PDA

View Full Version : DM Help immunity to death effects (plus a few other bits)

King of Nowhere
2018-11-26, 03:54 PM
After another failed saving throw, my players are looking into items of immunity to death effects, "possibly immune to disjunction" (as they know they'll face a villain whose main strategy is disjunction + quickened banshee's wail).

I'm not sure how much it should cost, so I'm asking here what are the various options. Possibly expensive ones, if death immunity was cheap I'd have to retroactively justify why a lot of other major villains didn't have it :smalltongue:.

As for "immune to disjunction", the only thing I can think of is using miracle/wish to ask the specific item to be immune to disjunction, which would add the cost of the spell to it.

Since I'm here asking, the barbarian also asked "I look for new combat techniques/training"; normally I'd suggest him a bunch of prc, or feats, but it seems a bit lame. I could give a quest for a minor buff, but trust me, that character does not need one. So I wonder if anyone has any cool ideas I could use to fulfill his request, mostly fluff-wise.

Cruiser1
2018-11-26, 05:05 PM
Immunity to death effects: Cast (Mass) Death Ward, or get an item of it. For example, Death Ward armor (MIC) is just a +1 bonus for 1/day death ward effect, and Soulfire Armor (BoED) is a +4 bonus for continuous total immunity.

Disjunction prevention: Get everybody a Ring of Spell-Battle (MIC) for only 12K gp, which allows one to 1/day redirect a spell being cast within 60 feet of you elsewhere (such as redirect Disjunction back on the caster, or off to the side if you don't want to damage their loot).

Barbarian's new techniques: Give him or have him quest for some items from Tome of Battle, which grant martial maneuvers and stances.

Troacctid
2018-11-26, 05:42 PM
There is actually a RAW way to train so hard that you become immune to death effects! It doesn't require any feats or prestige classes, and it can't be destroyed by disjunction. The answer is in DMG2: Companion spirits. The Shroud companion provides a bonus on saves against death effects and allows each team member to gain a death ward effect for 2 minutes per day. The whole team needs to perform a simple ritual requiring a DC 15 Spellcraft check and a material and XP cost, and...that's it! Anyone can do it, provided they are high enough level.

DMG2 also has bonded magic items, which would allow the barbarian to craft a magic item through sheer force of will without any of the feats or prerequisites he would normally need.

Another option if you want a quest hook would be for him to hear of a mysterious sect that knows a secret technique to become immune to death effects. Following up on it would eventually reveal that it is a sect of evil Necropolitans (Libris Mortis) who are gaining their immortality through undeath. The players could then choose whether to ally with them and undergo the ritual to become undead themselves, or fight them and take their loot, which could contain research into techniques that might help them in other ways (such as those noted above).

You could also do a sidequest to the city of Manifest (Ghostwalk) and have them learn stuff there.

Crake
2018-11-27, 12:48 AM
Becoming undead is undisjoinable and gives immunity to death effects (which is to say, it gives immunity to all effects that require a fortitude save, which is 90% of death effects).

Elkad
2018-11-27, 08:40 AM
Becoming undead is undisjoinable and gives immunity to death effects (which is to say, it gives immunity to all effects that require a fortitude save, which is 90% of death effects).

And comes with it's own death effect, getting blasted to dust via Turning.
If the opponent can't get to that high a roll, there is still a no-save-or-lose in normal Turning. Whether that is by running away or killing your friends is only slightly relevant.

Anthrowhale
2018-11-27, 01:19 PM
Obviously, a high will save + Soulfire armor is a solid combination vs. Disjunction + quickened Wail of the Banshee. AMF also works at a lower level and there are some reasonably cheap items providing access to AMF like the Torc of Antimagic.

For the Barbarian, allowing him to rebuild as per PHII 196 into a Runescarred Berserker (Unapproachable East) provides a significant degree of magical competence while preserving much of the barbarian flavor. In particular, this grants access to AMF and Death Ward.

King of Nowhere
2018-11-27, 03:00 PM
For the Barbarian, allowing him to rebuild as per PHII 196 into a Runescarred Berserker (Unapproachable East) provides a significant degree of magical competence while preserving much of the barbarian flavor. In particular, this grants access to AMF and Death Ward.

funny thing, he already is doing just that. And I already gave him a sidequest to do it :smallsmile: