PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Is Deity and Ideal interchangeable?

sorcererlover
2018-11-26, 03:03 PM
So for like things like Substitute Domain, Contemplative, and Domain Draught where it says it grants you a domain available to your deity, can clerics of ideals replace Deity with Ideals and use these things?

Troacctid
2018-11-26, 03:26 PM
Depends on the setting and on the DM's discretion. In Eberron, for example, that may be the case, as clerics of an ideal are considered to draw their power from Siberys, the Dragon Above. In Greyhawk, if you don't have a deity, then you might not be able to use those effects at all. In the Forgotten Realms, I don't think it's even possible to be a cleric without a deity in the first place. You're also going to see variation depending on the DM.

RoboEmperor
2018-11-26, 03:57 PM
So for like things like Substitute Domain, Contemplative, and Domain Draught where it says it grants you a domain available to your deity, can clerics of ideals replace Deity with Ideals and use these things?

For Contemplative at least the answer is yes.

EXTRA DOMAINS

Several of the prestige classes described in this chapter allow a member of that class to select an additional domain, which gives an additional granted power and offers more spells for the character to choose as domain spells. Sometimes a domain is specified, and other times a character can choose from any domains offered by his deity (or can choose any domain if he doesn’t worship a specific god).

The others, probably not.

sorcererlover
2018-11-26, 04:45 PM
Depends on the setting and on the DM's discretion. In Eberron, for example, that may be the case, as clerics of an ideal are considered to draw their power from Siberys, the Dragon Above. In Greyhawk, if you don't have a deity, then you might not be able to use those effects at all. In the Forgotten Realms, I don't think it's even possible to be a cleric without a deity in the first place. You're also going to see variation depending on the DM.

Thanks!

For Contemplative at least the answer is yes.

The others, probably not.

Ok. I was hoping more for yes to Substitute Domain but I guess Contemplative isn't so bad.

bean illus
2018-11-26, 05:53 PM
Paragnostic Apostle let's you choose any domain (minus incompatible) up to 5 times. Pretty cheesy actually.

3. Cloistered 3 2/deity, knowledge
4. Inquisitor. 4 inquisition
5. Ordained. 5 war
6. Holt ward 6 plant
7. Seeker .... 7 travel
8. Disciple .. 8 per deity3
9. Oracle ... . 9 oracle
10. Warpriest 10 glory
11. Contemplative 11 per deity4
12-20 Paragnostic +6 ANY

Equals 17 domains, of which 4 are /deity and 6 are ANY. I think a lawful neutral elf ...

DM mileage may vary.

Torpin
2018-11-26, 05:55 PM
Just ask your DM, really depends on their world.