PDA

View Full Version : New saltwater tank

MikelaC1
2018-11-26, 10:21 PM
I have been building a saltwater tank, and have been taking pictures every stage that I go through. Seeing as the tank is now at a state it will be staying at for some time, I thought I would share them with the board.
https://imgur.com/a/SB2o5ri
#1-the tank, just arrived
#2-water showed covering the live sand
#3-the powerheads and heater attached
#4-the overflow that takes water to the sump
#5-the first shipment of live rock
#6-the jugs needed to half fill the tank
#7-the sandstorm that was caused by the first filling
#8-the tank settled after
#9,10, 11-the first inhabitants of the tank the snails
#12-more live rock and the first fish, blue damsels
#13-another shot of all the rock
#14-another damsel
#15-the protein skimmer, one of the most important parts of filtration
#16-the rest of the sump
#20-more fish, added sunday
#21-the clowns (Nemo fish)
#22, #23-damsels
#24-blue tang (the Dory fish) and side shot of yellow tang
#25. #27-falme angel
#28-yellow tang

DeadToRide
2018-11-26, 10:59 PM
Ooooh I can hear my wallet screaming just reading this thread haha. I freaking loved my salt water setups but if I was doing it again it would be a small Berlin system.

Going through your imgur album now, is this your first salt water project?

DeadToRide
2018-11-26, 11:01 PM
Where did you get the live rock? I caught maybe half a dozen mantis shrimp in mine over the course of a few weeks. If you're hearing loud clicking noises occasionally you might want to keep your eye out.

MikelaC1
2018-11-27, 03:32 PM
Ooooh I can hear my wallet screaming just reading this thread haha. I freaking loved my salt water setups but if I was doing it again it would be a small Berlin system.

Going through your imgur album now, is this your first salt water project?

You do remember that while smaller builds are cheaper, they are much harder to maintain in terms of chemical balance.
My first saltwater tank was done entirely by the LFS, as I had no idea of everything that was involved. I bought a second tank then, which was done in collaboration with the seller. In the meantime, the first tank was broken down into a freshwater tank, but then I decided I didn't want that second tank (there were many issues with it), so I sold it off and converted the freshwater tank back to being saltwater and that was all done by me. It flourished, the only reason I had to sell was because I was moving and moving a saltwater tank is even harder than starting up a new one.