PDA

View Full Version : Paladin/Sorcerer/Warlock multiclass breakpoints

Expected
2018-11-26, 03:24 PM
I'm currently in two campaigns and for my second character, I was thinking of making a Sorcadin. I'd like to do GWM + PAM with a glaive/halberd but I'm not sure about the heavy feats necessary to do so. I'd have 15-8-15-8-12-17 as a Half-Elf and at level 4 Paladin I would take Elven Accuracy (Cha) for 18 Cha. I would probably go Oath of Vengeance for the x1/LR advantage, but I'm interested in Find Steed and Mounted Combatant if it's more reliable. My question is: What are the ideal levels for this? I imagine it's Paladin 6/Shadow Soul Sorcerer x/Pact of the Blade Hexblade Warlock 3 but I'm unsure. Half-Elf and Elven Accuracy is not mandatory and I would gladly go Variant Human if it is indeed better. Help, please? Any advice would be appreciated.

LudicSavant
2018-11-26, 03:30 PM
I'm currently in two campaigns and for my second character, I was thinking of making a Sorcadin. I'd like to do GWM + PAM with a glaive/halberd but I'm not sure about the heavy feats necessary to do so. I'd have 15-8-15-8-12-17 as a Half-Elf and at level 4 Paladin I would take Elven Accuracy (Cha) for 18 Cha. I would probably go Oath of Vengeance for the x1/LR advantage, but I'm interested in Find Steed and Mounted Combatant if it's more reliable. My question is: What are the ideal levels for this? I imagine it's Paladin 6/Shadow Soul Sorcerer x/Pact of the Blade Hexblade Warlock 3 but I'm unsure. Half-Elf and Elven Accuracy is not mandatory and I would gladly go Variant Human if it is indeed better. Help, please? Any advice would be appreciated.

You're missing a bunch of ASIs with your planned 6 / X / 3 combo, which makes the PAM/GWM/EA setup less practical. You only have 3 ASIs over 20 levels with that multiclass, so this is eating up all of them, coming online late, and leaving no room for stat-boosting.

Also, GWM is less valuable when you have higher damage per-hit (which you do), since you're risking more of your damage with the -5 (or rather, -6 compared to if you had just boosted your attack stat).

Also, PAM is less valuable when you already have a bunch of bonus actions, which you also do (from both Hexblade and Sorcerer).

Expected
2018-11-26, 03:33 PM
You're missing a bunch of ASIs with your planned 6 / X / 3 combo, which makes the PAM/GWM/EA setup less practical. You only have 3 ASIs over 20 levels, so this is eating up all of them, coming online late, and leaving no room for stat-boosting.

Also, GWM is less valuable when you have higher damage per-hit (which you do), since you're risking more of your damage with the -5 (or rather, -6 compared to if you had just boosted your attack stat).

Also, PAM is less valuable when you already have a bunch of bonus actions, which you also do (from both Hexblade and Sorcerer).

In that case, would a sword and board build (possibly with shield master) be better? I would need War Caster for the Sorcerer/Warlock spells. I know that most of my damage will come from Divine Smite--hopefully with critical hits--so it's not important to have a high weapon damage die.