PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder WOTR has a chaotic evil blight druid

Zhentarim
2018-11-26, 09:48 AM
Does this mean druids can be any alignment now?

How would you play an exalted druid of socothbenoth?

Palanan
2018-11-26, 10:05 AM
What is WOTR?

Zhentarim
2018-11-26, 10:39 AM
What is WOTR?

Wrath of the Righteous

Psyren
2018-11-26, 11:39 AM
I don't know if this was officially stated anywhere, but Blight Druid is based on the 3.5 Blighter PrC which is available to "fallen" druids. It's not unreasonable to me that a Blight Druid can be a retraining option for an Ex-Druid who has fallen out of balance with nature - i.e., one that went CE, fell, and then sought the powers of blight to regain their magic.

Thunder999
2018-11-26, 11:56 AM
Nothing has ever been published to allow that, so it might just be the typical mistakes you often see in NPC stat blocks (Paizo have certainly published enough personal range potions in them). There is also a mythic ability called beyond morality which ignores alignment requirements, but that leaves you with no alignment, not CE.

Particle_Man
2018-11-26, 01:16 PM
Maybe "Blight Druid" is a separate class from "Druid" and thus does not necessarily have the "Druid" alignment restriction?

Psyren
2018-11-26, 01:27 PM
Maybe "Blight Druid" is a separate class from "Druid" and thus does not necessarily have the "Druid" alignment restriction?

It's an archetype (kinda like an ACF, but more pervasive) so it inherits anything not specifically listed as being changed. For alignment requirements specifically, archetypes usually state whenever they're changed, e.g. Karmic Monk (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo-monk-archetypes/karmic-monk-monk-archetype/) or Insinuator (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/alternate-classes/antipaladin/archetypes/paizo-antipaladin-archetypes/insinuator-antipaladin-archetype/).

I'd call it a typo in the statblock, but allowing for CE Blight Druids seems to me an intended or desirable result, so I'm more inclined to think it was an omission in the archetype. I'm unaware of anything official clarifying the matter however.

tomandtish
2018-11-26, 04:26 PM
Nothing has ever been published to allow that, so it might just be the typical mistakes you often see in NPC stat blocks (Paizo have certainly published enough personal range potions in them). There is also a mythic ability called beyond morality which ignores alignment requirements, but that leaves you with no alignment, not CE.

From Blighter in Masters of the Wild, there are two requirements.

1: Must have any non-good alignment (note it does not specify anything more than that).

2: Must be an ex-druid capable of casting 3rd level spells.

Since a Blighter is an ex-druid, there's nothing holding them to the druid alignment, and the "any" part of any not-good means CE is certainly allowable. But there's nothing to indicate DRUIDS can be of any alignment...

zergling.exe
2018-11-26, 04:41 PM
From Blighter in Masters of the Wild, there are two requirements.

1: Must have any non-good alignment (note it does not specify anything more than that).

2: Must be an ex-druid capable of casting 3rd level spells.

Since a Blighter is an ex-druid, there's nothing holding them to the druid alignment, and the "any" part of any not-good means CE is certainly allowable. But there's nothing to indicate DRUIDS can be of any alignment...

The problem is that the referenced blight druid is a Pathfinder druid archetype, not the 3.5 Blighter PrC; it doesn't change the druid's alignment restrictions in any way.

the_david
2018-11-26, 06:22 PM
The easiest way to find out if this was intentional is to check the Paizo forum. You'll find WOTR under Pathfinder adventure path. There will be 6 threads stickied at the top of the list. Find the one for the adventure the CE druid is in. (You didn't mention the title...) The writers and editors will frequently answer questions in the stickied threads so there's a good chance the answer is already out there.

Zhentarim
2018-11-26, 06:37 PM
The easiest way to find out if this was intentional is to check the Paizo forum. You'll find WOTR under Pathfinder adventure path. There will be 6 threads stickied at the top of the list. Find the one for the adventure the CE druid is in. (You didn't mention the title...) The writers and editors will frequently answer questions in the stickied threads so there's a good chance the answer is already out there.

Paizo forum indentified the CE druid statblock was a typo and was supposed to be a NE druid.