PDA

View Full Version : Compelling a Creature to Fail a Save

darknite
2018-11-26, 01:16 PM
The PH says the following about spell saving throws...

Many spells specify that a target can make a saving throw to avoid some or all of a spell's effects. The spell specifies the ability that the target uses for the save and what happens on a success or failure.

Given this, can a PC compel a creature under their influence - be it Charm, a really good Persuasion attempt, etc - to not save against a spell you then cast upon them?

Tolkin
2018-11-26, 01:18 PM
I don't think they can unless it's a servant type of thing where the creature obeys the PC's every command. Charm wouldn't work due to it not working that way neither would the spell suggestion (That's what I believe).

Potato_Priest
2018-11-26, 01:18 PM
Not by any variety of RAW, but you can always ask your DM. It's not entirely unreasonable.

Man_Over_Game
2018-11-26, 01:22 PM
The PH says the following about spell saving throws...

Many spells specify that a target can make a saving throw to avoid some or all of a spell's effects. The spell specifies the ability that the target uses for the save and what happens on a success or failure.

Given this, can a PC compel a creature under their influence - be it Charm, a really good Persuasion attempt, etc - to not save against a spell you then cast upon them?

I take that is implying that "Spells can cause saving throws", to indicate that not ALL spells cause saving throws.
--OR--
"The target can avoid some or all of the spell's effects if they make a saving throw", implying that some effects can change depending on whether or not the saving throw is made.
--NOT--
"The target can choose to make a saving throw".

Additionally, Crawford has stated that "No rule lets you opt to fail a save. As DM, I might allow it, assuming you aren't incapacitated or dominated." ('https://mobile.twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/708009718757720064) Mearls has had a similar opinion.

darknite
2018-11-26, 01:31 PM
Good clarifications. Thanks!