunterspell and Telekinesis. With Jack of all Trades and a Luckstone you're well near proficient in everything.

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-11-27, 05:33 PM
Luckstones are good. Saves are good. Ability Checks are good.My druid/barb halfing wears one.

Remember that initiative is an ability check, too, as are some spells like COunterspell and Telekinesis. With Jack of all Trades and a Luckstone you're well near proficient in everything.

Telekinesis, that's neat, haven't made it far enough to use that one. Thanks for the heads up.

Whatever spells is this going to help with?

Snowbluff
2018-11-27, 06:01 PM
Telekinesis, that's neat, haven't made it far enough to use that one. Thanks for the heads up.

Whatever spells is this going to help with?

Off the top of my head it's that and Counterspell (both are Cha ability checks).

Dispel Magic is also affected.

You can grab these spells with Magical Secrets. They're best on a bard and definitely worth it.

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-11-27, 07:11 PM
Off the top of my head it's that and Counterspell (both are Cha ability checks).

Dispel Magic is also affected.

You can grab these spells with Magical Secrets. They're best on a bard and definitely worth it.

Agreed. The way Bards get new spells I made a chart up to 17 so far planning my level ups and Dispel Magic is on there