PDA

View Full Version : Stealth Elf

wookietek
2018-11-26, 07:45 PM
I'm new-ish to 5ed. Anyone have any fun ideas for how to build Stealth Elf from Skylanders? My son wants to use her as inspiration for his new campaign. It doesn't have to be identical, but hopefully we can contain a lot of the flavor...

Nhorianscum
2018-11-26, 07:49 PM
Mark of shadows from ebberon is a good start, from there rouge or bard (or both).

Expertise in stealth +1d4 and hide absolutely anywhere 1/short rest (to be clear this is straight up MOBA stealth, hide on a beholders face). Fluff the rest with spells/subclasses to your liking.

Aett_Thorn
2018-11-26, 07:52 PM
I'm new-ish to 5ed. Anyone have any fun ideas for how to build Stealth Elf from Skylanders? My son wants to use her as inspiration for his new campaign. It doesn't have to be identical, but hopefully we can contain a lot of the flavor...

For those of us unfamiliar with the character, can you give us a little bit more to go on? I mean, I can guess that they're an Elf that is sneaky. But anything else that we can use to help build something?

Expected
2018-11-26, 09:03 PM
I researched a little about the Stealth Elf from the Skylander series. I would create a female Wood Elf Scout Rogue or Samurai Fighter with the Outlander (Forester) background. Choose proficiency in Stealth, Survival, and Nature for flavor (unless going Scout Rogue). If you do go Rogue, wield two daggers and/or two shortswords if you pick up the Dual Wielder feat. It is not optimal for combat but ideal for her to RP the character from Skylanders.

Grimmnist
2018-11-26, 09:13 PM
I researched a little about the Stealth Elf from the Skylander series. I would create a female Wood Elf Scout Rogue or Samurai Fighter with the Outlander (Forester) background. Choose proficiency in Stealth, Survival, and Nature for flavor (unless going Scout Rogue). If you do go Rogue, wield two daggers and/or two shortswords if you pick up the Dual Wielder feat. It is not optimal for combat but ideal for her to RP the character from Skylanders.

I agree with this, though I would recommend the rogue option as it gets Expertise for stealth. Quick note, you could wield two shortswords right away since they are light, the Dual Wielder feat would let you wield two rapiers.

LudicSavant
2018-11-26, 09:21 PM
For those of us unfamiliar with the character, can you give us a little bit more to go on? I mean, I can guess that they're an Elf that is sneaky. But anything else that we can use to help build something?

Also unfamiliar, but I googled up some videos and it seems to be a nimble teleporting elf that cuts people to ribbons with telekinetic animated blades.

Stealth, despite the name, doesn't seem to be one of the core themes for her gameplay. Kind of like how most of the ninjas in Naruto don't sneak at all.

stoutstien
2018-11-26, 09:31 PM
Also unfamiliar, but I googled up some videos and it seems to be a nimble teleporting elf that cuts people to ribbons with telekinetic animated blades.

Stealth, despite the name, doesn't seem to be one of the core themes for her gameplay. Kind of like how most of the ninjas in Naruto don't sneak at all.
So horizon walker with Shadow blade?

Teaguethebean
2018-11-26, 09:41 PM
I would argue wood elf arcane trickster outlander background or instead of arcane trickster shadow monk.

wookietek
2018-11-26, 11:56 PM
The part I can't figure out is the Dimension Door ability she uses at will. Obviously at will would be op, but a couple times per rest?

LudicSavant
2018-11-26, 11:58 PM
The part I can't figure out is the Dimension Door ability she uses at will. Obviously at will would be op, but a couple times per rest?

Looks more like a short range teleport like Misty Step or Fey Step than Dimension Door. But again, not very familiar with source material.

strangebloke
2018-11-27, 12:24 AM
From the wiki:

Stealth Elf is extremely agile, able to skewer and slash swiftly at her enemies with her daggers and swords, and take down her foes by surprise. She can literally disappear, and at exactly the same time, create a decoy version of herself. As she does so, Stealth Elf uses invisible stealth to attack the enemies when they are attacking her decoy.

Her Forest Ninja path can also create replica scarecrows of herself wielding scythes to attack other advancing enemies. Her Pook Blade Saint path Elf Jitsu can release Poison Spores as a combo, she can also release a Blade Flurry as another combo.

She's not teleporting. She's turning invisible, having a decoy run distraction, and then attacking when they're distracted.

With that in mind, my vote is for wood elf trickery cleric 3+, trickster rogue 3+

You can bonus action hide in light natural obscurement, (which you can create with fog cloud) you've got spiritual weapon for simulating the scythe monsters, and you've got your channel Divinity and mirror image for duplicates. You go heavier into cleric for more spells, heavier into rogue for more slashing.

I could also see a case for a warlock who uses the at-will invisibility ability.

CTurbo
2018-11-27, 06:35 AM
Wood Elf
Half Gloom Stalker, Half Arcane Trickster, Half Shadow Monk
=profit

LudicSavant
2018-11-27, 06:51 AM
From the wiki:

She's not teleporting. She's turning invisible, having a decoy run distraction, and then attacking when they're distracted

Oh. So it's basically Substitution Jutsu, which just happens to look like teleporting that leaves a decoy behind. Makes sense.

Unoriginal
2018-11-27, 07:24 AM
My advice is to not try to get a perfect match. D&D magic isn't the most suited for characters who use a lot of dynamic powers like that

Spiritchaser
2018-11-27, 07:40 AM

Is he more taken with the blade saint path or forest ninja path? They’d be quite different I think

(I too have a son who plays Skylanders. He’s perfectly happy with hero kids at the moment, perhaps some day he’ll get into D&D)

BloodSnake'sCha
2018-11-27, 08:45 AM
Relentless Hex is a level 7 invocation for warlocks that let you TP to your hex target.

You can use it with the spell mirror image and the One with Shadows(lv5)/Shroud of Shadow(lv15) invocation.

Or you can just use the Lv6 The Archfey Warlock feature

Misty Escape
Starting at 6th level, you can vanish in a puff of mist in response to harm. When you take damage, you can use your reaction to turn invisible and teleport up to 60 feet to an unoccupied space you can see. You remain invisible until the start of your next turn or until you attack or cast a spell.

Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

wookietek
2018-11-27, 09:58 AM
This is all very helpful! I've got some homework to do, but thanks all! And I'm not looking for an exact match, so this is all doable

mangosta71
2018-11-27, 10:13 AM
May want to consider Shadar-Kai instead of wood elf for the free daily teleport.

mangosta71
2018-11-29, 08:59 PM
Something that occurs to me is that if you're willing to use UA material, the mystic class (Order of the Nomad) might be reasonably close to what you want.

Unoriginal
2018-11-30, 05:05 AM
May want to consider Shadar-Kai instead of wood elf for the free daily teleport.

Or Eladrin, perhaps.