PDA

View Full Version : Alternate requirements for Assassin prc? (Pathfinder)

MonkeySage
2018-11-26, 09:42 AM
In my setting, there is (for lack of a better word) a religious cult, dedicated to the liberation of their homeland. They're basically a sect of a larger religion, and their main tool is assassination. Rather than creating a separate class from scratch, I was thinking of using the Assassin PrC with the following restrictions instead:
Must be non evil.
Alternate kill requirement(to be determined, open to suggestions)
Must be a Triad Faithful (the sect is called the Wrath of the Triad, and practices a good aligned religion called the Faith of the Triad)
Everything else should be the same.

Mechanically identical to the default prc, but these assassins don't accept payment, and they take their contracts from the good and neutral aligned triad priests. Targets are usually enemies to triad faithful: Slavers, religious oppressors, etc.

Torpin
2018-11-26, 10:07 AM
if you are going to make assassin any non evil, which i think is wrong, you need to make it non lawful.

Goaty14
2018-11-26, 10:26 AM
In my setting, there is (for lack of a better word) a religious cult, dedicated to the liberation of their homeland. They're basically a sect of a larger religion, and their main tool is assassination. Rather than creating a separate class from scratch, I was thinking of using the Assassin PrC with the following restrictions instead:
Must be non evil.
Alternate kill requirement(to be determined, open to suggestions)
Must be a Triad Faithful (the sect is called the Wrath of the Triad, and practices a good aligned religion called the Faith of the Triad)
Everything else should be the same.

Mechanically identical to the default prc, but these assassins don't accept payment, and they take their contracts from the good and neutral aligned triad priests. Targets are usually enemies to triad faithful: Slavers, religious oppressors, etc.

Isn't this basically what WotC did when they had the Avenger PrC (yes, it's an april fools joke, but still). If so, I don't see the problem with it.

Pleh
2018-11-26, 10:34 AM
It doesn't seem all that different from a Paladin (whose job is also to take mission from priests to slay evildoers).

You could borrow the kill requirements from League of Shadows in Batman Begins. "We've caught this criminal who must be executed. You must demonstrate your conviction to the Triad and perform his execution."

King of Nowhere
2018-11-26, 11:55 AM
yeah, could be as simple as "you must kill an enemy of the triad on instructions from the priests of the triad"

Pleh
2018-11-26, 12:55 PM
yeah, could be as simple as "you must kill an enemy of the triad on instructions from the priests of the triad"

The only reason I recommended the Batman Begins scene is it keeps a controlled environment. If the prereq for the class is, do the job you're applying for, it makes some sense, but it makes it harder for them to observe and get an idea for how you suit the job.

Particle_Man
2018-11-26, 01:12 PM
Isn't this basically what WotC did when they had the Avenger PrC (yes, it's an april fools joke, but still). If so, I don't see the problem with it.

Here is the link to the Avenger PrCl:

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070401a

3.5's Book of Exalted Deeds also has the Slayer of Domiel but that requires a good (indeed, Exalted) alignment so may not fit.

Pathfinder itself allows for the "assassination" ability (death attack, basically) in the Ninja and Slayer classes once they hit 10th level so maybe that is another way to go (use the Slayer class, just add flavour?).