PDA

View Full Version : Melee build for my first Adventurer's League campaign

torrmh
2018-11-26, 06:52 AM
Hey guys!

I've been reading this forum for a while and I really enjoy following the discussions on here.

The first ever Adventure League campaign in my town just started up a couple of weeks ago. The adventure is Dragon Heist, and we're planning on doing Dungeon of the Mad Mage after it. (No big spoilers please :smallsmile: )

My usual table consists of a gnome wizard, a gnome rogue and a tabaxi monk (there was also a dwarven tempest cleric in our first session, not sure if he will continue) so I figured the party would need someone to hold the line in front.

I started out as a vuman fighter with PAM, and enjoyed the bonus attack and the OA with a halberd, and was thinking about adding GWM at level 4 or 6. I got enough ACP's to level up to level 2 after last session, but I'm not sure where to go from here. If I understood the AL rules correctly, I'm also free to change my entire build up until level 5.

I do not enjoy playing a "pure tank". In other words, I like to be better at dishing out damage than receiving it, but still want to be tough enough to handle a few hits, especially considering the other players in my party. I've also read that as a pure martial character there's a chance I might be bored with some of the social stuff in Dragon Heist, and there's also no real "face" in my party either, which made me think that a Paladin could be an even better fit (especially if it's Hexblade dipped for SAD). I haven't really read anything about Dungeon of the Mad Mage yet, so I'm not sure what kind of challenges we could face there (if we survive up until that point, hehe).

I've read a lot of threads on here about Sorcadins/Padlocks and Hexblade dips etc, but I can't really decide on what's best for me and my party at this point. Paladin 6, Warlock 1 or 3 depending on fighting style and the rest in Sorcerer is probably the best I've come up with so far. Maybe a fighter with a dip could be a good option here too?

My main concerns with playing as a straight fighter is the lack of a decent ranged attack, poor social competence and less versatility. Eldritch Knight could be an option, but it pains me to let go of maneuvers if I'm playing a fighter.

A few thoughts I've made so far:
- I really like the level 6 Paladin aura, as I'm concerned about being shut down by hold person spells etc (point buy is a bitch!!!) I guess resilient WIS is also an option here.
- With PHB+1, there's no option of combining SCAG-cantrips with Hexblade, which I'm not too upset by anyway, as I'd rather use extra attack (at least I think I do, hehe :smallsmile: )
- I do not much like the idea of dumping strength (I guess 13 is the minimum here if I'm going to take levels in Paladin)
- I want to be more of a melee fighter than a caster, but there's no harm in being able to do both, and I have to admit I like the idea of being able to smite, haste myself and cast fireballs
- If I go sword and board (or spear and board after the recent errata) I need some kind of damage boost like divine/eldritch smite

Would really appreciate suggestions here :smallsmile:

PeteNutButter
2018-11-26, 09:00 AM
Paladin 6/Hexblade 1/Sorcerer x can certainly work. The key is to be SAD for charisma. I'd even suggest taking that hexblade level before level 5. That way, it doesn't hurt so bad starting with only a 15 str (for plate mail). By level 11, you'll finally max out cha.

My best character in AL is a Paladin 6/Hexblade 5/Swords Bard 5. I went for the extra hexblade levels to get eldritch smite for insane crits, and swords bard over sorcerer because the character has ridiculous AC. Sorcerer without SCAG cantrips isn't nearly as strong, especially since hexblade gives you shield spell already. Though I am missing out on Haste and Fireball.

Going your route, I'd go hard on dump stats with a variant human point buy of 15, 8, 16, 8, 8, 16. By level 7 you'll be adding +4 to every save anyways. Paladin 1 > Hexblade 1 > Paladin to 6 > Sorcerer.

Man_Over_Game
2018-11-26, 11:21 AM
A major concern about your party is the lack of any kind of healing, on top of the fact that your team has no face (in a campaign that is heavy on social interactions), and it needs a stronger front line. But in addition, you also want emphasis on damage and you enjoy using PAM.

My recommendation is going Vengeance Paladin, with a single dip into Hexblade, grabbing PAM. Vengeance has a lot of synergies with PAM, and has just enough healing to make surviving passable.

With Oath of Enmity and Hexblade's Curse, you're looking at a 19% crit chance per attack. Tack on a BA attack from PAM, and your Extra Attack from Paladin 5, and you're now looking at a 46% crit chance per turn.

Smite on, brothah.

PeteNutButter
2018-11-26, 12:14 PM
A major concern about your party is the lack of any kind of healing, on top of the fact that your team has no face (in a campaign that is heavy on social interactions), and it needs a stronger front line. But in addition, you also want emphasis on damage and you enjoy using PAM.

My recommendation is going Vengeance Paladin, with a single dip into Hexblade, grabbing PAM. Vengeance has a lot of synergies with PAM, and has just enough healing to make surviving passable.

With Oath of Enmity and Hexblade's Curse, you're looking at a 19% crit chance per attack. Tack on a BA attack from PAM, and your Extra Attack from Paladin 5, and you're now looking at a 46% crit chance per turn.

Smite on, brothah.

This is a solid suggestion. I skimmed past your appreciation of PAM. With that in mind, sorcerer isn't nearly as strong. Quicken is a big appeal to the gish sorcerer and with PAM you're competing with a free bonus action attack.

torrmh
2018-11-26, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the input guys :smallsmile:

Paladin 6/Hexblade 1/Sorcerer x can certainly work. The key is to be SAD for charisma. I'd even suggest taking that hexblade level before level 5. That way, it doesn't hurt so bad starting with only a 15 str (for plate mail). By level 11, you'll finally max out cha.

My best character in AL is a Paladin 6/Hexblade 5/Swords Bard 5. I went for the extra hexblade levels to get eldritch smite for insane crits, and swords bard over sorcerer because the character has ridiculous AC. Sorcerer without SCAG cantrips isn't nearly as strong, especially since hexblade gives you shield spell already. Though I am missing out on Haste and Fireball.

Going your route, I'd go hard on dump stats with a variant human point buy of 15, 8, 16, 8, 8, 16. By level 7 you'll be adding +4 to every save anyways. Paladin 1 > Hexblade 1 > Paladin to 6 > Sorcerer.

That build sounds like a lot of fun! I like Warlock 5 too due to the extra attack invocation and short rest 3rd level slots (although it feels kind of a waste to qualify for extra attack in two different classes somehow, but the Paladin lvl 6 ability is just too good to ignore) Too bad it's only 2 eldritch smites per short rest, but the auto prone ability seems awesome :smallcool:

Going to 8 on anything but INT really hurts too, but as you say, the aura makes up for a lot of it. Never played adventurer's league before, but is it possible to find stuff like a mithril plate to remove the STR req? Was thinking that 13 STR could be an option to get that dex and wis up a bit?

Yeah, I don't feel really comfortable without any sort of healing either. If I understand you correctly, you're recommending a single Hexblade level and go full Vengeance for the remainder? I was thinking that adding sorcerer levels would give me more utility and options, as well as more slots to smite with, but I agree that there's competition for the bonus action here (Hex/Hunter's mark could also be an option which eats into this I guess).

These crit numbers seem awesome, and could maybe be even better if I was a half-elf and took the Elven Accuracy feat at level 5 or 9 :smallcool: But I'm starved for ASI's/feats enough as it is, hehe...

What about weapon choice and fighting style? If I go spear and board hoplite style, then I can't really use the shield spell without Warcaster, but could still cast the Paladin spells correct?

It also seems to me like PAM would be a better choice than GWM, as long as I have smite (and enough spell slots to do so frequently).

Man_Over_Game
2018-11-26, 01:54 PM
Yeah, I don't feel really comfortable without any sort of healing either. If I understand you correctly, you're recommending a single Hexblade level and go full Vengeance for the remainder? I was thinking that adding sorcerer levels would give me more utility and options, as well as more slots to smite with, but I agree that there's competition for the bonus action here (Hex/Hunter's mark could also be an option which eats into this I guess).

These crit numbers seem awesome, and could maybe be even better if I was a half-elf and took the Elven Accuracy feat at level 5 or 9 :smallcool: But I'm starved for ASI's/feats enough as it is, hehe...

What about weapon choice and fighting style? If I go spear and board hoplite style, then I can't really use the shield spell without Warcaster, but could still cast the Paladin spells correct?

It also seems to me like PAM would be a better choice than GWM, as long as I have smite (and enough spell slots to do so frequently).

You're correct on my recommendation, sorry I didn't make that clearer. GWM is good for solid damage, but with this build, you don't necessarily need it with your crit chance and smites.

I find that Warlock gets some great sustainability for the Paladin, where the Sorcerer offers more utility. There's nothing stopping you from going 1 Hexblade just for SADness, then going a Paladin/Sorcerer Hybrid. The single level will put you in a really good spot, giving you the means to utilize Sorcery Points regularly to charge up your empty spell slots, or be able to spam out more Shield spells or smite abilities.

Elven Accuracy is a great choice. That bumps up your crit chance to about 27% per attack or 60% per turn.

If you are considering Sword and Board style, I wouldn't bother with Sorcerer, as it means you're heavily reliant on War Caster. If you ARE wanting Sorcerer, stick with the Glaive and rely on the Shield spell, which will save you a feat. In either scenario, I still recommend 1 level into Hexblade, which is incredibly useful with your Divine Smites.

Expected
2018-11-26, 02:52 PM
If you are considering Sword and Board style, I wouldn't bother with Sorcerer, as it means you're heavily reliant on War Caster. If you ARE wanting Sorcerer, stick with the Glaive and rely on the Shield spell, which will save you a feat. In either scenario, I still recommend 1 level into Hexblade, which is incredibly useful with your Divine Smites.

I agree with you, however, Warlock 3 is necessary for Pact of the Blade for a glaive/halberd to use Cha--which also allows triple advantage from Elven Accuracy. If you're planning on using PAM, it's feat heavy.

torrmh
2018-11-26, 02:57 PM
You're correct on my recommendation, sorry I didn't make that clearer. GWM is good for solid damage, but with this build, you don't necessarily need it with your crit chance and smites.

I find that Warlock gets some great sustainability for the Paladin, where the Sorcerer offers more utility. There's nothing stopping you from going 1 Hexblade just for SADness, then going a Paladin/Sorcerer Hybrid. The single level will put you in a really good spot, giving you the means to utilize Sorcery Points regularly to charge up your empty spell slots, or be able to spam out more Shield spells or smite abilities.

Elven Accuracy is a great choice. That bumps up your crit chance to about 27% per attack or 60% per turn.

Elven Accuracy is really tempting, but it means I won't get max cha before tier 3 if I also want PAM :( There's also the small problem that I need to go Hexblade 3 if I want to use a 2-hander with CHA, if I remember correctly? That would even further delay my ASI's, unless I decided to go to level 4 Warlock just for the ASI.

Man_Over_Game
2018-11-26, 03:04 PM
Elven Accuracy is really tempting, but it means I won't get max cha before tier 3 if I also want PAM :( There's also the small problem that I need to go Hexblade 3 if I want to use a 2-hander with CHA, if I remember correctly? That would even further delay my ASI's, unless I decided to go to level 4 Warlock just for the ASI.

4 Warlock is what I would do. You get your third cantrip and another warlock spell added at the same time.

SirGraystone
2018-11-26, 03:33 PM
If you plan to wear plate armor, you'll need 15 strenght

torrmh
2018-11-26, 03:35 PM
If you plan to wear plate armor, you'll need 15 strenght

Yeah, that's why I was wondering if it was plausible somehow to get hold of a mithril plate that can waive the STR requirement in the adventurer's league games, as it's my first time playing that and I don't know what to expect :smallbiggrin:

torrmh
2018-11-26, 03:40 PM
4 Warlock is what I would do. You get your third cantrip and another warlock spell added at the same time.

When would you take the different levels in this case? I can see a big delay on getting to that extra attack unless I went to Warlock 5 (but then there would be a big delay on the Paladin aura).

Man_Over_Game
2018-11-26, 03:44 PM
When would you take the different levels in this case? I can see a big delay on getting to that extra attack unless I went to Warlock 5 (but then there would be a big delay on the Paladin aura).

I'd go Paladin 1, Warlock 1, Paladin until Aura, then Warlock 4. You can afford to go Sword and Spear at low levels, then use Glaive later once you get 3 into Warlock. Your reach will suffer, but your survivability gets a great boon. Early on, those Divine Smites are going to do enough damage that you won't be too worried about not using the Glaive at the start.

Citan
2018-11-27, 10:18 AM
Hey guys!

I've been reading this forum for a while and I really enjoy following the discussions on here.

The first ever Adventure League campaign in my town just started up a couple of weeks ago. The adventure is Dragon Heist, and we're planning on doing Dungeon of the Mad Mage after it. (No big spoilers please :smallsmile: )

My usual table consists of a gnome wizard, a gnome rogue and a tabaxi monk (there was also a dwarven tempest cleric in our first session, not sure if he will continue) so I figured the party would need someone to hold the line in front.

I started out as a vuman fighter with PAM, and enjoyed the bonus attack and the OA with a halberd, and was thinking about adding GWM at level 4 or 6. I got enough ACP's to level up to level 2 after last session, but I'm not sure where to go from here. If I understood the AL rules correctly, I'm also free to change my entire build up until level 5.

I do not enjoy playing a "pure tank". In other words, I like to be better at dishing out damage than receiving it, but still want to be tough enough to handle a few hits, especially considering the other players in my party. I've also read that as a pure martial character there's a chance I might be bored with some of the social stuff in Dragon Heist, and there's also no real "face" in my party either, which made me think that a Paladin could be an even better fit (especially if it's Hexblade dipped for SAD). I haven't really read anything about Dungeon of the Mad Mage yet, so I'm not sure what kind of challenges we could face there (if we survive up until that point, hehe).

I've read a lot of threads on here about Sorcadins/Padlocks and Hexblade dips etc, but I can't really decide on what's best for me and my party at this point. Paladin 6, Warlock 1 or 3 depending on fighting style and the rest in Sorcerer is probably the best I've come up with so far. Maybe a fighter with a dip could be a good option here too?

My main concerns with playing as a straight fighter is the lack of a decent ranged attack, poor social competence and less versatility. Eldritch Knight could be an option, but it pains me to let go of maneuvers if I'm playing a fighter.

A few thoughts I've made so far:
- I really like the level 6 Paladin aura, as I'm concerned about being shut down by hold person spells etc (point buy is a bitch!!!) I guess resilient WIS is also an option here.
- With PHB+1, there's no option of combining SCAG-cantrips with Hexblade, which I'm not too upset by anyway, as I'd rather use extra attack (at least I think I do, hehe :smallsmile: )
- I do not much like the idea of dumping strength (I guess 13 is the minimum here if I'm going to take levels in Paladin)
- I want to be more of a melee fighter than a caster, but there's no harm in being able to do both, and I have to admit I like the idea of being able to smite, haste myself and cast fireballs
- If I go sword and board (or spear and board after the recent errata) I need some kind of damage boost like divine/eldritch smite

Would really appreciate suggestions here :smallsmile:
Hi!

I'm not sure where you are in your thought process, so I'll just put suggestions in the wild, feel free to ignore them if you are already set. :)
Considering your following points:
- want to deal high damage
- want to be resilient
- want to be decent at ranged attacks
- want to be decent at skills
- worried about party lack of healing
- wants some damage boost...

You have several options.
1. Stay Fighter, dip into a caster that gets some healing spells.

2. Reroll single-class: Paladin or Ranger will be your best bets. Thief Rogue could be a decent third (versatility, face Expertise, Uncanny Dodge, Healer feat as bonus action) but there is already a Rogue in party.
- advantage Ranger: great spells (including healing and utility), great versatility (melee/ranged).
- advantage Paladin: great self-resilience (Aura), decent nova ability (saying decent because you'll have little slots for a very long time, especially if you want to keep some for healing).
Or stay Fighter but go Eldricht Knight (Shield for offense, Shadow Blade for offense buff) either DEX (Mobile, Mage Slayer, Mirror Image) or STR (Heavy Armor Master, whatever).
If your Cleric pal does not play regularly, you could also go Tempest Cleric: nova damage coming from maximized Shatter/Booming Blade (feat).

3. Reroll your character as a multiclass. Opens many options.
- STR: Battlemaster / Barbarian: just pick Healer/Inspiring Leader to help others with resilience.
- DEX: Barbarian / Thief Rogue: Sneak Attack takes care of high damage, Rogue for CHA Expertise, dip in Barbarian for extra resilience.
- DEX: Life Cleric 1 / Ranger X: you'll have enough healing for party once you get Healing Spirit, and you're otherwise a Ranger. If you feel the need for being great face, pick Rogue 1 or Prodigy feat.
- WIS: Fighter 1 / Tempest Cleric 4: always go Booming Blade.
- CHA: Hexblade Warlock 1 / Divine Soul Sorcerer X: dip for better armor, go into the frontline and hold with Spirit Guardians.
- CHA: Hexblade 1 / Whispers Bard X: you'll get pretty decent nova damage when needed, Expertise, healing, other good spells, and later Magic Secrets. You can still push Hexblade later if you really want to pick Eldricht Smite, or Devotion Paladin for incredible weapon attack reliability.

torrmh
2018-11-28, 05:05 AM
Hi!

I'm not sure where you are in your thought process, so I'll just put suggestions in the wild, feel free to ignore them if you are already set. :)
Considering your following points:
- want to deal high damage
- want to be resilient
- want to be decent at ranged attacks
- want to be decent at skills
- worried about party lack of healing
- wants some damage boost...

You have several options.
1. Stay Fighter, dip into a caster that gets some healing spells.

2. Reroll single-class: Paladin or Ranger will be your best bets. Thief Rogue could be a decent third (versatility, face Expertise, Uncanny Dodge, Healer feat as bonus action) but there is already a Rogue in party.
- advantage Ranger: great spells (including healing and utility), great versatility (melee/ranged).
- advantage Paladin: great self-resilience (Aura), decent nova ability (saying decent because you'll have little slots for a very long time, especially if you want to keep some for healing).
Or stay Fighter but go Eldricht Knight (Shield for offense, Shadow Blade for offense buff) either DEX (Mobile, Mage Slayer, Mirror Image) or STR (Heavy Armor Master, whatever).
If your Cleric pal does not play regularly, you could also go Tempest Cleric: nova damage coming from maximized Shatter/Booming Blade (feat).

3. Reroll your character as a multiclass. Opens many options.
- STR: Battlemaster / Barbarian: just pick Healer/Inspiring Leader to help others with resilience.
- DEX: Barbarian / Thief Rogue: Sneak Attack takes care of high damage, Rogue for CHA Expertise, dip in Barbarian for extra resilience.
- DEX: Life Cleric 1 / Ranger X: you'll have enough healing for party once you get Healing Spirit, and you're otherwise a Ranger. If you feel the need for being great face, pick Rogue 1 or Prodigy feat.
- WIS: Fighter 1 / Tempest Cleric 4: always go Booming Blade.
- CHA: Hexblade Warlock 1 / Divine Soul Sorcerer X: dip for better armor, go into the frontline and hold with Spirit Guardians.
- CHA: Hexblade 1 / Whispers Bard X: you'll get pretty decent nova damage when needed, Expertise, healing, other good spells, and later Magic Secrets. You can still push Hexblade later if you really want to pick Eldricht Smite, or Devotion Paladin for incredible weapon attack reliability.

Certainly a great list with a lot of options that I need to consider :smallsmile:

Spirit Guardians is a really cool spell which makes the Divine Soul Sorcerer a good option for me. Still think I would like that extra attack though, especially since PHB+1 is in effect for the AL games.

Hexblade/Whispers bard is also another good option, but it would force me to go to Hexblade 5 to get that extra attack that I covet :smallsmile:

CTurbo
2018-11-28, 06:02 AM
Go full Paladin no multiclass necessary.

Vengeance is tops in single target damage and also possibly gets the best spells, but probably has the worst level 7 feature.
Devotion is best for PAM and GWM and has a strong if not boring level 7 feature.
Ancients is the tankiest and probably has the best level 7 aura
Conquest is great, but you'll either love it or hate it. Very strong though when played correctly.

Anyway, go straight Paladin. It's a loaded well rounded class.