PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Path of Shifting Fury (Transforming Barbarian subclass)

Grod_The_Giant
2018-11-26, 02:40 PM
Path of Shifting Fury
Some men and women's rage is too great to be confined to mortal frames. Followers of the Path of Shifting Fury warp and transform their very bodies as they rage.

Emblem of Rage: At 3rd level, you choose one of three forms your rage will take: Bestial, Demonic, or Titanic. In addition to determining the nature of your rage, you gain the following benefit at all times:

Bestial: You can Dash as a bonus action.
Demonic: You gain Resistance to fire damage.
Titanic: You count as one size category larger for all purposes, though your weapons do not deal extra damage and you do not have extra reach.

Shifting Rage: At 3rd level, when you Rage, you may choose to enter a Shifting Rage. Your body takes on some of the physical attributes of your emblem, granting additional benefits. However, you are even more lost to rage than normal, imposing disadvantage on Intelligence checks and saves.

Bestial: You sprout claws, fangs, fur, scales, and other animalistic features. Your unarmed strikes deal 1d6 damage, and you can make an unarmed strike as a bonus action after taking the Attack action. You can choose what sort of natural weapons you grow-- if you use claws, this damage is slashing; if you use a horn or make a bite attack, this damage is piercing.
Demonic: Your skin turns to a dark, leathery red, spiraling horns sprout from your brow, a barbed tail from the base of your back, and so on. Spines jutting from your body deal 1d4 piercing damage to any creature who strikes you with a non-reach melee attack; you may also use the spines to make unarmed strikes which deal 1d4 damage.
Titanic: Your height and weight almost double, muscles straining at the bounds of your armor. Your reach increases by 5ft, and your weapon attacks deal an additional 1d4 damage.

Raging Regeneration: At 6th level, the effects of your Shifting Rage continue to grow.

Bestial: While Raging, you regain hit points equal to your Constitution modifier at the start of each of your turns.
Demonic: While Raging, bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage that you take from non-magical weapons is reduced by an amount equal to your Constitution modifier. Apply this reduction before Resistance.
Titanic: When you begin your Shifting Rage, you gain temporary hit points equal to twice your Barbarian level. Remaining temporary hit points are lost at the end of the rage.

Greater Emblem: At 10th level, you gain another permanent bonus.

Bestial: You gain a climb speed and a swim speed equal to your base land speed, and may jump twice as far as normal.
Demonic: You gain immunity to poison, and Resistance to cold and lightning damage.
Titanic: You gain a +5 bonus to Strength checks.

Shifting Fury: At 14th level, the effects of your Shifting Rage grow still more.

Bestial: When a creature strikes you with a melee attack, you may use your reaction to make an unarmed strike against them.
Demonic: You sprout a pair of batlike wings, granting you a fly speed equal to your land speed.
Titanic: You may move through the squares of enemies of your size or smaller. Creatures may attempt to dive out of the way with a Dexterity save (DC 8+Prof+Str), or to stop you with an opposed Strength (Athletics) check. If they fail either check, they are knocked prone and take 1d8+Str damage. Creatures who succeed on their Dexterity save must move 5ft in any direction, and take no damage. If a creature succeeds on their Strength (Athletics) check, they do not take damage and you lose all remaining movement for the turn.

ShadowSandbag
2018-11-26, 10:55 PM
I'm not great at balance, but this looks neat! I think the Titanic Shifting Rage should be changed to a passive effect like the other two transformations, but I don't have a great idea for a replacement.

I also think the shifting fury needs to be changed, they all feel pretty weak. The Greater Emblem abilities all feel stronger to me.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-11-27, 01:25 PM
I'm not great at balance, but this looks neat! I think the Titanic Shifting Rage should be changed to a passive effect like the other two transformations, but I don't have a great idea for a replacement.
I could replace the Demonic Shifting Rage with something else and give Titanic +1d4 weapon damage; that tracks with Enlarge/Reduce?

I also think the shifting fury needs to be changed, they all feel pretty weak. The Greater Emblem abilities all feel stronger to me.
Apart from the Totem Warrior, the pattern seems to be "strong at-will ability at 10th, reaction type ability at 14th. But... hmm. How's it look now?

Vogie
2018-11-27, 04:07 PM
Titanic Greater Emblem seems a bit much - I'd probably drop the Strength boost. Natural 10 foot reach (and up to 15 feet with a reach weapon) is already huge alongside the speed boost.

Thoughts:

I feel like one of them should have a charge attack (bonus action attack after Dash action). Maybe Bestial? Could also be demonic, as a horn rush a la Minotaur Gore.
A Trample effect, like the 3.5e special ability, would also work for Titanic's Shifting Fury ability.
Bestial Shifting Rage needs a damage type, or the indicator for the player to pick one based on animal feature gained (slashing for claws, piercing for fangs, etc).
I feel like some sort of small downside should be involved in a Shifting rage. Not as steep as Berzerker's Frenzied Rage's exhaustion, but something.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-11-27, 05:43 PM
Titanic Greater Emblem seems a bit much - I'd probably drop the Strength boost. Natural 10 foot reach (and up to 15 feet with a reach weapon) is already huge alongside the speed boost.
How 'bout the boost on its own?

I feel like one of them should have a charge attack (bonus action attack after Dash action). Maybe Bestial? Could also be demonic, as a horn rush a la Minotaur Gore.
Seems fitting for Beast, yeah.

A Trample effect, like the 3.5e special ability, would also work for Titanic's Shifting Fury ability.
Ooh, yeah, that's what I was looking for. Good call.

Bestial Shifting Rage needs a damage type, or the indicator for the player to pick one based on animal feature gained (slashing for claws, piercing for fangs, etc).
You're right, yes.

I feel like some sort of small downside should be involved in a Shifting rage. Not as steep as Berzerker's Frenzied Rage's exhaustion, but something.
A bit too much with no downside? Or just a fluffy thing?

ATHATH
2018-11-27, 07:28 PM
Demonic: Your skin turns to a dark, leathery red, spiraling horns sprout from your brow, a barbed tail from the base of your back, and so on. Spines jutting from your body deal 1d4 piercing damage to any creature who strikes you with a melee attack; you may also use the spines to make unarmed strikes which deal 1d4 damage.
Do these spines retaliate against attacks made with reach weapons? How about attacks made by Thorn Whip cantrips?
I mean, it'd be cool if they'd fire off of your skin like missiles or temporarily extend to impale people, but I just wanted to check (especially since this is inconsistent with some other, similar effects).

While in a Shifting Rage, you have Disadvantage on Perception checks, and on Dexterity and Intelligence checks and saves.
Why do Shifting Fury Barbarians get this penalty while Raging(,) while normal Barbarians don't?

Titanic: You may move through the squares of enemies of Large size or smaller. Creatures must make a Strength save (DC 8+Prof+Con) or be knocked prone and take 1d8+Str bludgeoning damage. If a creature succeeds on its save, you cannot move through its square.
You should probably the size limit for this effect relative to your size. Also, if you fail to move through someone's square with this ability, does it still cost movement? Can you try to move through a creature that makes its save's square again with your next movement attempt? Can you never, ever, ever try to move through a creature that made its save's square again, even if you try to use another ability to do so ten years after they initially made their save?

Vogie
2018-11-28, 09:04 AM
[CENTER][SIZE=5]
While in a Shifting Rage, you have Disadvantage on Perception checks, and on Dexterity and Intelligence checks and saves.

I think all three is too much. Well, Disadvantage on Intelligence checks/saves isn't that big of deal, and perception while raging isn't as terrifying. Maybe just Disadvantage on Dexterity, as a nod that being bigger?

Ooh, maybe the could be based on which form you choose!
Bestial has disadvantage on Intelligence/Wisdom, as you become a beast
Titanic has disadvantage on Dexterity, as you are now the size of the broad side of a barn
Demonic has disadvantage on Charisma and constitution unless you're targeted by fiends, or demons

Actually, Danger Sense gives you "advantage on Dexterity saving throws against effects that you can see, such as traps and spells" at level 2, so maybe rewording the Titanic one as just "losing danger sense"?

Do these spines retaliate against attacks made with reach weapons? How about attacks made by Thorn Whip cantrips?
I mean, it'd be cool if they'd fire off of your skin like missiles or temporarily extend to impale people, but I just wanted to check (especially since this is inconsistent with some other, similar effects).

It states melee attack, so it'd only be the melee cantrips (Shocking grasp, booming blade)

You should probably the size limit for this effect relative to your size. Also, if you fail to move through someone's square with this ability, does it still cost movement? Can you try to move through a creature that makes its save's square again with your next movement attempt? Can you never, ever, ever try to move through a creature that made its save's square again, even if you try to use another ability to do so ten years after they initially made their save?

That's a decent point. I wonder how to word "your size or smaller, after you have grown in size". If you're larger than another creature, I think you'd be able to stride right through them.

If you do want to have it repeatable, Grod, maybe add advantage to further trample checks? Or switch it to Dexterity, as a "scamper out of the way" thing?

Grod_The_Giant
2018-11-28, 09:14 AM
They're not really meant to shoot or extend...I guess "while within reach" or some such would be appropriate.

Why do Shifting Fury Barbarians get this penalty while Raging(,) while normal Barbarians don't?

I think all three is too much. Well, Disadvantage on Intelligence checks/saves isn't that big of deal, and perception while raging isn't as terrifying. Maybe just Disadvantage on Dexterity, as a nod that being bigger?
Yeah... to be honest, I think a thematic "Int checks and saves" is all I really want--that decently represents a greater surrender to rage without really penalizing you much...

That's a decent point. I wonder how to word "your size or smaller, after you have grown in size". If you're larger than another creature, I think you'd be able to stride right through them.

If you do want to have it repeatable, Grod, maybe add advantage to further trample checks? Or switch it to Dexterity, as a "scamper out of the way" thing?
I'll fiddle with the wording.

Vogie
2018-11-28, 09:24 AM
This Rug really brings the whole room together, man.

Titanic: You gain a +5 bonus to Strength checks.

Maybe saves too? Or add a climbing speed?

Titanic: You may move through the squares of enemies of your size or smaller. Creatures may attempt to dive out of the way with a Dexterity save (DC 8+Prof+Str), or to stop you with an opposed Strength (Athletics) check. If they fail either check, they are knocked prone and take 1d8+Str damage. Creatures who succeed on their Dexterity save must move 5ft in any direction, and take no damage. If a creature succeeds on their Strength (Athletics) check, they do not take damage and you lose all remaining movement for the turn.

That's a nice go-between, with a dash of "You shall not pass" mixed in there.

Love your stuff, Grod.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-11-28, 10:06 AM
Maybe saves too?
Wouldn't be too strong, you don't think? Between proficiency and a Str focus, that would take you from "great saves" to "lol, I'm not failing."

Love your stuff, Grod.
Thanks! I'm always glad for your feedback. And fear not, there will be more. I've got a list... :smallwink: